So Engadget posted a review, and wrote the following

In nearly every situation, we were quicker entering text on the virtual keys of the Z10 than the physical ones of the Q10. The exception? Email addresses and passwords. Getting to special characters is far less cumbersome when they're all right there on the keys.
    I was wondering if anyone here has any significant real world experience with the two devices, and could share their experiences? Thanks.
    04-28-13 11:35 AM
    it's not a matter of speed.

I love to write texts without having both eyes on the screen all the time. With a virtual keyboard you have to be full concentrated on the phone while with the physical keyboard you can keep an eye on whatever you are doing beside typing...

Posted via CB10
    04-28-13 11:40 AM
    I know that when I go back to my 9900 from my Z10 once in a while, the keyboard speed is about the same but I never have to check what I'm writing. I know that the spelling is what it's supposed to be, on the Z10 I tend to have to look at the keyboard when I type and make sure that I'm hitting the right spots and that auto correct isn't putting in different words.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-13 12:19 PM
    I've made some progress on my Z10, which is my first all touch device. But the acid test I'm still failing is when I'm trying to enter text in a field in a website that doesn't display well on the Z10. That is where I most miss the 9900 qwerty.

Posted via CB10
    shadwellal likes this.
    04-28-13 12:35 PM
    Yes the z10's keyboard may be faster due to its "Brains" where you just jab approx where the letters are and it results in perfect sentences most if not all the time.

But to have the potential to type without looking with confidence.. is a whole new ball game.

That's why I'm still unable to let go of the 9900 completely. From day one I'm only half a z10 user.. now I'm still half a z10 user.

Posted via CB10
    dracolnyte likes this.
    04-28-13 12:44 PM
    Yes the z10's keyboard may be faster due to its "Brains" where you just jab approx where the letters are and it results in perfect sentences most if not all the time.

But to have the potential to type without looking with confidence.. is a whole new ball game.

That's why I'm still unable to let go of the 9900 completely. From day one I'm only half a z10 user.. now I'm still half a z10 user.

Posted via CB10
    Give it time. After a few months of use I'm now able to type on the Z10 without looking - jut as I was able to do on my legacy BBOS device. You just have to give yourself enough time to build up the muscle memory. Using the device half of the time will mean it will take you twice as long.
    04-28-13 02:34 PM

I was wondering if anyone here has any significant real world experience with the two devices, and could share their experiences? Thanks.
    I'll tell you why that Engadget quote is ********. I have absolutely no doubt that they have spent the past few years typing on glass. You can't learn to type fast on a hard keyboard in a span of a week. Typing speed depends on what you're used to. Engadget definitely did not reach their potential high speeds on the hard keyboard simply because they were used to typing on glass. When I switched from a touchscreen phone to a BlackBerry, my speeds dropped down. After several weeks however, my speeds on my BB were faster than they ever were on a touchscreen.
    thecurryman likes this.
    04-28-13 02:43 PM
    Yo can perform any test you want in am ideal perfect situation sitting down and phone in front of you in two hands with Both eyes focused on the screen.

Truth is? You live in a world with a million distractions. Chances are you'll be typing when you're walking around, when you look around, when you're talking to someone, and that's where the tactile response from physical keys is invaluable.

Speed tests don't mean anything, I believe the world record for speed typing has been on swype keyboards since a long time ago

Posted via CB10
    04-28-13 02:45 PM
    When the auto correct can assist, I find the Z10 is fantastic for a non physical keyboard (I never thought I'd say that). Plus when I want to write in another alphabet obviously a physical keyboard can't touch it.

But when accuracy matters, like in a URL or a search field with auto correct disabled, boy do I miss those keys.

On balance though, the extra screen size wins it for me. Just IMHO.

Posted via CB10
    Mr_F likes this.
    04-28-13 03:14 PM
    In this case - speed isn't everything. I prefer physical buttons and would say I'm slightly faster on my Z10 than my Bold. Like I've said before, for me, typing on glass feels dead.
    04-28-13 03:19 PM
    Speaking of typing on glass, anyone seen this new tech? Glass screen that changes shape to pop up a keyboard...
    http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20970928

Posted via CB10
    04-28-13 04:19 PM
    Secret to typing in the Z is to not think, just type.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Z10
    04-28-13 05:53 PM
    What's the rush? There's no time limit on typing.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    04-28-13 06:26 PM
    Give it time. After a few months of use I'm now able to type on the Z10 without looking - jut as I was able to do on my legacy BBOS device. You just have to give yourself enough time to build up the muscle memory. Using the device half of the time will mean it will take you twice as long.
    '

How in the world are you able to type on a glass screen without looking? I'm sorry, I've been on various virtual keyboards for years and years and that is just not possible. You must look at the virtual keyboard if you're typing.

