Folks,

I had a few people complain that we were shutting down negative threads. They are fed up with BB with todays news (It's actually 6/28/2013, ignore the date on my post), and they want to talk about it. Well rather than have each of you make your own thread, please post your thoughts here!
    04-27-13 09:04 PM
    who think Thors should be a run the company from the background and have someone else speak in conference or events. I don't know what other ppl saw, but he is not a good speaker no matter how you want to spin it. He got no energy when he speaks and is ridiculously monotone. I don't know if anyone remember the z10 unveiled when he was doing the countdown. It was the most boring reveal ever. I thought he was falling asleep when he was doing the countdown.

They are trying to sell a product so they need a better salesman. You don't have someone that got no energy selling your product. Not everyone canrun the show and be in the front. Some ppl are just born better speaker, he is obviously not one of them.
    05-28-13 11:08 AM
    I think he comes off as genuine more than boring so it's okay.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-13 11:17 AM
    The man in charge and leading the team should speak. It would be a different story if he "Couldn't" get the company's point across in a professional manner and wasn't very articulate. Then, I could see the company using someone as a figurehead for the company with public speaking skills.

But in the shape blackberry is in, the people want to hear from the man in charge who is trying to turn everything around.

Posted via my Zee 10
    05-28-13 11:31 AM
    I think he is doing a great job of speaking. People can read threw smoke screens. In my opinion Steve Jobs wasn't a great public speaker not because he lacked energy or excitement because he obviously did. When Jobs spoke I got the feeling he was he was trying to pull a fast one by us, it was like he was sheppard getting the flock of sheep to blindly follow him. When someone is genuine like Thorsten Heins people get and appreciate it as Thorsten is appealing to people’s intelligence.
    05-28-13 11:47 AM
    That or he needs some coaching. He isn't a very good speaker.
    JeepBB, ekv and jasperlin like this.
    05-28-13 11:50 AM
    I actually like Mr. Heins. He is always straightforward and levelheaded. No BS. He chooses his words very carefully.
    05-28-13 11:53 AM
    A lot of people are examining every word he says. I think he's being very cautious and smart.

People will twist anything they can into a story. For example, he says tablets will exist in a different form and people interpret that there will be no bb10 for playbook or blackberry abandoning playbook fans ect...

Look at all the things balsille said that he's still getting blasted for. Or even Steve Jobs famously saying 7in tabs are doa and everybody (amazon, Google, even apple making 7in tabs)!!

Better safe than sorry.

Posted via CB10
    peter9477 likes this.
    05-28-13 12:04 PM
    The CEO's role is not to work as a programmer, fixing software bugs and updating features, it is to monitor and lead the strategic direction of the company. For a job that he gets paid $10 million for, he can afford to hire a speaking coach to help him communicate more effectively.
    05-28-13 12:57 PM
    I personally think he is good and had that german touch that you call monotony...I think it suits him well and I appreciated all BlackBerry events I have seen so far and you could tell that the crowd also liked it. He is honest and you van tell that from the speech he gives. I think that makes him a great speaker. Just my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    peter9477 likes this.
    05-28-13 01:36 PM
    Mr. Heinz was hired to guide BlackBerry so that they would have a long and profitable future. Public speaking is difficult and the difficulty increases with the intensity of so many people scrutinizing everything you say and do not say. It is sort of like being a preacher...some people want a rah rah guy, others want a person who can help them deal with life issues, others want someone who is a great evangelist, others want someone who shepherds the flock and visits them regularly. The point of all this is that everyone has their "pet" characteristic that they like to see in a minister. Though all these characteristics are a part of the job description, no one person can do them in a way that will appease every expectation.

Mr. Heinz communicates much better in his second language than I do in his first. He interviews very well. He handles a live audience with launches and at BlackBerry Live with clarity and humor. He has improved from his first public speech to the most recent. He will continue to improve.

