In the big picture of things just how up to date are blackberry's new phones? A year from now what will blackberry have available? Will they have the phones updated or will we still be looking at the same hardware. Not the outside but the internal hardware and software improvements. Will blackberry be able to do as apple as done and make annual improvements and add features along with improvements ? If we are still sitting here with the same products as we have in the past over a period of years then we will end up so far behind in technology we will all be wanting to jump ship again. I for one will be watching to see what blackberry does over the next year or so to remain current before I make the decision to come back.

Thoughts?
    04-28-13 11:24 AM
    Current. Of course they will.
    04-28-13 11:28 AM
    it's all about software. hardware race is done in my opinion.

With Wifi, Bluetooth, LTE, Gyroscope, Compass, 2 Cameras, HDMI, multicore CPU, GPU, GPS-GLONASS, High Resolution Multi touch Display, NFC,... the Smartphone Standard is defined on the hardware side.

Of course components will improve but the real race will be on the software side.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960, grover5, SDTRMG and 1 others like this.
    04-28-13 12:06 PM
    It's up to date on hardware based on what it needs to do. Of course it doesn't have 8 cores, but it doesn't need it either.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-13 12:43 PM
    Whether it's right or not, there is an army of people out there that buy and judge phones based on specs. BB has been and continues to be late to the game in this arena. I would say they are also behind on hardware, but that's more of a subjective thing. If BB wants to become even slightly relevant in the smartphone world, they need to be quicker at implementing their ideas in to th real world. They can no longer afford to take two to three years to go from idea to shelf.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    04-28-13 01:10 PM
    Since they just came to market after being postponed from December 2012, it is safe to say the hardware is on par with other comparable devices as far as technology goes.
    04-28-13 01:18 PM
    Whether it's right or not, there is an army of people out there that buy and judge phones based on specs. BB has been and continues to be late to the game in this arena. I would say they are also behind on hardware, but that's more of a subjective thing. If BB wants to become even slightly relevant in the smartphone world, they need to be quicker at implementing their ideas in to th real world. They can no longer afford to take two to three years to go from idea to shelf.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    Totally agree with the last part
    04-28-13 01:33 PM
    . They can no longer afford to take two to three years to go from idea to shelf.

Amen! Holding on to my Bold 9930 for another year, see if BlackBerry will have a WOW device in 2014.
    04-28-13 02:00 PM
    my point exactly . As far as design goes I think they are as good as anything else on the market and better than some. For example the Iphone stayed the same for years but Apple was always upgrading and adding features to their device. Blackberry can't afford to sit on the hands and be years before improving and adding additional features and such. They have got to be at the top of their game from here on out to stay in the running.
    04-28-13 02:39 PM
    Well I can tell you right now, the hardware (Snapdragon S4+ and 2GBs of RAM) is not dated compared to other phones. The only phones that have the next generation of SoC from Qualcomm is the JUST released HTC One/First and Galaxy S4. I can also assure you that the BB OS10 operating system will make your phone feel as smooth as the HTC One/GS4. And for those who want to bring up the whole "average consumer will buy the better specs" argument, 2GBs of RAM is barely becoming standard for Android phones and I doubt the average consumer is going to know the difference between "Snapdragon S4+" and "Snapdragon 600". That said, I think Blackberry is fine in the hardware race so long as they release a new phone every year or so.
    SDTRMG likes this.
    04-28-13 02:47 PM
    10.1 brings many improvements, and I really like how they refine the os a little. I'm a 10.1 leak, and I'm sure they will continue its the only way to go.

On the hardware end, BlackBerry is update, by the time the new iPhone is released I'm sure they will have a better speed phone being released for the holidays.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-13 09:13 PM
    Hardware is fine. Better pixels-per-inch than almost everything else (including all Apple products), 2GB RAM, Snapdragons S4... All competitive hardware.
    Signhere likes this.
    04-28-13 09:28 PM
    What's the difference between all the I phones? What has Apple done in the last few years??? I phone looks the same to me....!

Posted via CB10
    SK122387 likes this.
    04-28-13 09:32 PM
    Very current and updated devices will come out soon enough an new Z10 will arrive, probably near year end or next year around February.

