I called Audible today and talked to a knowledgeable tech person who said there was not going to be an Audible app for the BB Z10--any BB, for that matter--because last Friday BlackBerry told Audible they didn't want to distribute the Audible app through BlackBerry World. Apparently, BB has withdrawn all Audible apps from BB World, even for the legacy devices, although there are working versions floating around, and they still work.

Audible is a subscription service, gives its app away because you can't use it unless you subscribe, and wants to work with BB. The tech had no idea why BB was rejecting all Audible apps. There could be business reasons of which the tech is not aware, although it's hard to imagine what they would be. Seems to me it's a win-win proposition to carry an Audible app--what would it cost BB? Are they competing with their own audiobooks? I don't know.

Being a long time Audible subscriber, with many of their audiobooks in my library, this is very disappointing and irritating. Why does BB do this to its customers? I'm beginning to wonder if I made the wrong decision by not getting an Android phone. (Too late for me to return the Z10.) Incidentally, none of the existing Audible Android apps I've found will work on the Z10 when side loaded as bar files. Maybe someone here knows of one that will work.

So, anyone reading this who wants Audible to be available to them on a mobile phone, consider buying an Android phone or an iPhone instead.
    shadwellal likes this.
    05-01-13 09:42 PM
    Instead of being forced to buy an iProduct or Android because a company or two or three no longer supports Blackberry - why not complain to those companies? Stop supporting them.

I am also a long time Audible customer and on 4/26/13 they have officially stopped all Blackberry support and access to the online portal. Which is terrible. I have un"read" books and a credit waiting to be used.

Act with your power - which is your money. Don't jump to another device just because some megacorporations are turning up their noses at your operating system. Unless you don't care. Unless you're not a true Blackberry user at heart *wink.* Seriously, though - I'm not switching device platforms just because they and a few other companies want me to jump in bed with Apple.

Forget it.

Here is the official end of Audible Blackberry support:

"The Audible for BlackBerry application has unfortunately become very outdated and as a result we are no longer able provide support for BlackBerry phones or the Audible for BlackBerry mobile application itself. We've chosen to use our development resources on other mobile platforms and continue to evaluate opportunities to bring additional wireless access to our customers, and hope you�ll check back for future updates.

Your feedback has been forwarded to the proper department so it can be reviewed and taken into consideration. We always appreciate customer input, since it lets us know how we can improve.

If you need assistance about any other topic, feel free to contact us either by replying to this email or by calling us at 1-888-283-5051."
    05-02-13 05:27 PM
    Err two conflicting stories here

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 05:32 PM
    Err two conflicting stories here

Posted via CB10
    Don't know which version is true, but I'm disappointed nonetheless. Why wouldn't BB allow Audible onto App World? The OP indicated that the audible tech source had no idea why BB wouldn't permit the app. Well, I don't know if the audible tech is simply out of the audible loop or if BB is being mysterious and arbitrary just for the sick thrill of it.

I do know BB allows Kindle apps and that audible is an Amazon company. I've often wondered why Amazon doesn't integrate Kindle and Audible? I know they've started offering some hybrid deals where you can get Whispersync for voice for Kindle which allows you to switch from e-reading on the Kindle to listening to the audible version, and vice versa and it all syncs up. But you pay more for the bundle, than you would for just the Kindle version. But I don't believe the current Kindle for BB10 (which is an Android port) has this capability. I would certainly consider a bundle purchase, but Amazon has to meet me halfway and permit me to use either format across devices.

Amazon isn't a model of transparency, and audible and BB are positively opaque in their statements about software in development, so this is all very frustrating.
    trey_schultz and niss63 like this.
    05-02-13 06:00 PM
    My quote from the email was what I received from Audible this morning. My Audible player had been acting up and I hadn't been able to see my library for a few days. Last night I got around to checking into it and found, on the Audible site and in other locations on the 'net that they had discontinued support for Blackberry on 4/26/13. So I wrote them an email. The quote in my post above is a direct copy and paste from the email - nothing left out or altered.

I do still have Audible on my Blackberry. However, I can't connect with my online library. I have been successful in downloading books *in Format 4* to my computer and then transferring them to my Blackberry (up to the limits of my storage device - which means some large audio books I have, I can't get the whole book on my device). I've been using Format 3 for space reasons - but that no longer works. Only Format 4. And only by getting the book from my library into my computer and then into my Blackberry. But I can't see my library from my Blackberry and I can't download a new book.
    05-02-13 07:40 PM
    Not very familiar with Audible, but from what I gather here, sounds like a deal gone sour between the two, Audible and Amazon, as it appears that they are both actively ceasing any services for the other. Audible isn't allowing services from a BB and BB cut off allowing any apps from Audible. Strange though, as others mention Audible is owned by Amazon, which BB still allows and Amazon still allows BB owners to use with Kindle.