I find him refreshingly honest, a clear communicator, a person of vision who is also able to communicate that vision and to make the difficult decisions to bring the vision to reality. Is he the Billy Graham of BlackBerry? No. But he is the man for the hour. He has his skill set and he is growing in his BlackBerry role. I for one do not think he should be in the background. I want him to speak.
    jstirtzinger, peter9477 and web99 like this.
    05-28-13 01:47 PM
    I agree, if you are going to do a presentation, then get people who can give an exciting and informative presentation. If you are going to talk business, then have the man in charge talk. If you are going to let people ask a bunch of technical questions, then get the technical people talk.

BlackBerry could do with some people creating a "show". Isn't that what they got Alicia Keyes for?
    peter9477 likes this.
    05-28-13 01:53 PM
    I'd rather hear it form the horses mouth and have transparency than to have some corporate PR/spokesperson who doesn't even really care about the company nor have a vision for the company tell me a bunch of crap.

The real issue is finding more people with a passion about what they're doing to run BlackBerry. Alec is one of them...
    peter9477 and web99 like this.
    05-28-13 02:05 PM
    I think Thorsten Heins is a good fit for BlackBerry. He shouldn't be all sales-man like. BlackBerry needs a serious leader with serious vision for the short and long term. Someone willing to see it through. I have the confidence that Thorsten Heins is that guy. Letting someone else speak for him would seem to me like he's giving some responsibility away. And it would certainly look like he's uncertain about himself.

He's good. Let the man do his job!
    peter9477 likes this.
    05-28-13 02:25 PM
    I think so far he is doing a good job. More important than how he says things, is that he says the correct things. well except for that comment about tablets not being around in five years. Other than that I'd say he's earning his pay.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    peter9477 and Bbnivende like this.
    05-29-13 10:36 PM
    Are you crazy?!

He is very passionate.

He has become one of my favorite CEOs and tech speakers of all time.

Go Thorsten Heins!

Gawd watch Lazaridis speak.

~STV
    peter9477 and BryanVilla like this.
    05-30-13 07:56 AM
    I love hearing Thorston speak personally.

Posted via CB10
    peter9477 likes this.
    05-30-13 09:50 AM
    I think he is fine and getting better everytime.

Posted via CB10
    peter9477 likes this.
    05-30-13 09:52 AM
    I like Thor's genuiness, diplomacy, knowledge and enthusiasm for BlackBerry. He also has a personality that lends to being approachable. I think he represents the essence of BlackBerry very well.

Curve 8320, Bold 9780, Bold 9900, PB 64gb, Z10
    jstirtzinger and peter9477 like this.
    05-30-13 09:55 AM
    who think Thors should be a run the company from the background and have someone else speak in conference or events. I don't know what other ppl saw, but he is not a good speaker no matter how you want to spin it. He got no energy when he speaks and is ridiculously monotone. I don't know if anyone remember the z10 unveiled when he was doing the countdown. It was the most boring reveal ever. I thought he was falling asleep when he was doing the countdown.

They are trying to sell a product so they need a better salesman. You don't have someone that got no energy selling your product. Not everyone canrun the show and be in the front. Some ppl are just born better speaker, he is obviously not one of them.
    I really hate taking this path, but I would really like to see you take a crack at it...
    05-30-13 10:00 AM
    I thought he was really poor the first time I heard him speak.
    But he kinda grew on me. I don't mind him speaking, but I think he should share the stage with Vivek more often as I think that they bounce off of each other quite well

Posted via CB10
    peter9477 likes this.
    05-30-13 10:08 AM
    No BS or spinning. Knowledgeable, smart and thoughtful = credibility. People are suspicious of being too "salesy".

Posted via CB10
    peter9477 likes this.
    05-30-13 10:30 AM
    I like the guy a lot and he's great for the company but he just sounds like some creepy dude with an accent on the stage sometimes. It wouldn't hurt to have a better public speaker making announcements but it's not a huge deal either.
    05-30-13 11:16 AM
    His confidence increases each time he talks. He maintains his humble, likeable idiom though.

Posted via CB10
    peter9477 likes this.
    05-30-13 12:35 PM
    I think someone else should handle the presentations. Heins lacks energy/excitement and swagger.
    05-30-13 12:43 PM
479 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD