Absolutely pissed right now! I just downloaded thatminor update from stupid Verizon this morning and it's totally crippled my Sideloads and Android Player. Damn you Verizon! You refused to bring us to at least 10.0.10 probably won't release 10.1 till F'en Christmas but you'll release this piece of crap that's crippled my Sideloads. Ugh! I seriously feel like throwing it in someone's face right now.

Posted Securely Via My BlackBerry Z10.
    lactose likes this.
    04-25-13 10:55 AM
    That's the risk you take with sideloading. Why blame the carrier for breaking applications with no official support for BB10 from BlackBerry or the developer???
    leafnstion44 likes this.
    04-25-13 10:57 AM
    That's the risk you take with sideloading. Why blame the carrier for breaking applications with no official support for BB10 from BlackBerry or the developer???
    Um, what!? Android Player and the whole Sideloading thing is unfortunately an inherent and baked in aspect of BB10. How else do you explain the abundance of Android apps available in BlackBerry World itself? "No official support from Bb10" the apps I'm talking about are from BlackBerry World explain to me how they even end up there without "Official BlackBerry 10 support "This is absolutely a Carrier issue for putting out this piece of garbage update that ends up crippling an intricate part of the O.S.

04-25-13 11:11 AM
    I have worked closely with Verizon in the past. I would surprise me if they took any interest in testing side loading. It would also surprise me if they actually did the testing, I would bet it was farmed out. Thorough testing is very expensive and time consuming, they don't have the budget for it. Their business model demands they just ship it good enough to where there isn't an all out consumer revolt. We keep rewarding these companies with business, we're not smart enough to stop. Look at overall cell phone reviews, any model, any carrier and see what I mean.
    04-25-13 11:13 AM
    So blame BlackBerry for having no apps to use? Yes. Ok. Why do some of you even post?

Posted via CB10
    04-25-13 11:13 AM
    Terminology mixup:

Sideloading is the process of taking applications made for Adnroid and using a third party tool to convert them to a .bar file. Android apps from BlackBerry World have been ported by the developer, not a third party so really the better term would be a 'ported' application.

If the VZW update has affected ported applications then that's a different issue.
    21stNow likes this.
    04-25-13 11:14 AM
    Absolutely pissed right now! I just downloaded thatminor update from stupid Verizon this morning and it's totally crippled my Sideloads and Android Player. Damn you Verizon! You refused to bring us to at least 10.0.10 probably won't release 10.1 till F'en Christmas but you'll release this piece of crap that's crippled my Sideloads. Ugh! I seriously feel like throwing it in someone's face right now.

You should be upset with yourself, not with Verizon. Always always always look into an update before you do one. Just because there is an update available does NOT mean you should download it.
    04-25-13 11:15 AM
    You should be upset with yourself, not with Verizon. Always always always look into an update before you do one. Just because there is an update available does NOT mean you should download it.
    I totally disagree. If it's from the carrier it should be considered safe and acceptable for download. The problem the OP is having is a minor on in Verizon's eyes...they just don't want to brick the phone. (And yes, that happened to my sister with her Droid X2.)
    04-25-13 11:21 AM
    To the OP, does Android ports in BlackBerry World still work?

I'm curious if Verizon made BlackBerry disable side loading in their OS. Verizon is crazy controlling of all their devices now. So it wouldn't surprise me if they did ask BlackBerry to disable this feature. Side loading can do bad things to your phone. So in Verizon's eyes it would be easier to just block the feature altogether.

Typed on my Dev Alpha C, Posted Via CB10
    04-25-13 11:39 AM
    It is supported otherwise BlackBerry would not allow the phone to side load.

Tim

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    04-25-13 11:53 AM
    Terminology mixup:

Sideloading is the process of taking applications made for Adnroid and using a third party tool to convert them to a .bar file. Android apps from BlackBerry World have been ported by the developer, not a third party so really the better term would be a 'ported' application.

If the VZW update has affected ported applications then that's a different issue.
    Agreed, but my "Official " android ports use the same android player as sideloads. All of my official and my couple of sideloads all force close at start up.

04-25-13 11:53 AM
    To the OP, does Android ports in BlackBerry World still work?