Sounds similar to the situation between Google and MS, where Google now prevents MS from even using it's search engine from any browser of MS, even the search page, which is unlike how, although BB is locked to Bing, still allows searches from the Google search page.
    05-02-13 07:59 PM
    I'm an Audible customer too--or I was, anyway--and this is very disappointing. I thought long and hard about whether I was willing to give up Audible by getting a Z10 instead of another Android device. A few weeks back there was a glimmer of hope in an email that someone got from Audible in which they said a BB10 app was in development.

This is something that Alec Saunders might be able to shed some light on. I have trouble understanding why BlackBerry would reject an Audible app from BB World, and even withdraw it from availability on legacy devices. What can they possibly gain by doing so? I suppose it's possible that they want some sort of cut on Audible book sales, just as Apple wanted a cut on Kindle book sales. It's also possible that the tech person to whom the OP spoke got the story wrong.

The more likely scenario is that Audible doesn't think it worth their time and effort to develop and support the app for BB10, although even that strains credulity. The whole point of Audible is to make content available on as many platforms as possible, to sell as much of it as possible.

I don't know how Dothearn is able to get Audible downloads to play on a Z10; I haven't been able to do it.

The only other option is to buy a DRM stripper and use that to get the books into a form that the Z10 can use, and then use one of the audiobook players from BB World. These stripping tools are a bit expensive, but for those of us who really enjoy Audible books it might be worth it. I'm mulling this over before deciding to pull the plug on my subscription.
    05-02-13 08:02 PM
    I started this post, thinking what I had heard from the Audible tech was the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Obviously I was mistaken.

For all the reasons given here, it just doesn't make sense, especially considering the common owner of both Kindle and Audible, Amazon, and the apparent lack of any competing interests between Amazon and BlackBerry.

I don't know where to go from here.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 08:21 PM
    I deleted the audible app, thinking I could just download it from audible. Anybody know where I can download the app for the bold 9000? I believe that was the version I was using on my 9900.
    05-02-13 08:29 PM
    I bought a DRM stripper. $35. Also uses f-ing itunes to play the audible file it strips DRM. This is an overnight prpcess. But I get mp3 files that I can play on the Z10.

I have the Play-a-Book app while works great with these book files and you can create bookmarks in case the z10 resets and loses a place in a book.
    05-02-13 08:46 PM
    I bought a DRM stripper. $35. Also uses f-ing itunes to play the audible file it strips DRM. This is an overnight prpcess. But I get mp3 files that I can play on the Z10.

I have the Play-a-Book app while works great with these book files and you can create bookmarks in case the z10 resets and loses a place in a book.
    Supposedly there's a way to get Audacity to do real time stripping, but I haven't figured it out yet.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 09:30 PM
    Well I went through the futile exercise of calling and emailing audible to voice my displeasure, FWIW. And a customer service supervisor called me back. He said his phone was a BlackBerry Curve and he was shocked when he could no longer access his online library. Hi don't have any info or particular insight but said they were getting a lot of calls and emails on it.

I have 1 stranded book I can't get to and will soon have useless credits added to my inaccessible account (I don't listen to books on any device but my phone). I'm just the one customer, but before I go I will vent to Kindle and to Amazon too. I've been with both from the start and bought thousands of dollars worth of books, videos, songs, appliances, tech stuff, clothes, gift cards and even food from them. If Audible doesn't fix this I will take all my Prime business elsewhere.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-13 01:51 AM
    Not very familiar with Audible, but from what I gather here, sounds like a deal gone sour between the two, Audible and Amazon, as it appears that they are both actively ceasing any services for the other. Audible isn't allowing services from a BB and BB cut off allowing any apps from Audible. Strange though, as others mention Audible is owned by Amazon, which BB still allows and Amazon still allows BB owners to use with Kindle.

Sounds similar to the situation between Google and MS, where Google now prevents MS from even using it's search engine from any browser of MS, even the search page, which is unlike how, although BB is locked to Bing, still allows searches from the Google search page.
    ??? you can still use google on IE and BB isn't locked to Bing you can change your default search engine to Bing, Google, or Yahoo in the top right corner of the browser after you type something into the search bar.
    05-03-13 02:03 AM
    Well I went through the futile exercise of calling and emailing audible to voice my displeasure, FWIW. And a customer service supervisor called me back. He said his phone was a BlackBerry Curve and he was shocked when he could no longer access his online library. Hi don't have any info or particular insight but said they were getting a lot of calls and emails on it.

I have 1 stranded book I can't get to and will soon have useless credits added to my inaccessible account (I don't listen to books on any device but my phone). I'm just the one customer, but before I go I will vent to Kindle and to Amazon too. I've been with both from the start and bought thousands of dollars worth of books, videos, songs, appliances, tech stuff, clothes, gift cards and even food from them. If Audible doesn't fix this I will take all my Prime business elsewhere.

