I don't use anything like iCloud, Box, Skydrive etc...

Still waiting to get a BB10 but I can see myself never using cloud storage, aside from some email accounts, when I can have all my personal stuff on a home desktop with a huge hardrive.

Anyone else agree? Do they like the cloud services for different reasons? Will you continue to use them?

I wonder if 10.1 and file access is the real reason RIM didn't keep newbay as it became redundant.

I thought of one advantage. Sharing between multiple users I imagine would be easier using 'the cloud'
    05-02-13 04:00 PM
    At least in the past, most people's fancy fast home internet connection was fast only in one direction (downloading), and relatively slow for outgoing traffic. For example, I just tested mine at got 6Mbps for data coming into my PC, and only 1Mbps for traffic leaving it.

There's also the fact that most people have crappy or non-existent backup at home, either for data or for power (e.g. a UPS). If you look at the cost of adding that, you can pay for a lot of cloud storage, and get far greater reliability and ease of use.

There's definitely still a place for the cloud out there, and I doubt that part of BlackBerry's plan with this feature is to obsolete it.
    a1s2d3f4g5 likes this.
    05-02-13 04:08 PM
    Err isn't BlackBerry id pretty much cloud storage?

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 05:10 PM

Still waiting to get a BB10 but I can see myself never using cloud storage, aside from some email accounts, when I can have all my personal stuff on a home desktop with a huge hardrive.

I thought of one advantage. Sharing between multiple users I imagine would be easier using 'the cloud'
    So you think the BBLink solution obsoletes the cloud? This is a laughable premise.

If the only computers you own are the PC you have at home and your Z10/Q10, then maybe so. But If you have a laptop or use your work PC, sorry no cloud for you. If you own an iPad or an Android device, too bad. When you are using your Playbook or legacy BBOS device, you're disconnected as well. You don't really have a cloud, you have an island.

What about your todo lists? The remember app is fine if you never need to see your lists from your work PC. I want to be able to organize my tasks from every device. Sure the Remember app, thanks to the crippled Evernote integration, lets you do this because Evernote is cross platform. If you're using the Remember app for this, then you're already using the "cloud".

You may not realize it, but you're relying on the cloud for more than you think.
    05-02-13 05:18 PM
    If BlackBerry link is BlackBerry's idea to kill the cloud then they need to get back to the drawing board.
    But BlackBerry use cloud services as much as anyone. Your BlackBerry id that stores all your BlackBerry world information and bbm information. That is just one example

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 05:25 PM
    If BlackBerry link is BlackBerry's idea to kill the cloud then they need to get back to the drawing board.
    Fortunately that isn't Blackberry's idea, it was the OPs. If it were then Blackberry is completely out of touch.
    05-02-13 05:44 PM
    BlackBerry was into cloud computing with the NOC before it was called the cloud lol. 10.1 and file access gives users yet another option to access their stuff. I don't think the intention is to kill cloud computing though.

With services like Evernote and Dropbox, in addition to on my phones or tablets, I can access my stuff anywhere I have a computer. I'm not tied into one device for access. I can work on something at home, save it to Dropbox, then pick it up at work in the morning, or vice versa. I can make edits on the fly while I'm out and share it to my assistant in the office so that she can deal with whatever it is right away. I can also see where being able to access my home PC from my Z10 would be useful as well. Perhaps I'm talking to a friend and there's a file I want to get to him on the spur of the moment.

Options and different ways of doing things are always a good thing. It doesn't always have to be cloud vs local, apps vs browser, open vs closed, BlackBerry vs everyone else
    05-02-13 07:51 PM
    I personally like cloud storage. Especially the ones like Google Drive and Dropbox. They allow me to link my pc files to the internet and then to my phone, almost seamlessly.

However, I don't like when OEM's like HTC omit sdcard support making cloud storage more of a necessity than a luxury.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2
    05-02-13 08:13 PM
    Everyone can have their own cloud. Use your NAS as you own personal cloud.
    05-02-13 08:22 PM
    Everyone can have their own cloud. Use your NAS as you own personal cloud.
    Only if it's remotely accessible.
    05-02-13 08:37 PM

Anyone else agree? Do they like the cloud services for different reasons? Will you continue to use them?

I wonder if 10.1 and file access is the real reason RIM didn't keep newbay as it became redundant.

Sharing to oneself or others is the whole point, so you can have your data anywhere. Work on projects with coworkers without being in the same spot or worrying about scheduling access, or share photos and videos of your kids with family anywhere in the world.

Sometimes I even use it as a lazy-man's file transfer: I might want a file on another machine but it happens to be powered off/sleeping, so I'll put it in Dropbox or Skydrive and have it download when I power on that 2nd machine later.
    05-02-13 08:44 PM
    Telus in Canada is blocking ports needed by my NAS to make accessible from external Internet. This is Telus policy and only option to to change up higher cost net plan...or find an alternate service provider.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 10:48 PM