So all (or majority) of conversations are about how that HW compares to this HW and same for SW (on one platform vs. another). Here are questions i'd like to ask to those working on user experience and usability overall - why not add innovative things? Same questions for users also, please don't feel cut off
    Something like user and routine predictions - I guess most of users are following same patterns in interaction with phone. During working days wake approx. same time, do same things and so on. Why not take that into account? Say if routine detected - suggestions can be made? Immagine - i come to gym and upon reaching out to the phone - i get music ready for me and maybe airplane mode activated. I can be given this option - like one big icon to engage. Maybe even send sms back in case call received with - "i'm in gym, will be back in 30 min". Within the phone you have possibility to have all this data about interactions as well as additional data - where user goes, how frequent, for how long, call patterns and so on. Why upon opening address book i have to deal with 300+ or more contacts? And not those i most likely will be calling on weekends or after work hours?

It is all seems to be so static and invented 5+ years ago... at best. Why?
    Last edited by EnBerry; 04-25-13 at 05:25 PM.
    04-25-13 05:14 PM
    i mean really, Hub in case of BBRY is good but c'mon it's been there for years now... It's good to pay respects to those legacy ideas but what about new ones?
    All innovations that are coming up - more PPI, faster processor, bigger screen, more memory. It's HW progress not actually phone generation growth. Kind of frustrating
    04-25-13 05:20 PM
    With that kind of process running in the back ground all day waiting for user inputs/data. The phone would need an impressive battery. The software need to be run constantly and sensing your surrounding in real-time would drain a big battery in no time, not to mention ur phone also seek cell signal constatntly too.The idea is neat; but ux is a very complicated subject as we tend to interact with our lives very different in according to our life styles, some also live spontaneous lives. Designing an algorithm to fit all kind of life style is...i'm not sure it is even feasible as of now but i do want to see it happens someday. It would be ground breaking technology.

About the address book. There is "adding people to favorite " option would eliminate your problem of seeing 300+ contact wouldn't it?
    04-25-13 05:44 PM
    I personally would find that annoying at times for example let's say you don't go to the gym it would act as if you were at the gym. But still a pretty big idea . One day it will happen.

Sent via my Z10 support your local paramedics run with scissors.
    04-25-13 10:33 PM
    I think the favorites thing bogs down the phone call log because you can't see who has called and you can't scroll down past favorites. I added three or four favorites and it was the most annoying thing in the world. Yes I know you can check the hub but still if someone has tons of favorites they will have trouble accessing the call log.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-13 11:07 PM
    You're in luck, as that is exactly what the software executive for BB said that BB was heading, or hoped it would be heading, in the article linked to the thread below:

"It would be getting in your car and your calendar knows where you're going and it can automatically program your car, your GPS system, get you to your destination, get traffic information. If you're going to be late for a meeting you can automatically tell (your colleagues) as you're on your way," he said, adding that the company envisions the technology being non-proprietary, so it could tie in with devices made by other companies.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...tvnews-799683/
    04-25-13 11:18 PM
    With that kind of process running in the back ground all day waiting for user inputs/data. The phone would need an impressive battery. The software need to be run constantly and sensing your surrounding in real-time would drain a big battery in no time, not to mention ur phone also seek cell signal constatntly too.The idea is neat; but ux is a very complicated subject as we tend to interact with our lives very different in according to our life styles, some also live spontaneous lives. Designing an algorithm to fit all kind of life style is...i'm not sure it is even feasible as of now but i do want to see it happens someday. It would be ground breaking technology.

About the address book. There is "adding people to favorite " option would eliminate your problem of seeing 300+ contact wouldn't it?
    Not sure it's just battery. Maybe but not sure. As far as favorites... well i know what that is, so thanks
    04-25-13 11:26 PM
    Hate to tell you my nexus did just about all that and the BlackBerry will soon I'm sure. The Google phone would learn my routine and predict my next move. Gave my favs in phone book. It knew driving habits and would alert me of traffic problems pretty cool stuff. Did not start playing music at the gym for me though. And really was the worse phone I had owned in the last 5 years.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-13 11:27 PM
    ^ Sound like a good idea, but I read this, makes me think creepy. Ha ha.

Big Brother (Google) is watching you right now.
    04-25-13 11:32 PM
    Thought did go through my head I would look up a place on my pc and get on the car my phone would suggest directions and how long it would take. Freaky

Posted via CB10
    04-25-13 11:35 PM
    you see... maybe they are innovating faster - i'm just wondering "when" it is coming

Phones from 10+ years back had same thing - screen, icons, apps. Same is today. And hey - background processes existed too since then. Keyboard usage is basically based on T9 concept (almost 20 years old) both virtual and physical. How about taking into account say email i'm answering to? Perform NLP and extract concepts, context, sentiments, etc. But not only that but also from all emails i wrote to that person and use this information to "suggest me" what to write.
    04-25-13 11:41 PM
    I personally would find that annoying at times for example let's say you don't go to the gym it would act as if you were at the gym. But still a pretty big idea . One day it will happen.