Posted via CB10
    I'm in the same boat as you. I'm furious about it. Obviously it could be solved immediately if Amazon/Audible/Blackberry wanted to do so.

But we all can huff and puff all we want and still never bring the Amazon house down. We've bought thousands of dollars of stuff from them, and to them that's about 10 seconds worth of business on any given day.
    05-03-13 09:25 AM
    Okay, I've been doing a bit of digging, and there is indeed a way to use Audacity to convert Audible books to mp3. It's a real-time solution, so not ideal, but it should work. I haven't done it yet, because I have a lot of other things to do at the moment, but at least it doesn't involve paying for an expensive converter that still ends up converting in real-time. And this is for Windows; I don't know how to do it on a Mac.

Essentially, you have to get Audacity to accept what's playing on your computer sound card as input. Then you play the Audible book on your computer, using the Audible player, and record at the same time, using Audacity. In order to do this, you have to select "Stereo Mix" as the input source in Audacity. And that's where it gets tricky. You may not see "Stereo Mix" as a selectable option, especially if you're running Windows 7. If so, try this:

How To Enable “Stereo Mix” in Windows 7 (to Record Audio).

As I say, it's not ideal. And if you have to go hunting down drivers it's even less ideal. But it should be doable, and if it allows me to listen to Audible books on the Z10, it's worth it. If there were another company in direct competition with Audible, we'd probably get better service, but they pretty much have a monopoly on quality recent audiobooks.

I'd like to understand why Audible is ditching BlackBerry, or BlackBerry is ditching Audible, but I know that this is the sort of thing that is never disclosed. Before the PlayBook was launched, Amazon said there would be a Kindle app on it. It never came, and there was never an explanation. There is very little transparency in business.
    05-03-13 09:53 AM
    The other point of obvious contention is BlackBerry World now sells mp3's and videos right alongside apps. So either BlackBerry is blocking the Amazon mp3 app or Amazon is attempting to freeze out BlackBerry users in retribution.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 02:11 PM
    I stoped reading at "BlackBerry removed all Audible apps from BlackBerry World".

Audible has never been in BlackBerry World. You had to download it directly from Audible.com. Ok, let me go read the rest...

EDIT: OK! Finished reading it. Let me go do two things: a) ask someone from BlackBerry about all this - because I think it is a bunch of smelly hooey; b) get my good old 8520, and see if I can connect it to Audible using the app.

Back soon!

Oh, and by hooey, I mean what the Amazon representative said, not the OP. Not shooting the messenger here.

EDIT:

OTA for legacy devices can be found here: Going audible.com on my 8520 got me their mobile page as usual, but the download link was returning 404s. The app loads and gives me popup to an missing certificate. If I just go on, I am greet with a "We're sorry but we are unable to connect you at this time".

It is possible we'll see Audible drop support for legacy devices. It would not be the first app to do so. But since it was NEVER in App World, I find it a little hard to believe BlackBerry to be blocking such huge app from making it into the new platform.
    Last edited by diegonei; 05-04-13 at 02:37 PM.
    05-04-13 02:15 PM

It is possible we'll see Audible drop support for legacy devices. It would not be the first app to do so. But since it was NEVER in App World, I find it a little hard to believe BlackBerry to be blocking such huge app from making it into the new platform.
    If you read what I wrote at the beginning of this thread--what the Audible tech support guy told me about BlackBerry not being willing to put Audible in BB World--then read the "official" word from Audible BB Tech support later in the thread, it's apparent that there's no getting at the truth here about who is refusing to do what.

As others have suggested here, it must be a matter of not being able to agree to a business arrangement--somebody is being greedy, but we don't know who--and hurting the Audible-BlackBerry users in the process. Maybe it has to do with Apple and some sort of non-compete agreement, so that people will have to buy the iPhone to get Audible.

Obviously there is no technical problem, per se, since there are already Android apps for Audible out there that work, they just don't work when converted to bar files and side loaded on the BB OS 10 platform. No doubt one of them could be made to work on BB, or maybe one of them will work as OS 10.1 is developed and the Android runtime is upgraded.

Maybe one of the CrackBerry people who has an in to BlackBerry itself could contact BlackBerry and find out what is going on or do some mediation between Audible and BB. (Dream on....)
    05-04-13 02:58 PM
    If you read what I wrote at the beginning of this thread--what the Audible tech support guy told me about BlackBerry not being willing to put Audible in BB World--then read the "official" word from Audible BB Tech support later in the thread, it's apparent that there's no getting at the truth here about who is refusing to do what.

As others have suggested here, it must be a matter of not being able to agree to a business arrangement--somebody is being greedy, but we don't know who--and hurting the Audible-BlackBerry users in the process. Maybe it has to do with Apple and some sort of non-compete agreement, so that people will have to buy the iPhone to get Audible.

