For about 2 weeks now I�m using the new Blackberry Z10 and I�m extremely satisfied with it!

In order to share my experience with other users out there (I know how hard it is to change platforms and pick a completely different device), I decided to write this small feedback to help you decide whether the new Z10 is a good choice or not.

Ah, a small piece of information: I�m not a programmer, developer, expert & I don�t work on the technology field. I just love technology and like to be up to date with the new tendencies.

That being said, this review directly reflects my particular and individual user experience: I won�t go further on detail, but only tell my story and discuss what I like and what I don�t like so much on the Z10. Hope you enjoy the reading.

Time to change � what made me quit an Apple product?

Around January this year I decided to quit my iPhone 4 and go for a phone with a physical keyboard. I was extremely frustrated with the typing experience on the iPhone, and the soon-to-come BBQ10 seemed to be the perfect choice.

Funny thing, I never owned or wanted to own a Blackberry before, mostly because I always associated it with well-dressed workaholic men and women proudly holding their phones day & night and replying to e-mails. On the other hand, I always admired Apple and wanted to have an iPhone, what ended up happening 3 years ago.

Unfortunately though, the once new and exciting experience with the iPhone became a pain after this time, especially because of the following:

- Typing issues: certainly my major problem. Despite of what many others say, the keyboard is a pain on the iPhone and I developed a real hate for it throughout the years � because of the constant mistakes I made while typing and the pain to delete and retype words, it always took me considerable time to write messages and reply e-mails, specially if I had to do it fast (what is almost always the case);

- Mass vs Individual: Apple�s intent is to make a sell; therefore, owning an iPhone shows you as a +1 (just one more in the mass of people that already have it); Blackberry�s new operating system is a revolution; owning a phone like the Z10 reflects your intent to be treated not as part of a mass of users, but as an individual that accepts changes and is eager to be part of it.

- I don�t really use that many apps: This is my personal opinion in regards to the comparison of applications available in the App Store against the real use you make of them. The App Store somewhat appealing advertisement made me spend quite some money in the beginning, although I never spent enough time with any of the apps I bought. So although I had say 50 apps installed, on a daily basis I only used my phone for calls, messaging, to check train�s timetables and other basic features such as alarm clock, weather forecast and calendar.

I�m not saying that if you love apps you shouldn�t consider the Z10. I�m just saying that many times we are simply saturated with things that we find out useless at the end. So make a list of what you really use on your phone, to start with.

What phone to pick?

Now, people ask me what made me pick a Blackberry out of tons of other offers in the market. Honestly? Identification. It�s simple: you make a selection of what you really use on a phone and identify the things you don�t like. I knew what I didn�t like on the iPhone and what I expected from my next phone. Ah, and most important: you got to be opened for changes. Once you accept and admit that things might change in your life, you are good to go! ;-)

But despite of other nice phones out there, the completely redesigned devices from Blackberry and the brand new company�s concepts and ideas really hold my attention. So I looked for information and spent some quality time reading reviews, watching the keynote and finding more about it here and there.

I was particularly astonished by the fact that the majority of reviewers on the web rate BBZ10 as a no-go or as a �phone born too late�. According to them, the BB10 biggest problem is the lack of app offers. But while this seemed to be a big issue for many, it wasn�t really an issue for me. So that was a point for Blackberry. ;-)

My first choice was actually the BBQ10, and I was willing to wait for it. As I mentioned before, I was eager to buy a phone with a physical QWERTY keyboard as I had big problems typing on my iPhone. But destiny played its cards when my husband�s phone (also an iPhone) broke and, as I gave my phone to him, I considered the Z10 for the first time.

4 days after that, I was holding my first Blackberry at home.

The Z10 � Starting with the cons

I know 2 weeks time is not really enough time to evaluate a phone on all its deep capabilities, so I�ll just cover some topics from daily use experience that differ somehow from the iPhone, and turned out to be an issue for me (although almost all of them can be �treated�):

- Apps hide clock: If you are playing a game or typing a message, it�s pretty useful to have a look at the top of the screen and find the clock. Unfortunately, this doesn�t happen on the BBZ10. Whenever you open an app (and I�m not sure if this happens with all apps), clock is automatically hidden, forcing you to get away from the app to find the information.

- No battery percentage: If you are used to know exactly how much more of your battery life is left, there is no way to set such function on your Z10, although there are some useful apps that cover this need (�Battery lover�, for instance).

