According to Michael Kane of CTV BNN there are rumors that BlackBerry intends to focus solely on the enterprise market while abandoning for consumers, leaving them to Apple.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    richardat likes this.
    04-24-13 05:53 AM
    According to Michael Kane of CTV BNN there are rumors that BlackBerry intends to focus solely on the enterprise market while abandoning for consumers, leaving them to Apple.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    RIM: No, We’re Not Exiting the Consumer Market | TIME.com

These things were talked about last year roughly this time of year as well. Not sure what the big issue is with March/April lol.
    04-24-13 05:54 AM
    Like does it take a brain cell to figure out that never going to happen.
    Consider the source I guess. Spamming negative articles or hearsay from a news broadcast, with zero merits is what this OP does.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-13 06:06 AM
    At least post the source..

Posted via CB10
    04-24-13 06:08 AM
    I just seen this as well. Makes good sense though in regards to leaving the handset portion to others and focusing on software for enterprise. With the loss of BIS on the consumer side, their monthly revenue will start to dwindle.

I am NOT an analyst so I am only guessing...
    04-24-13 06:16 AM
    Lol this thread makes me laugh

Posted via CB10
    lang007 likes this.
    04-24-13 06:17 AM
    Glad to hear it Jesse_h. Laughing is good for for your health.
    litig8or98 and jesse_h like this.
    04-24-13 06:22 AM
    Was this announced via Twitter?

Posted via CB10
    04-24-13 06:23 AM
    This is only his question of the day lol...how bout those misleading headlines.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-13 06:29 AM
    I witnessed the same broadcast on Canada AM during the 6:45 am business spot this morning. Michael Kane is not one to disseminate false information. He has built a reputation of digging for insightful news.

Michael Kane attributed the news to a research analyst (you know the same bunch that can't seem to get much right), so most viewers know to take such news with a grain of salt.

Still, this kind of info can easily gain credibility especially among the shorts.

For Waterloo, BB exiting the consumer market would prove disastrous as a good chunk of local employment would disappear along with all the manufacturing facilities whether BB sells the consumer division or simply shuts it down.

The fact that BB is excessively secretive about its plans (only extremely vague news about any coming devices other than the Q10), the relatively modest success of the Z10, apparent lack of acceptance of the Z10 in the US, consumer intransigence about change and developer resistance in providing apps may all conspire to have BB make the hard decision to look at what it does and go for the easy money which is still in enterprise services. Now that Mike Lazaridis is gone, there isn't much reason for BB to continue in historical businesses that would be nigh on impossible to revive let alone be massively profitable.

My hope is that BB does continue in the consumer market but the cold hard truth of coming quarters of financial results may dash that hope. Perhaps we'll have a better indication at the end of Q1.
    richardat likes this.
    04-24-13 06:35 AM
    I seen it on the business section of CanadaAM news broadcast
    04-24-13 06:37 AM
    just when they have a consumer friendly smart phone that blows away the competion ,doesn't seem credible.
    04-24-13 07:05 AM
    So they did all the balance stuff etc and now they are going to do that? So are they getting out of phones altogether? Or will only make phones for business?
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-24-13 07:14 AM
    I agree jojo. As the saying goes, time will tell. I hope BB does NOT leave the hardware side of things. Would bring some sort of light to the previous talks of licensing their OS to vendors though. Especially now that the BB devices do not have the physical call and home buttons as the previous devices, it would be possible to accommodate say the SGS3 hardware using the BB OS.
    04-24-13 07:16 AM
    So they did all the balance stuff etc and now they are going to do that? So are they getting out of phones altogether? Or will only make phones for business?

According to the blurb on the news story, Kane mentioned that BB would be surrendering the hardware to another company and mentioned "apple" in that blurb. Wish they had the video online already, I keep checking but it is not there yet.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-24-13 07:18 AM
    Isn't Balance an enterprise feature? To me it seems like a counter to people carrying two devices so as to not be forced to use the corporate-issued BlackBerry for personal use; it makes the corporate-issued phone more attractive as a personal device.
    04-24-13 07:21 AM
    Isn't Balance an enterprise feature? To me it seems like a counter to people carrying two devices so as to not be forced to use the corporate-issued BlackBerry for personal use; it makes the corporate-issued phone more attractive as a personal device.
    It also allows people to buy Blackberry's personally and then use them for work communications under the ever growing BYOD push.
    04-24-13 07:25 AM
    I have been speculative to see if they would stop making hardware altogether. There have been interviews with Torsten Hines asking him if he was going to leave the hardware and focus solely on software, he hasn't directly answer that question. Which leads me to believe that something is seriously considering.

I just hope they never drop the devices. Yes we all love their software and how it runs in that truly is the heart of the matter the form factor is also a significant portion I would say the form factor is a higher portion than normal phones are considered for form factor. But that only relate to the keyboard type physical devices.
    04-24-13 07:31 AM
    Canada AM posted now,

Canada AM | Video - Watch Canada's Most Watched National Morning News Program - Canada AM

The actual BB portion starts a@ 1:53

Left hand side click on "Must Watch" then select the Michael Kane video. I cant link directly to it.
    Last edited by MobileMadness002; 04-24-13 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Added additiona location to video.
    VJgamer and RazzBerry like this.
    04-24-13 07:36 AM
    The concept of the software on other device seems tempting, the idea of exit consumer market seems outrages, It's the first time I had a BB with my Z10, so from my point of view they only just entered the consumer market. Think they have put far too much into the software on a consumer level toe exit the consumer market... having developers for popular apps isn't cheap from a ressource pow. Even if some apps are desired many are there. The strategy of having android run time, that works in some cases also seem of and mroe threathening to BB if they were to focus solely on enterprise - Doesn't make sense now does it.
    04-24-13 07:39 AM
    If this happens it would only be once BlackBerry have a solid corporate user base. Not going to happen right now as they lost too many corporations to apple to be able to survive without the consumer user base. I'm not saying this will never happen, just that it won't happen and can't happen before a couple of years with strong growth in the corporate user base .

Posted via CB10
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    04-24-13 07:40 AM
    True but they exit the consumer market will there be anything there for your personal side?
    04-24-13 07:44 AM
    Let's clear the air. I talk to the RIM folks weekly on a conference call. They are not getting out ot the consumer market. They are actually pushing hard to make biger inroads into that space. They realize it will be a hard way to go but they are working on it. These rumors are just that rumors. Always consider your source whne you post these things. Someone probably has stock and is speculating and hoping the stock to move and try to make some money in the process.
    2 Phonez, Vurhan, bungaboy and 2 others like this.
    04-24-13 07:49 AM
    I seen it on the business section of CanadaAM news broadcast
    My english teacher from high school just rolled over in her grave.
    04-24-13 08:03 AM
    It also allows people to buy Blackberry's personally and then use them for work communications under the ever growing BYOD push.
    I get that it allows that, but two-phone users are generally using a non-BlackBerry as their personal device, not the other way around, at least based on current data. After all, BBRY is first and foremost an enterprise services company.

True but they exit the consumer market will there be anything there for your personal side?
    Don't get me wrong; I'm not claiming the story is legit. Just saying that Balance is not necessarily a sign of committment to the consumer market as it is an option for corporate users who might otherwise carry a second device (or vice versa).
    04-24-13 08:05 AM
77 123 ...