Hey everyone,

So I'm struggling a bit with determining the fastest way to place a call, with my Z10

With past phones, I could place a call directly from BBM, or emails, or anywhere really, but opening the menu with my BB button and hitting 'call'

Now I am finding with the Z10 it is rather tedious to call someone... maybe I am missing an easy step?

I can of course hit the phone button and navigate that way, or else I have to goto the phone book, scroll or type their name, and click their number

What is bugging me is the lack of a way to just call someone straight away when I am in a BBM conversation with them... something that simple should really be in the menu at the bottom of the conversation

Same goes for anything in the Hub really, if I do a long press-hold over anything it should allow you to 'call' right from that menu

Perhaps I am tired and missing the obvious
    04-23-13 11:19 PM
    In a text message you can click and hold a persons name and call them is an option that pops up... its odd that you cannot do the same move within BBM...
    04-23-13 11:29 PM
    Hey everyone,

So I'm struggling a bit with determining the fastest way to place a call, with my Z10

With past phones, I could place a call directly from BBM, or emails, or anywhere really, but opening the menu with my BB button and hitting '
    call'
    when you are chatting in BBM don't you see top right corner a phone that indicate that person is available for BBM phone call???

Now I am finding with the Z10 it is rather tedious to call someone... maybe I am missing an easy step
    ?

Search from main screen type the fisrt letters of a name then you have some choice tap the name you want. Then it brings up the contact card from phone

I can of course hit the phone button and navigate that way, or else I have to goto the phone book, scroll or type their name, and click their number

What is bugging me is the lack of a way to just call someone straight away when I am in a BBM conversation with them... something that simple should really be in the menu at the bottom of the conversation

Same goes for anything in the Hub really, if I do a long press-hold over anything it should allow you to 'call' right from that menu

Perhaps I am tired and missing the obvious
    04-23-13 11:35 PM
    In a text message you can click and hold a persons name and call them is an option that pops up... its odd that you cannot do the same move within BBM...
    I just tried that, no option there for placing a call

Little bit more specific please?

I can click and hold their name, the only option I get is to goto their contact listing, where I can call

But thats still 2 steps too many
    04-23-13 11:42 PM
    99% of my BBM contacts don't have BBM call capability, old hardware etc
    04-23-13 11:45 PM
    go BB website there is a couple video of how to bbm chat,call and video
    04-23-13 11:45 PM
    From the Blue Header on top, the option to open contacts shows up, where you can choose the option to make a call, provided BBM unique pin and call number are entered into the same contact.
    04-23-13 11:49 PM
    From the Blue Header on top, the option to open contacts shows up, where you can choose the option to make a call, provided BBM unique pin and call number are entered into the same contact.
    Ok got ya, so what I just replied with

But thats still too many steps if I want to make a quick call, maybe I'm just getting bitter and want everything 'now'?

So short answer is no, there is no way to just place a phone call with 1 'click' from a conversation?
    04-23-13 11:55 PM
    Not bbm, but in text chat click and hold the persons name, either in the list of ongoing text convos, or in a specific convo that you have clicked on. A menu pops up on the right that includes call.
    04-24-13 12:01 AM
    On my old BB, I actually never knew you could place a call directly from the BBM app, itself. From what I understood of BBM, it never had voice capabilities, or at didn't in prior iterations, as BBM would then be using the BB servers for voice services. As BBM uses it's own PIN number to communicate between devices, it uses a different system than phone services which use one's phone number.

Of course, I'm speaking from my limited understanding of BBM, which I hardly uses on past BBMs and BB may have integrated BBM with other services for BB10, as BBM now can do voice chat.
    04-24-13 12:06 AM
    Not bbm, but in text chat click and hold the persons name, either in the list of ongoing text convos, or in a specific convo that you have clicked on. A menu pops up on the right that includes call.
    Only thing that pops up on the right is 'Open Contact Card'
    04-24-13 12:16 AM
    Ok got ya, so what I just replied with

But thats still too many steps if I want to make a quick call, maybe I'm just getting bitter and want everything 'now'?