Posted via CB10, BB10, Z10
    04-28-13 10:56 PM
    The z10/q10's hardware is as current as the gs3, and inferior to current gen flagships (one, gs4).

Posted via CB10
    04-28-13 11:05 PM
    So no one agrees with me, when I say that Blackberry is lacking in a good display?
    I mean, the display on the Z10 is excellent, but if consumers like to go for the 1080 of the HTC One, rather than a 720 of a Q10, or whatever it is of the Z10, then Blackberry definitely needs to keep improving on hardware, even going as far as to put a 8 core processor, even though it would be useless for a mobile device.
    I think Blackberry definitely needs to work on the software part, it is lacking in a lot of things which many competitors have (Siri, Google Maps, etc.)
    For hardware, it's perfect the way I see it, but what about the consumers who only care that they have a camera with 8 types of lenses, but in the end the pictures it takes look the same as a one with 4 lenses?
    04-29-13 02:01 AM
    So no one agrees with me, when I say that Blackberry is lacking in a good display?
    I mean, the display on the Z10 is excellent, but if consumers like to go for the 1080 of the HTC One, rather than a 720 of a Q10, or whatever it is of the Z10, then Blackberry definitely needs to keep improving on hardware, even going as far as to put a 8 core processor, even though it would be useless for a mobile device.
    I think Blackberry definitely needs to work on the software part, it is lacking in a lot of things which many competitors have (Siri, Google Maps, etc.)
    For hardware, it's perfect the way I see it, but what about the consumers who only care that they have a camera with 8 types of lenses, but in the end the pictures it takes look the same as a one with 4 lenses?
    You've just pointed out how clueless buyers are. The fact that certain manufacturers have managed to call software special effects "lenses" (which they are not) without being sued in a class action shows that phones are bought by people who wouldn't be safe being sent to buy the milk.
    The same with 1080p displays, where most people will never notice the difference (except in cost and battery life, and they won't realise that the display is part of the problem).
    I don't know what you do about this, but the phone arms race is really just silly. It really is now about software, but manufacturers are trying to sell on hardware.
    SDTRMG likes this.
    04-29-13 02:18 AM
    Thorsten Heins hasn't made any of the same mistakes that the two former CEOs made. I think it's safe to assume that he won't let BlackBerry fall behind again.

Posted via CB10
    SDTRMG likes this.
    04-29-13 03:47 AM
    A year from now what will blackberry have available? Will they have the phones updated or will we still be looking at the same hardware?
    One thing is for sure.....either they will or they won't.
    04-29-13 04:48 PM
    One thing is for sure.....either they will or they won't.
    HOW DID YOU COME UP WITH THAT???? you mean its either or? cant be neither or both???????
    04-30-13 12:53 PM
    The hardware spec race is getting ridiculous, because people are losing sight of what matters - both in terms of speed and clarity.

You can have a 8-core whatever processor, but if the software isn't efficiently designed, it's not going to run optimally. Alternatively, you can have lower-end spec devices that run faster if the software is designed well.

To make a simple analogy, consider a car. Two cars can produce the same amount of HP (let's say, 200) but one might be a V6 and the other a V4. It's about efficiency when it comes to utilizing the available hardware. (Arguably, the car that produces the 200 HP on 1.8L of gas is much better designed than the car that produces that much HP but needs 3L of gas).

Same point with the visual specifications. There's only so much detail the human eye can discern - people still haven't learned their lessons on this front when it comes to TVs either. For example, PPI alone is a moot point if the screen cannot offer strong (dynamic) contrasts or accurate colour representation.

Just getting tired of the constant misinformation spread by uninformed sales representatives and company's marketing that tries to differentiate their product by using buzzwords and essentially confusing customers with half-factual information.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    04-30-13 01:18 PM
    Thorsten Heins hasn't made any of the same mistakes that the two former CEOs made. I think it's safe to assume that he won't let BlackBerry fall behind again.

Posted via CB10
    Lol...suuuuuure

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4
    09-14-13 07:06 AM