- Only one alarm clock: Yep, I was really used to set 2 or 3 alarms on different times of the day and different weekdays, and unfortunately Z10 does not provide this option. I�m still getting used to it, but it would be cool if the feature would be available in the near future.

- 2 crashes so far: basically, both crashes happened while I was trying to rotate a picture / website, while showing the phone to colleagues (I know, it sucks). The screen got frozen and no gesture or the lock button were working anymore. I don�t remember having crashes on my first days of iPhone, but in either case the phone worked just perfectly after I took out the battery and put it back again.

- Time to re-think your app needs: If you own an iPhone and are considering to change to the Z10, you should know by this point that there are not as many apps on Blackberry World as on the App Store, but calm down: maybe it�s a good time for you to re-think your real need of applications, and perhaps you�ll find out you don�t use half of the apps you have once proudly installed on your phone. Just a thought.

The Z10 � And now the pros

Again, based on my daily use of the device, here are the features that I love the most about the Z10:

- Intuitive gestures: I cannot tell how fast I god used to the gestures on this phone. The whole thing is so well programmed that I already caught myself several times trying to swipe up an application on my iPad. Despite of what others say, the gestures on the Z10 are very intuitive and natural.

- Keyboard: I am proud to say that I found exactly what I was looking for: this keyboard is simply the best in the market! Whether you type with one or two hands, if you type in German, English and French all at the same time, whether you type on the wrong letter; none of this matters: the virtual keyboard of the Z10 simply gets your intention and correct words automatically for you, besides being able to learn with your usage and improve the words suggestion. It�s an endless pleasure experience. Thumbs up!!

- Robust and discrete: What else can I say here? The Blackberry Z10 is very nice looking, discrete, robust and it feels great in the hands.

- Skip songs with side music controls: I never thought I would find it so nice, but it turns out to be a pretty useful feature for me. I love being able to skip songs without having to check the screen of the phone.

- Clock with bedside mode: It turns out your phone is also a charming clock with a function called �bedside mode�, that allows you to set the alarm and go sleep without being bothered by a call or other sounds or light notifications. Very nice idea. Just missing the multiple alarms function.

- The HUB: Pretty useful, allows you to keep up with all your notifications in a single place.

- Battery life: seems like it improved after the first charges, and in general it holds well for me for a whole day of typing and replying messages every now and then, besides running other apps on the side.

Small conclusion

The Z10 was the best option for me and I�m glad I have it. It fits all my needs and it�s a pretty practical phone with key features that help you on your everyday activities and keeps up with my crazy routine.

But mainly, I believe the Z10 is a phone for those of you who accept and deal well with changes and like to be part of something different, brand new and with a long, successful way to go.
    04-28-13 11:55 AM
    Jrohland, thanks for the post.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-13 01:25 PM
    Exactly how I feel
    04-28-13 01:27 PM
    Welcome. You know things will get better from here. You can get battery percentage without an app. Settings, About, Hardware. Look near the bottom.
    Or you could use the universal search. Tap the magnifying glass icon on the homepage and start typing 'hardware'. The option should show up after you type the first few letters. It will show up under settings. Just tap it and the phone will take you straight there. I find this the quickest method.
    b_kiss and j21jam6 like this.
    04-28-13 02:14 PM
    The method with the search it's pretty fast, thanks.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-13 02:35 PM
    The method with the search it's pretty fast, thanks.

Posted via CB10
    No worries - glad it helped.
    04-28-13 06:20 PM
    at first, i thought z10 touch screen keyboard is bad. but after i tried it for a week. nothing beats the keyboard experiences. and btw, i was an apollo user before

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 11:34 AM
    I don't know why some people are beating up on the Z10, if you prefer an iPhone or Android, get one. I find the z10 to be the phone that is scaring the other companies and they are pressuring the us carriers to stifle the promotion of it. The truth will come out very soon.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-13 12:53 PM
    Unfortunately, not soon enough. Nothing beats the BB10, if others would try it for a week, things would change.
    08-17-13 05:16 PM
    Great read! Most things are fixed and will be fixed within the latest OS releases *10.2*

Posted via CB10
    08-17-13 06:22 PM
    Jrohland, thanks for the post.

Posted via CB10
    Also multiple alarms is present with the 10.2 OS, so in due time that will be another problem fixed
    08-19-13 10:36 PM
    And you're problem about not being able to see the clock in an application is not really a problem. Just swipe up from the bottom of the screen like you're going to minimise the application, but only move it up a tiny bit until you can see the time.

--Q10 and Canadian all the way! Posted via CB10 on 10.2.0.1443.
    09-13-13 09:21 PM