Sent via my Z10 support your local paramedics run with scissors.
    well... if you'd have those as not annoying suggestions hovering over your desktop and make them go away with a swipe in case you don't want to engage - that could be fine i guess. You'll be swiping to unlock anyway.
    What i mean is there are definitely ways to design interaction that would be fine. It's just nobody does this. Well, not true, other fruit started some rudimentary "remind me when i'm home" and "tickets when i'm in airport" so some details are popping out. But so basic...
    04-25-13 11:48 PM
    It begins with Big Brother watching you. It ends with Skynet, where algorithms can think for people eventually surpassing them, and replacing them.

It's already begun, as jobs & fleshy people are already being by machines.
    04-25-13 11:51 PM
    ^ Sound like a good idea, but I read this, makes me think creepy. Ha ha.

Big Brother (Google) is watching you right now.
    BigBrother should not... as i've mentioned in my other thread - tech should be designed as law states. Period. If private data is private it can not and should not go outside the phone nor be open to access. Unfortunately nobody complies with those laws.

As for creepy - i'd rather as not to call dull hybrid of pc and phone "digital assistant" cos' thats creepy
    04-25-13 11:53 PM
    Something like user and routine predictions - I guess most of users are following same patterns in interaction with phone. During working days wake approx. same time, do same things and so on. Why not take that into account? Say if routine detected - suggestions can be made? Immagine - i come to gym and upon reaching out to the phone - i get music ready for me and maybe airplane mode activated. I can be given this option - like one big icon to engage. Maybe even send sms back in case call received with - "i'm in gym, will be back in 30 min". Within the phone you have possibility to have all this data about interactions as well as additional data - where user goes, how frequent, for how long, call patterns and so on. Why upon opening address book i have to deal with 300+ or more contacts? And not those i most likely will be calling on weekends or after work hours?
    Sounds very "Google Now"-ish. Currently if I search for a movie while I'm at work, Google Now suggests movies at the closest theatre the next time I'm at work. Since I leave work at the same time every day, Google Now gives my commute time about 15 minutes before. It also gives me info on flights I need to take and when I need to leave for the airport with gate info.

This is not a Google commercial. I just wanted to point out that the idea that the OP is suggesting is very real and possible right now. Wouldn't take a stretch of the imagination to add controls that say if I've opened my music player every time I arrive at the gym, to automatically do that next time GPS says that's where I am.

Quite frankly Google Now is the one thing I absolutely KNOW that will be missed once I get my Z10 after my contract is up.
    04-25-13 11:54 PM
    It begins with Big Brother watching you. It ends with Skynet, where algorithms can think for people eventually surpassing them, and replacing them.

It's already begun, as jobs & fleshy people are already being by machines.
    Right. They show you few other movies and books and then use your fears to release tech to public slowly and with well controlled profit trend and so on. I'll repeat my thought from another thread:

- if law states that private data can't be accessed - it should be implemented as such technically by default. There shouldn't be any options to bypass it.
    - if law states that data can be accessed without individual consent - it should be implemented this way. There should be a possibility to go into configuration and explicitly give consent with all required elements (to whom, for what and how with all associated elements such as duration, which data type and so on)
    - if law states that those above can be overruled for specific needs through specific procedures it should be technically implemented this way with explicit notification to the individual (or not in case it goes under know exceptions such as national security and so on - but it's all tracked in systems and not just all are made open and accessible and that the solution).

These points can be more elaborated further but i believe they'd reflect my point of view or, at least, will provide thought direction.

Unfortunately majority if not all products/services and so on are far from respecting such concept for various reasons - political, economic or else.
    04-25-13 11:58 PM
    Sounds very "Google Now"-ish. Currently if I search for a movie while I'm at work, Google Now suggests movies at the closest theatre the next time I'm at work. Since I leave work at the same time every day, Google Now gives my commute time about 15 minutes before. It also gives me info on flights I need to take and when I need to leave for the airport with gate info.

This is not a Google commercial. I just wanted to point out that the idea that the OP is suggesting is very real and possible right now. Wouldn't take a stretch of the imagination to add controls that say if I've opened my music player every time I arrive at the gym, to automatically do that next time GPS says that's where I am.

Quite frankly Google Now is the one thing I absolutely KNOW that will be missed once I get my Z10 after my contract is up.
    will check that out, i've heard some but not much.
    04-26-13 12:00 AM

So... i checked and it seems like heavily relaying on online data. Obviously with internal data too. Which is fine but to me seems that it could be a solid second step.
    I'm missing a first step though - intelligence based on pure local data and routine user does every day. Say... regardless of number of apps - there are those you use the most, right? So why i have to arrange them myself? Why they couldn't populate desktop based on usage? It can be that additionally i can change that, adjust and so on. But as default it can be done based on usage.
    Or, when i'm calling and upon taking my phone from ear i select loudspeaker. Like 9 times out of 10. Why the phone can't start doing it for me? Away from ear - and it switches to loudspeaker. Maybe some more logic could be there... but still.
    So these simple steps and rules as self learning results could be taken and included in user experience which, i believe, will become a big deal as usability features.
    04-26-13 11:39 AM