So short answer is no, there is no way to just place a phone call with 1 'click' from a conversation?
    too many steps? 2 button presses from a text, cmon man, that extra 1 second press is a killer. Are we really getting that lazy now? I can't wait till we can just control our phones with our minds
    kidmac13 likes this.
    04-24-13 12:18 AM
    It's odd, if you press on a contact name in the dedicated "text messaging" app, no call icon. If you press on the same contact name in the Hub, call icon appears.

Hmmm actually it works on some and not others.

OK... looks like if the contact contains a "Home" number, the phone icon appears. Has to be a bug.
    Last edited by scrannel; 04-24-13 at 12:35 AM.
    04-24-13 12:25 AM
    too many steps? 2 button presses from a text, cmon man, that extra 1 second press is a killer. Are we really getting that lazy now? I can't wait till we can just control our phones with our minds
    It was an option with the old phones, Torch specifically... I could press-hold the BB button and insta dial

Why a step back in efficiency? This has nothing to do with lazyness, BB phones are supposed to be for business, and getting things done quicker.

Appreciate the hostile sarcasm though

It's odd, if you press on a contact name in the dedicated "text messaging" app, no call icon. If you press on the same contact name in the Hub, call icon appears.

OK... looks like if the contact contains a "Home" number, the phone icon appears. Has to be a bug.
    So thats the issue... NO one uses home phones anymore, in my circle of contacts. Everyone is mobile.
    04-24-13 12:40 AM
    It was an option with the old phones, Torch specifically... I could press-hold the BB button and insta dial

Why a step back in efficiency? This has nothing to do with lazyness, BB phones are supposed to be for business, and getting things done quicker.

Appreciate the hostile sarcasm though

So thats the issue... NO one uses home phones anymore, in my circle of contacts. Everyone is mobile.
    I am in your side, bb10 us intuitive but slow, and u don't mean slow processing.

I don't think there is a one click to call, maybe there is a hidden gesture?

Posted via CB10
    04-24-13 06:52 AM

It seems to be tied to having a work number, for me. I have some contacts that have a work number, but who do not have a home number, and I'm still able to see the phone icon. I also have some contacts with a home phone, but who do not have a work phone; on these I am missing the phone icon.

Either way, pressing the phone icon does not call the contact - it just opens the phone app.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-13 07:25 AM
    I just tried that, no option there for placing a call

Little bit more specific please?

I can click and hold their name, the only option I get is to goto their contact listing, where I can call

But thats still 2 steps too many
    It's one extra step.
    But you will find that on any phone with no dedicated call button

Posted via CB10
    04-24-13 07:30 AM
    It's one extra step.
    But you will find that on any phone with no dedicated call button

Posted via CB10
    There is a call icon if the person is not in your contacts. It would be really nice to have both, the contacts and the phone call icon, available in the menu.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-13 07:50 AM
    There is a call icon if the person is not in your contacts. It would be really nice to have both, the contacts and the phone call icon, available in the menu.

Posted via CB10
    Personally I don't find it too much of an issue. If I'm sms conversing, I tap their name and their contact details open up with a list of options. Calling is just one tap away. Two taps altogether for the whole process
    The difference is seconds at most

Posted via CB10
    04-24-13 08:12 AM
    Personally I don't find it too much of an issue. If I'm sms conversing, I tap their name and their contact details open up with a list of options. Calling is just one tap away. Two taps altogether for the whole process
    The difference is seconds at most

Posted via CB10
    I know it is not a huge imposition, but it would be nicer to have it, than not. It would make the user's experience more intuitive and eliminate a source of confusion.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-13 08:17 AM
    Are we getting smart dial like in android for the dialer in 10.1?

Posted via CB10
    04-24-13 08:25 AM
    I know it is not a huge imposition, but it would be nicer to have it, than not. It would make the user's experience more intuitive and eliminate a source of confusion.

Posted via CB10
    I can't argue with that. Might be nice if they add it when they can, but I wouldn't call it a priority
    I need to check how android deals with the same issue. That's something to do tonight

Posted via CB10
    04-24-13 08:55 AM
    I can't argue with that. Might be nice if they add it when they can, but I wouldn't call it a priority
    I need to check how android deals with the same issue. That's something to do tonight

Posted via CB10
    Indeed, not a massive issue... by any means

But I noticed it right away, when migrating from a Torch

Something so simple, but easily missed for myself
    04-27-13 06:10 PM