First off...a little background.

Im a long time BB Torch user and dedicated QWERTY fan. Ive used the BB for many reasons, one of them being the keyboard. Ive gone through some good ones and some better ones but theyve all had the name BlackBerry on them.

My contract for my Torch is ending with Telus soon and a friend of mine loaned me a Z10 to use while he was on vacation for a couple of weeks. I had told him over and over "Im a physical keyboard guy" and nothing could change me. He kept saying, just try it youll be convinced. Then another BB friend of mine had made the switch, then another and another. So, what harm could it do? I took him up on his offer and Ive been using the Z10 now for about 3 weeks.

I have to admit, using the virtual keyboard was awkward for the first day or so. The advice I kept hearing was...keep on it, dont give up.

Then after a couple of days I noticed the change. It was getting easier and faster to type on the Z10. That aside the BB10 OS is awesome and I challenged many a Android/iOS/Windoze people to try to beat it and they cant come close.

ANYWAYS...ive been using it for a few weeks now and I can picture using this phone every day. Now the Q10 is coming out next week and Im really struggling with making the change. I know it probably seems minor and unlike others (my wife would have my head) I cant get two...unless I win one somewhere.

Do I go with the Q10 when I know full well the Z10 can fit all of my needs or do I just commit to the ZED. Commit to ZOD, er ZED.

Just throwing that out there...to see if anyone else had gone through this before. Have you just said "F" it and go Z or should I give the physical keyboard one more try.
    04-25-13 02:29 PM
    Go to your local BestBuy when it comes out for a try. Hate to drop the money if it isn't worth it. I was waiting for the q10 too but took the z10 plunge. Love the screen real estate too much to switch.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-13 02:37 PM
    My BlackBerry 10 history:

Got Dev Alpha A in Milano -
    Won Dev Alpha B during a contest -
    Used it as my primary device since DevCon Amsterdam (switched from 9900)
    Got the LE (Z10) -
    Using the Dev Alpha C as my daily driver since Monday...

Things just get better and better - as I use my BlackBerry 90% for texting, mailing, BBM...

Dev Alpha C > Z10

Posted via CB10
    04-25-13 02:53 PM
    To me the touch keyboard is so good on the Z10 it actually feels like using a traditional BB keyboard. Hard to explain. But the key spacings are ideal. Yeah it is still glass though. My opinion is the larger screen for using the browser and apps is a bit more important than gaining the physical keys on the Q10.

That said if I had to be on the road all day and only email via my phone I would lean towards getting a Q10.
    04-25-13 03:04 PM
    I've had many phones. Full screen or keyboard. Torch, Z10, curve, pearl, 8300 or something forget which model, HTC vivid.

They both have pros and cons. I love my Z10, it has its cons but the keyboard is awesome with its perfect auto correct
    It even knows when I've accidentally combine two words with b instead of using a space. If this is your main issue, go with the Z10 for my screen use. If you don't need the screen and feel comfortable with the keyboard seeing as how you're used to that, then the a10 as fat as I know they're basically the same phone.

Posted via CB10
    Hassan Hbk likes this.
    04-25-13 03:45 PM
    Base your decision on what you want more. Physical keys or large screen. I was a key man myself until I got the Z.
    Yes at times I miss my keys but even with the Q just around the corner, I will be staying with my Z.
    I can't go without the screen real estate now that I have it.

The only way I would do both is if I could just pop the sim in and out but have apps, data, emails, photos, etc synced at all times so it's seamless.
    04-25-13 03:53 PM
    if you want games and apps and a personal use phone, z10. If you want quick typing, more professional use phone, q10.

Also, if you desperately need skype instantly, go for q10 and come back if you choose when it comes to z10
    04-25-13 04:54 PM
    I have used the Z10, can type well on it, and love it, but with the Q10 having keyboard shortcuts, it pushes me past the tipping point toward the Q10 (swipey goodness AND keyboard shortcuts, AWESOME!) Add to that a more awesome battery and WAY better looking, I'm sold!
    04-25-13 11:07 PM
    Coming from the Torch 9800 where I had the screen size and the physical keyboard I decided to go with the Z10 for the screen size but I can't say that I love the virtual keyboard.
    I'd have to stick to the Z10 because of the screen over the physical keyboard I just wish for a BB10 slider as I miss the physical keyboard

Posted via CB10
    yellowhammer likes this.
    04-26-13 12:15 AM
    I'm using a Torch 9810 and used a 9800 before that...the phone size currently works for me. That said, it's only a 3.2" screen, and the Q10 is 3.1". In fact, from my post here: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...9810-a-766220/ you can see that the Q10 actually has slightly more screen real estate than a Torch 9800/9810! Coupled with the fact that the Q10's screen is a bit wider, with better resolution...it'll be easier to read full desktop sites on the Q10 than on the 9800/9810, with less zooming. Scrolling, sure, but that's not that big of a deal.

Coming from the Torch 9800 where I had the screen size and the physical keyboard I decided to go with the Z10 for the screen size but I can't say that I love the virtual keyboard.
    I'd have to stick to the Z10 because of the screen over the physical keyboard I just wish for a BB10 slider as I miss the physical keyboard

Posted via CB10
    04-26-13 12:47 AM
    First off...a little background.

