Hello everybody,

I have searched the Z10 forum and did not find the answer to this question�

Pre-10 blackberry phones had the option �wifi preferred� that ensured that the device only used wifi (when one was available of course). This option is no longer available in the Z10 and it seems that the device is now set up to always switch to the strongest connection.

In reviewing my data usage with T-mobile I noticed a huge increase and, more importantly, most of the usage is recorded at times when my Z10 should have been connected to wifi. I called customer service and they indicated that one of the features of the Z10 that differentiates it from previous blackberry devices is that it constantly looks for the best connection.

Now, I said above that �it seemed� that way because, frankly, I don�t have another explanation for this behavior and T-Mobile's rep's explanation seems logical.

Anyway, for many of you the new setting in Z10 might be OK but for me it is not as I do not have an unlimited data plan. I don�t need one because my Z10 is (or should be) connected to a wifi at least 22 hours a day, be it at home or work.

Right now the only solution that I have is to manually turn on/off the �data services� under �mobile network� to ensure it only uses wifi for data; it works fine but it is getting really annoying having to do the switch manually.

So, do any of you know if there is a way to configure the Z10 so that it stays on wifi regardless of the strength of the signal? Alternatively, do any of you have used an app that would achieve the same results?

Thanks in advance for the help!
    04-26-13 12:22 PM
    Posting to see the responses. I didn't know this about "Strongest" connection. I assumed if wifi was there it would use that as default.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 Oreo
    billsterjito and sklotz2000 like this.
    04-26-13 12:23 PM
    Weird, when I'm at home, my LTE connection drops to Wifi and stays on Wifi until I leave again. Never had a "fight" with whatever signal is stronger
    04-26-13 12:30 PM
    Hello everybody,

I have searched the Z10 forum and did not find the answer to this question�

Pre-10 blackberry phones had the option �wifi preferred� that ensured that the device only used wifi (when one was available of course). This option is no longer available in the Z10 and it seems that the device is now set up to always switch to the strongest connection.

In reviewing my data usage with T-mobile I noticed a huge increase and, more importantly, most of the usage is recorded at times when my Z10 should have been connected to wifi. I called customer service and they indicated that one of the features of the Z10 that differentiates it from previous blackberry devices is that it constantly looks for the best connection.

Now, I said above that �it seemed� that way because, frankly, I don�t have another explanation for this behavior and T-Mobile's rep's explanation seems logical.

Anyway, for many of you the new setting in Z10 might be OK but for me it is not as I do not have an unlimited data plan. I don�t need one because my Z10 is (or should be) connected to a wifi at least 22 hours a day, be it at home or work.

Right now the only solution that I have is to manually turn on/off the �data services� under �mobile network� to ensure it only uses wifi for data; it works fine but it is getting really annoying having to do the switch manually.

So, do any of you know if there is a way to configure the Z10 so that it stays on wifi regardless of the strength of the signal? Alternatively, do any of you have used an app that would achieve the same results?

Thanks in advance for the help!
    Of course you can do this. Turn data service in mobile network options off. I always do this. Whenever I can connect to a decent wifi connection, I turn my cellular data device off, then switch my mobile network to 2 G only. It keeps the battery lasts longer.

Go to settings > network connections > mobile network > data services.
    anon(4044683) likes this.
    04-26-13 12:31 PM
    Haven't had that problem either. It seems my z10 wants to cling onto my weak wifi signal rather than switch to lte when I am outside my work/home. There are times when the wifi signal is so weak (1 bar) that it's connected, but nothing actually works. I have to disable wifi and force the lte connection.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-13 12:38 PM
    Of course you can do this. Turn data service in mobile network options off. I always do this. Whenever I can connect to a decent wifi connection, I turn my cellular data device off, then switch my mobile network to 2 G only. It keeps the battery lasts longer.

I do the same when in WIFI range and have not experience any increase in data usage. Since I'm with Verizon, I don't have the option of 2G. It reads 4gLTE.
    04-26-13 12:40 PM
    if the Wi-Fi icon is always up then that is not right that you get charged
    04-26-13 12:42 PM
    Exactly. I keep track of our usage as our son has an SG3, so we are aware of using WIFI whenever possible.
    04-26-13 12:46 PM
    I didn't have an issue with that either. I used about 700MB a minth with my 9810, now it is about 1.2GB with the Z10.
    Whenever I am on wifi, it will stay on it until I get out of range.
    04-26-13 12:49 PM
    I do the same when in WIFI range and have not experience any increase in data usage. Since I'm with Verizon, I don't have the option of 2G. It reads 4gLTE.
    Mine is STL 100-1 So I have the option to change to 2 G only. Really save the battery life.
    04-26-13 12:53 PM