It may be just as fast or faster...but it is definitely not do-able without looking.
    04-28-13 09:03 PM
    do like monkeys just keep hitting the keys and eventually you will have a whole book typed
    04-28-13 09:17 PM

I was a 9900 user and switched over to the Z10 in Feb. I'd used every iPhone from 1-4S and then used the 9900 for about a year so I think I'm quite proficient on touch and physical keyboards.

So anyway, I decided to test how fast I could type on both on the Z10 compared to the 9900. I tried typing the first few lines of Man in the Mirror by Michael Jackson (it's something I can type without thinking too much, so as to test pure typing speed), and managed it in 15 seconds on the Z10, 19 seconds on the 9900. I was VERY surprised, as I always felt more assured typing on the 9900. I guess feeling comfortable doesn't necessarily equal typing faster. Now I REALLY don't know whether to switch to the Q10 or not! Comfort > speed?
    04-28-13 10:14 PM
    I get that whole feel of the real BB keyboard. You can become "one" with the device. My question is does the Z10 have virtual keyboard shortcuts like the Q10? If not, this discussion is a bit moot and Engadget is INcorrect.
    liteScribble likes this.
    04-28-13 10:39 PM
    I've been using the Z10 since launch day in Canada and have used the Q10 extensively as I work in retail selling phones. I can honestly say I don't even have to look at my Z10 keyboard anymore, it's learned how I type and I can type better on it than on the Q10. The Q10 is a huge step forward from the 9900 keyboard but if you're willing to trust the auto correct of BB10 then the Z10 rocks.

That being said the auto correct is equally as amazing on the Q10 but I've still never managed to be as fast on it.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-13 10:50 PM
    I hate virtual keyboards. Z10 is certainly better than swiftkey and stock keyboard on android from my experience, but i still do not like it.

1. Extremely frustrating trying to type words that are not in the dictionary, which is quite common if you are typing anything technical. Complex passwords are also painful on the virtual keyboard, but manageable on the qwerty one. Sometimes I want to smash my Z10 on the ground because it feels that pressing space should change what I have typed to its recommended word, so I have to backspace and try and flick my word off the spacebar which typically results in me minimizing the application, or worst I hit send instead of backspace.

2. On the qwerty keyboard I may make typo's of a single character, but the person on the other end will understand what I was saying and may not even clue into my typo. With the virtual keyboard it is extremely easy to accidentally type entire words and sentences wrong.

3. On the qwerty keyboard I could always type without needing to constantly check what was coming up, with the touchscreen its hard enough to try and click next track without looking. I do not condone using your phone while driving, but sometimes you just want to unlock your phone to check a notification quick. Good luck on the virtual keyboard.

In summary, the virtual keyboard actually discourages me from saying anything. I've resorted to things like LOL and OK , or I just go along with the predictive choices and dare not deviate from them, pumping out very generic responses and leaving out what I really want to say because the touchscreen is a frustrating bottleneck.

However I will miss the large Z10 screen, but the keyboard is more important. I've been conditioning myself by watching videos and such with the phone in portrait, and bringing up the keyboard on websites to see what it would look like, its going to be just fine.

can't wait for my Q10!
    04-28-13 11:14 PM
    I can't understand anyone who says they can type faster on touch than real. Maybe my minds slow but I can type a storm on a real bbry on z10 and iPhone I am useless

Posted via CB10
    04-28-13 11:47 PM
    virtual on the Z10 is definitely faster than my bold 9000 because i am tapping away at the letters in the region and praying that the autocorrect will get it right. also because on a physical keyboard, there is key travel, which takes up time. accuracy takes up time and not to mention thumb fatigue after a while
    04-28-13 11:56 PM
    I get that whole feel of the real BB keyboard. You can become "one" with the device. My question is does the Z10 have virtual keyboard shortcuts like the Q10? If not, this discussion is a bit moot and Engadget is INcorrect.
    N for BBM, d for notes, a for contacts and c for compose email.. of course t for top b for bottom.

You're so right. You don't get to anywhere faster than that mate.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-13 01:26 AM
    '

How in the world are you able to type on a glass screen without looking? I'm sorry, I've been on various virtual keyboards for years and years and that is just not possible. You must look at the virtual keyboard if you're typing.

It may be just as fast or faster...but it is definitely not do-able without looking.
    Thank you for telling me what I am and am not capable of doing. You shouldn't automatically assume that something is not possible just because you're not able to do it. Can you run the 100m in 9.58s? Does that mean it's not possible?
    04-29-13 03:53 AM
    Well I think this thread has sold me on the Q10, however still keeping my Z10 also and will alternate for about a month and see which is really better for my work application and then just sell the other one No big deal but I just find the Q10 the sexier device and it is so easy to slip right into your shirt PocketS!!!! Cant wait!
    04-29-13 05:33 AM