Im a long time BB Torch user and dedicated QWERTY fan. Ive used the BB for many reasons, one of them being the keyboard. Ive gone through some good ones and some better ones but theyve all had the name BlackBerry on them.

My contract for my Torch is ending with Telus soon and a friend of mine loaned me a Z10 to use while he was on vacation for a couple of weeks. I had told him over and over "Im a physical keyboard guy" and nothing could change me. He kept saying, just try it youll be convinced. Then another BB friend of mine had made the switch, then another and another. So, what harm could it do? I took him up on his offer and Ive been using the Z10 now for about 3 weeks.

I have to admit, using the virtual keyboard was awkward for the first day or so. The advice I kept hearing was...keep on it, dont give up.

Then after a couple of days I noticed the change. It was getting easier and faster to type on the Z10. That aside the BB10 OS is awesome and I challenged many a Android/iOS/Windoze people to try to beat it and they cant come close.

ANYWAYS...ive been using it for a few weeks now and I can picture using this phone every day. Now the Q10 is coming out next week and Im really struggling with making the change. I know it probably seems minor and unlike others (my wife would have my head) I cant get two...unless I win one somewhere.

Do I go with the Q10 when I know full well the Z10 can fit all of my needs or do I just commit to the ZED. Commit to ZOD, er ZED.

Just throwing that out there...to see if anyone else had gone through this before. Have you just said "F" it and go Z or should I give the physical keyboard one more try.
    I was the guy who told everyone ill never purchase a touch screen the keyboard is way too important for me. Then I purchased my Z10 because wrll I wasn't gonna wait just buy my time, that didn't work so well. I fell in love and now everyone is like "Wait what! You on a touch screen Phone" if the Z10 gives you everything you want I say stick to it. The extra screen real estate is nice to have.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-13 02:30 AM
    I would say go with the z10. I was another BlackBerry user who thought I couldn't let go of a physical keyboard. I actually find that it's easier because I don't have to use that much pressure to type so I do type very fast on it and it's very comfortable.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-13 06:31 AM
    That's actually a very good point that I didn't notice before. And when I come to think of it I do notice a big difference in the hands after a long day of typing.

With the physical keyboard there is slightly more stress on the hands and the muscles typing as opposed to the Z10.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-13 07:13 AM
    I carry my phone naked in my shirt pocket, any prospective phone must fit the average shirt pocket with button flap closed.

The Z-10 does not, so I will get a Q and love it.

I work outside in and around machinery, and I prefer a tough small phone, and I haven't played a game since word mole on my 9650 I don't think. (hoping the Q is as tough as older BBs have been in the past)

I understand the quandry OP and other people are in, but these factors make it easy for me.
    04-26-13 07:32 AM
    I will echo the thoughts of many others here in saying I have refrained from full touch screen phones in the past but love the Z10. I would not give up the screen real estate to get back the physical keyboard. The keyboard on the Z10 is outstanding and I was able to make the transition pretty quickly like you and others.

My only pause to switching to the Q10 over the Z10 would be battery life. I get through the day but I wouldn't mind being able to use the phone more without worrying about having to charge it. With that said I am sticking with the Z10. I love this phone.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-13 03:13 PM
    I have been going over this in my mind, now that I've had the Z10 for a full two months (got mine Feb26) do I really need the Q10 ? But I want that physical keyboard back although the Z10 screen is getting to be easier all the time and I'm getting used to it (something I never thought I'd do) damn! Then it came to me (for us frivolous BB'S out there) get it in the other colour and I've never had a white phone so I think I'll justify it all by getting a white Q10, problem solved.
    04-27-13 03:06 AM
    My take is maybe, one can buy both. I am planning just that, since I already have a Z10, but some practical economic considerations:

I started being a Blackberry user with a Torch 9860, and also bought the same model for my wife.

Now I have the Z10 (love it very much) and thinking about buying the Q10 for my wife's upgrade.

That's not strictly having both phones with me, but it will all be in the family!

By the way, my 9860 which got replaced by the Z10 went to my 70-year old Mom. All in the family, as I said.
    04-27-13 03:40 AM
    Buy both and return one after 14 days.
    04-27-13 06:57 AM
    I personally think that after you have used the z10 for a few weeks, if you bought a Q10 you would be disappointed. You would miss the larger srceen size that you have gotten used.
    04-27-13 07:30 AM
    I think the Z10 has too much in its favour and the screen size definitely has its advantages. the Q10 display appears too small and I suspect it will, to some extent, sacrifice the experience for what many consider the necessity of the keys
    04-27-13 07:40 AM
    Gabedabomb, Thanks, your size break-down post was very helpful. I can read pretty well on my 9000, so the Q10 should be plenty big enough. I carry my phone on my belt while riding a horse, so I think the Z10 is too big.
    04-27-13 07:47 AM
    The only thing against the Q10 is that many games may not be coded for the smaller Q10 screen. While I never played games on my 9900 (ok, we were pretty left out of all the "cool" games) admittingly I've loaded several onto my Z10 now and none of them are compatible with the Q10 screen (yet, if ever.)
    04-28-13 01:47 AM