As noted in my original post, that is what I am currently doing. What I am looking for is a solution that does not require manual action on a daily basis, but thanks for the post.
    04-26-13 12:55 PM
    for now I don't think there is another solution. keep turn it off manually

I just look at my data usage. Even though I am always on Wi-Fi there is always a small amount that is being draw.
    Now do you have a lot of email, weather app on as active frame, maps, internet browser on???? which would draw constantly data.
    04-26-13 01:00 PM
    Indeed, but T-Mobile indicates that the problem is my device and I have no way of proving otherwise.
    04-26-13 01:00 PM
    Tmobile has a new plan that offer unlimited data with 500 mb 4G. It's 50 bucks on eine, 80 bucks 2 lines and 10 for each additional. 10 bucks get you 2.5 gb unlimited. 20 bucks gets you unlimited 4g

Posted via CB10
    04-26-13 01:03 PM
    That's odd. My phone automatically uses wifi as soon as I walk in the door to home. I don't have to turn anything off to make that happen.... Do you have your wifi information saved in your phone?
    04-26-13 01:05 PM
    just spoke to my provider- right now Wi-Fi from morning till night- bedtime I turned my phone off
    I have used 40 mb out of 1 Gig in a month..it could be Wi-Fi hiccup or when I am out and about. (According to my provider)
    I never keep active frame on if I don't use it
    04-26-13 01:06 PM
    for now I don't think there is another solution. keep turn it off manually

I just look at my data usage. Even though I am always on Wi-Fi there is always a small amount that is being draw.
    Now do you have a lot of email, weather app on as active frame, maps, internet browser on???? which would draw constantly data.
    I do have a lot of emails but the only apps that I have on active frame are calendar and bbm; regardless, don't you think it should not matter if I have many apps on active frame if I am on wifi? I tell you, I am using my Z10 the same way I was using my previous blackberry and yet data usage is recorded at much higher rates by T-Mobile.
    04-26-13 01:06 PM
    I made it so that BlackBerry world only downloads through wifi.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-13 01:12 PM
    I hear you...You can not compare this phone from previous version of BB because there is no more BIS just regular smart phone plan which cost more in data drawing
    04-26-13 01:16 PM
    now Z10 is just like Iphone, Android phone, window phone ==use more data than previous BB
    04-26-13 01:19 PM
    just spoke to my provider- right now Wi-Fi from morning till night- bedtime I turned my phone off
    I have used 40 mb out of 1 Gig in a month..it could be Wi-Fi hiccup or when I am out and about. (According to my provider)
    I never keep active frame on if I don't use it
    And If I want similar results I will have to also switch manually, which is what we did not need to do with prior blackberry devices because they did it automatically with the "wifi preferred" option. Don't get me wrong, I'll do it but the technology should adapt to us not the other way around. On top of that I have to convince my wife to also do the same on her Z10 and can tell you right now that that is not going to be an easy task!
    04-26-13 01:20 PM
    And If I want similar results I will have to also switch manually, which is what we did not need to do with prior blackberry devices because they did it automatically with the "wifi preferred" option. Don't get me wrong, I'll do it but the technology should adapt to us not the other way around. On top of that I have to convince my wife to also do the same on her Z10 and can tell you right now that that is not going to be an easy task!
    So when you go out, and leave your wifi on, on your phone, and come back home, does your phone not pick up the wifi signal??

Have you checked to see if you have the latest OS running?

I leave my wifi on all the time, and it will automatically connect the second I walk in the door at home
    ezapper2 and John Pawling like this.
    04-26-13 01:32 PM
    So when you go out, and leave your wifi on, on your phone, and come back home, does your phone not pick up the wifi signal??

Have you checked to see if you have the latest OS running?

I leave my wifi on all the time, and it will automatically connect the second I walk in the door at home
    To your first question, yes it does. Wifi is always on; what I have been forced to do now is turn off "data services" on "mobile network" when on wifi to ensure the Z10 does not switch on its own to mobile network. I have OS 10.0.10.85 and don't plan on loading a leaked version.
    04-26-13 01:41 PM
    now Z10 is just like Iphone, Android phone, window phone ==use more data than previous BB
    Yes, and I know I am using more data than previous BB, but I am doing so while on wifi (or so I thought). I rarely use any apps while driving or on train commuting (which are the only times I don't have wifi); so the data usage recorded by T-Mobile should still be minimal.
    04-26-13 01:50 PM
    To your first question, yes it does. Wifi is always on; what I have been forced to do now is turn off "data services" on "mobile network" when on wifi to ensure the Z10 does not switch on its own to mobile network. I have OS 10.0.10.85 and don't plan on loading a leaked version.
    i have seen a few threads like this, where wifi still drains mobile data. I personally have not had this issue and I have a 6GB data plan, and use about 2-5gb a month and I can account for all of the data being used.
    John Pawling likes this.
    04-26-13 01:55 PM
51 123