Obviously there is no technical problem, per se, since there are already Android apps for Audible out there that work, they just don't work when converted to bar files and side loaded on the BB OS 10 platform. No doubt one of them could be made to work on BB, or maybe one of them will work as OS 10.1 is developed and the Android runtime is upgraded.

Maybe one of the CrackBerry people who has an in to BlackBerry itself could contact BlackBerry and find out what is going on or do some mediation between Audible and BB. (Dream on....)
    I did read it and I did contact someone from BlackBerry. The amount of info he will be able to disclose will probably be minimal though. I just gotta say, remember that tech people as just like rep and they usually don't have much of a clue about what is really going on. I myself got an email from Audbile the other day saying they were evaluating the possibility of a new app. And do you really think the company would go and say "yes, we're the bad guy - deal with it"? Blaming the other end makes far more sense and does way little harm.

On sideloading, our best hope is indeed the new SDK, I tested every single Audible apk I could find and they didn't work. I had already placed my Audible account on hold and now I feel like it's time to say Audacity. I mean. Say goodbye.
    05-04-13 03:22 PM
    I agree it can't be a non-compete by Apple, since there's a working Android app, which I was using on my Samsung Blaze. A few weeks back I wrote to ask about this and I got the "in development" answer. A few days ago I wrote again to ask about canceling my account due to lack of BlackBerry support and I got a bland reply telling me how to go about it; no attempt to set me straight on a forthcoming BlackBerry App.

I haven't had time to work out the Audacity conversion yet, but my inclination is to shake the dust off my heels and move on.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 04:07 PM
    I was actually hoping for this. Really want audio books on this phone. I need to do some investigation and see if I can get them on MP3, but just won't be the same

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 04:10 PM
    I was actually hoping for this. Really want audio books on this phone. I need to do some investigation and see if I can get them on MP3, but just won't be the same

Posted via CB10
    I bought a commercial DRM removal app, $35. Works just fine, just finished rescuing a new book I bought from the Audible prison. I figure if I do at least 20 books, it's less than $2 a book extra tax to allow me to listen to the book I purchased.

Audible apparently encourages people to ignore the DMCA.
    05-04-13 05:30 PM
    In addition to hoping for a successful side loading of the Android Audible app, the newer Android Kindle app reportedly includes Whispersync for Voice which allows you to review the book in ereader mode or listen to it. There is a higher price than either the Kindle or the Audible as a stand alone but at least you get more options for you money.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 08:35 PM
    Well since Audible still works on my pc i downloaded my latest book and then manually copied into my 9900's audible folder (I'm running the Audible version for the 9000 on it). And at least it works.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 01:13 AM
    Audible tech support told me that they dropped support for BB. They also said that the new BB platform doesn't provide interface support for aa files. I asked them why, even if that were true, why they dropped support for legacy BBs. They weren't able to answer that. They suggested that I send an email to write to [email protected] to get my comments to someone who could actually do something about them. So people may want to send a few emails at that account.

My currently installed version of Audible continues to work on my BB Bold. It's just stuck in offline mode. I am able to listen to all audiobooks already downloaded to my BB, but am unable to download new ones.

I am able to get new ones in .aa format over to the BB by connecting my BB via USB to my Windows computer and launching the Audible windows software and setting the BB to mass storage mode / USB drive mode. Download the file first to the PC using the Audible Windows software. Then right-click on the book you want on the BB in the Windows audiobook list and transfer it to the BB. It works fine, though it seemed to be a bit flaky, but I think that's because I downloaded from the website both when I bought a book and from my library on Audible. I think that confused it. But be persistent if you have trouble. Make sure it isn't already transferred to the BB because the transfer option is then grayed out.

For a week or two prior to the online mode being cut, I noticed that I was getting certificate expired messages when accessing Audible. I'm wondering if this was due to support being cut soon. The thing that is a little disturbing is that I'm getting such messaged from the BB Kindle app now. I'm wondering if they're going to drop Kindle BB support as well.

The Windows app transfer over USB works for me for now.

Bottom line is that I don't know who's fault this is, but I'm a more loyal Amazon/Audible customer than I am a BlackBerry user. The main thing about the choice of any hardware is and always has been if it will run the software you want to use. Audible and Kindle are by far my most used apps. I'm due for an upgrade. I was thinking of going with the new BBs, but there's just no way that I can do that with one of my most used apps not supported. I'm looking at switching to a Windows phone which supports all of the apps I need to use. It's a shame because I like BlackBerry and don't want to go through the learning curve with a new device, but that's what the situation is.

I'll probably put up with the status quo for a while because I'm still grandfathered on my unlimited plan, but if Kindle support goes, I'm not willing to go without Wispersync on Kindle, so I'll likely switch away from BB at that point.
    ubizmo likes this.
    05-06-13 08:30 AM
134 123 ...