Just received a call from rogers telling me the that Q10s we ordered through the business reservation system would not be able to connect to the LTE service in Manitoba when rogers launches it. They asked if i wanted the LTE Version for Manitoba which of course we did.

After asking a rogers rep, Manitoba will be getting the LTE network on the 2100 MHZ frequency. The q10 in the preo rder will only work on the 2600Mhz frequency so if we kept the order the same then we couldn't use LTE when it launches here but could use LTE everywhere else in Canada on the LTE network.

Very strange as i don't understand why rogers would launch two phones for Canada when the "Manitoba Optimized" version with be able to access LTE across all of canada. I came across this from today as well. Rogers rebrands high-speed network as LTE max with emphasis on 2600Mhz spectrum, launches in over 20 new markets | MobileSyrup.com If the LTE MAx uses 1700/2100 and 2600 mhz why wouldn't it work here?

So if someone has a Q10 with LTE max and travels to winnipeg, assuming LTE is launched by then, they won't be able to use LTE?

This seems like a completely idiotic implementation.
    05-01-13 04:16 PM
    Explain this again please.

Q10 comes standard LTE Max 2600Mhz. BUT Rodgers Manitoba LTE is only up to 2100Mhz when it finally arrives here. Is this what your saying?

If it is, I knew this a bit already. I have Rogers here in Wpg, I upgraded to the new i5 when apple released it cause I thought Rogers was 4g LTE everywhere like their adds said. BUT in Manitoba they are plain 3g with a bit of boost added. The reason is that Rogers rents lines from MTS who in turn rents the towers from the company that built them all. Rogers deal from what I was told is that any new upgrade in Tech for mobile, MTS gets it first for 2 years before Rogers can see that same upgrade. So this year sometime we rogers users will finally get 4G LTE.

Now maybe a year ago the LTE Mhz was topped at 2100 but now tech has advanced so its now 2600Mhz so Rogers gets the old 4G and I bet MTS gets the newer 2600 LTE.
    05-01-13 04:43 PM
    Congratulations Manitoba on getting cell phone service

BlackBerry Z10-Go Leafs Go
    05-01-13 05:44 PM
    Congratulations Manitoba on getting cell phone service

BlackBerry Z10-Go Leafs Go
    LOL.

Hey wait a darn minute my cousins already had cell service in Winnipeg ;-)

Posted via CB10 on my Zed10 10.0.10.85 on Rogers
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    05-01-13 05:47 PM
    So Rogers has delayed LTE in Winnipeg and is now giving us a subpar version? Is that what I'm reading?
    05-01-13 06:16 PM
    That's not good news. Even Saskatchewan doesn't have this problem.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-13 06:22 PM
    Yah. I don't get it.

Rogers in manitoba is launching lte on the 2100 mhz spectrum. The LTE Q10 that we ordered will not support LTE in manitoba but will work with LTE anywhere else rogers has it deployed in canada

The LTE version of the phone manitoba is getting to go with LTE about to launch is on 2100 mhz WILL connect to the Rogers LTE service in the rest of canada.

From what I could quickly fund on the web MTD launched LTE on 2600mhz

Rogers has HSPA+ in manitoba and has for quite some time. Only last year did Rogers and MTS begin sharing towers. Before that rogers bought fido that had gsm towers all throughout Winnipeg. I worked in the building where all of fido equipment was in when they first launched in Winnipeg.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-13 07:13 PM
    Can anyone speculate why Rogers is delaying LTE? Are the rumours regarding an MTS "monopoly" true?
    05-01-13 08:10 PM
    Can anyone speculate why Rogers is delaying LTE? Are the rumours regarding an MTS "monopoly" true?
    Is MTS provincial owned?

05-01-13 09:15 PM
    Is MTS provincial owned?

I believe they've been privatized. And as far as I know, they were the first carrier.
    05-01-13 10:01 PM
    MTS was privatized in the 90s.

If they are both using different frequencies and they aren't sharing the towers etc then why the delay?

The only thing I can think of is that they thought they had a deal and if fell through and rogers had to scramble re plan their LTE service in manitoba. The only good thing is that 2100 mhz should have a bit better distance and building penetration due to the lower frequency.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-13 11:32 PM
    05-07-13 10:48 PM
    That is correct, that MTS is the only current carrier in Manitoba to have 4G LTE service. MTS and Rogers share/built out the 4G HSPA service/towers as partnership.
    I don't remember hearing any Rogers plans for LTE here, yet anyways. Telus has made recent news saying they will bring LTE to the market, mainly Winnipeg.
    As for now, LTE service thru MTS is only in Winnipeg and Brandon, as well as Grand Beach and Victoria Beach, with expansion plans to a few other places this year. Otherwise us LTE customers service automatically switches to the HSPA network towers.

Maybe in other provinces like saskatchewan, Rogers has an agreement with a carrier there to use their LTE towers, or they do indeed have their own towers there?

The whole 2600 frequency is brand new to Canada now. So rogers seems to have the exclusive on that?
    2100 could be the HSPA frequency version?

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 02:56 AM
    Manitoba being behind on the LTE game seems to mess it up for the Q10.
    Once I saw that there were different radio versions of the Q10 being offered by Rogers, I called my local Rogers to find out what was up.

In Manitoba, they confirmed that the SQN-1 is the only one being offered in Manitoba because we are behind on the LTE game. So whenever Manitoba finally does get LTE, the Q10 will be able to receive the LTE signal.

During the same call, which was over two weeks ago now, the Rogers rep also told me that LTE was going to be launched in Winnipeg and Brandon shortly.....which means 6 months from now probably. Who knows.

Anyways, I attached a picture from another Q10 discussion thread. It shows all the different radio versions being offered. It's a good reference.
    Q10  Optimized Manitoba version? WTF?-crackberry-image.jpg

Posted via my Q10 via the awesome CB10 app!
    06-02-13 09:34 AM
    Weird! Rogers is now rolling out LTE Max! There may be some very angry customers.
    06-13-13 06:44 PM
    I was planning on being one of those very angry Manitoba customers as I have the SQN-1.
    However, I called Rogers this evening, and they ASSURED me that I will still get LTE on my Q10.
    I still have my doubts, but we will see come Monday.

06-13-13 08:43 PM
    I was planning on being one of those very angry Manitoba customers as I have the SQN-1.
    However, I called Rogers this evening, and they ASSURED me that I will still get LTE on my Q10.
    I still have my doubts, but we will see come Monday.

There general response seems to be that any LTE enabled phone will work. For the customer's sake, I hope they're right.
    06-14-13 05:43 AM