I'm curious if Verizon made BlackBerry disable side loading in their OS. Verizon is crazy controlling of all their devices now. So it wouldn't surprise me if they did ask BlackBerry to disable this feature. Side loading can do bad things to your phone. So in Verizon's eyes it would be easier to just block the feature altogether.

They do not.

04-25-13 11:55 AM
    Seriously? If we are to treat "Official " as a "Risk" then I might as well load a "Leak on it. This is ridiculous.

04-25-13 11:59 AM
    I totally disagree. If it's from the carrier it should be considered safe and acceptable for download. The problem the OP is having is a minor on in Verizon's eyes...they just don't want to brick the phone. (And yes, that happened to my sister with her Droid X2.)
    I think we are learning otherwise. If OP is right, we just learned that you can't trust a carrier to test thoroughly. Just like any other patches for computers or any other device. Let some other unfortunate person find the bugs or report success. Sorry it was you OP.
    04-25-13 11:59 AM
    Both my Sideloaded apps work still after the update this morning. hmm....
    04-25-13 12:03 PM
    Both my Sideloaded apps work still after the update this morning. hmm....
    Jealousy and now further confusion is upon me.

04-25-13 12:07 PM
    This is the same as having an iPhone, getting a notification that there is an update, and you update, and now you cannot jailbreak the phone. Sure, it's official from the provider, but prevents you from doing something that you could previously do. Just because an official update is released, that does not mean you need to immediately download it. The responsibility lies within you to research exactly what that update contains, and what will be affected.

Be as mad as you want at Verizon, but remember that you downloaded the update.
    04-25-13 12:08 PM
    It is supported otherwise BlackBerry would not allow the phone to side load.

Tim

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    No. Side loading is allowed, not supported.
    Ported apps are supported.

Posted via CB10
    KDB84 likes this.
    04-25-13 12:12 PM
    They do not.

If it were me, I'd back up with BlackBerry Link and then perform a security wipe and reload the latest OS.

This used to happen with the PlayBook, your Android Runtime got broke. Reloading the OS should fix ya up.

04-25-13 12:13 PM
    So this update has been out for over an hour. I would think this thread would explode if all Verizon users were denied ported and sideloaded apps.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-13 12:14 PM
    This is the same as having an iPhone, getting a notification that there is an update, and you update, and now you cannot jailbreak the phone. Sure, it's official from the provider, but prevents you from doing something that you could previously do. Just because an official update is released, that does not mean you need to immediately download it. The responsibility lies within you to research exactly what that update contains, and what will be affected.

Be as mad as you want at Verizon, but remember that you downloaded the update.
    My issue with what you're saying is Apple would love nothing more than to obliterate jailbreaking period. Apple intends to kill it with every stupid meaningless ios update. BlackBerry HAS, NEEDS the Android Player to not only run sideloads for developers but to run the official stuff from BlackBerry World. So your whole "Prevent you from doing something you previously could Do" makes no sense to me, due to the fact that you can't compare "Jailbreaking " to the BlackBerry Native Android Player.

04-25-13 12:17 PM
    What are the apps that are no longer working?

Could it be Skype related? Wasn't Skype exclusive to Verizon on the older BlackBerrys? Perhaps they were making some changes in regards to Skype on BB10 and broke some of the Android compatibility.
    04-25-13 12:19 PM
    Seriously? If we are to treat "Official " as a "Risk" then I might as well load a "Leak on it. This is ridiculous.

i agree with you entirely. android porting is part of what made me buy a z10 rather than keep my 9900/jump ship to another phone. If there were no android applications ported over, z10 sales would be crippled.

and to those comparing it to jailbreaking an iphone, get a clue. Cydia isn't supported by apple, whereas installing apk's converted to bars completely is not only supported, but encouraged.
    04-25-13 12:21 PM
    If it were me, I'd back up with BlackBerry Link and then perform a security wipe and reload the latest OS.

This used to happen with the PlayBook, your Android Runtime got broke. Reloading the OS should fix ya up.

I will try that. Although my PlayBook never did that.

blakobecwa likes this.
    Research next time before you click download and accept. Regardless of what my comparison is, this is not Verizon's fault.
38 12