Was scrolling thru my Z10 and came across the icon from the recently downloaded "Yellow Pages" app... Take a look.... Terrible! Hahahaha. The lack of uniformity and underutilised space of BB10 icons has been vexing me for a while now...

I always thought the OG "portrait shaped Rectangular" icons were very sophisticated and cool from a design standpoint, and these "Android/Playbook" style ones make the app launcher screen look rather ****ty...

(Not much you can do about the side loads though...)

Say what you will about iOS and Windows Phone, but they have committed to a uniform style for their icons and that uniformity projects an image of continuity and stability... Thoughts?

BB10 needs standardised APP icons-blackberry-10-l-series-571x600.jpg
    Attachment 154079
    Attached Thumbnails BB10 needs standardised APP icons-img_00000345.png  
    anon(4044683) and rayporsche like this.
    04-22-13 10:08 PM
    It's one of the reasons why there is a shadow rectangular box around the icons.
    The previous version of BB10 (pre release) didn't have it.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-13 10:47 PM
    They do have some design rules for their icons but not just one like iOS and windows! I really want them to bring the old style back it was pretty unique for bb10. They just listened to some dev feed back and changed them to accomodate android apps

Posted via CB10
    04-22-13 10:47 PM
    I personally liked the squared icons but, have grown to like the Ones we have now. I think they chose to have the kind we have now, to kind of blend the difference between a BlackBerry 10 native app and an Android Port.

Posted with my AT&T BlackBerry Z10
    04-22-13 11:28 PM
    Thank goodness for the rectangular background. At least it offers some degree of uniformity to the eye at first glance. I used to hate my android screen, just a motley crew of different shapes and sizes and styles of icons with no backgrounds. I think the uniform icon style of iOS makes it look nest and appealing. Not to mention the required shadow each icon must have which gives them a pseudo 3d look. Unique to iOS.

Posted via CB10
    rayporsche likes this.
    04-22-13 11:41 PM
    They have guidelines and icon packs.

Problem is apps like this look like homebrew port a thon apps.

Posted via CB10
    SDTRMG likes this.
    04-22-13 11:44 PM
    Icon guidelines are quite comprehensive, see here: https://developer.blackberry.com/dev...ion_icons.html
    SDTRMG likes this.
    04-23-13 02:25 AM
    Just curious, is there any possibility to remove the shadows behind the icons?

Posted via CB10
    04-23-13 06:44 AM
    Just curious, is there any possibility to remove the square shadows behind the icons?

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    04-23-13 08:05 AM
    Just curious, is there any possibility to remove the shadows behind the icons?

Posted via CB10
    No its not possible, but using a dark or black background will make it seem like there not there.

Posted via CB10
    maxell likes this.
    04-23-13 11:38 AM
    I liked the older style also. I like the way the PlayBook has them, but the sizes vary too much. The current style has grown on me, though. It reminds me of BB7 (when you highlight an icon with the Trackpad, the icon is highlighted in the same way the shadow surrounds the current icon panel).

I don't want to complain but if given the choice between the current icons and the Dev Alpha design, I'd take the latter. Actually, there were quite a few design elements from the dev OS versions that I was disappointed to not see in the release version. I hope some of them make it back in one way or another.

Posted via CB10
    Canadarrryl likes this.
    04-23-13 11:52 AM
    I dunno, the ability to have transparent (non-square) icons is pretty cool, IMO. For example, I think CB10 app really fits well. Having said that, I went with squared full-size icons with a subtle highlight to echo the non-transparent BB10 icons (like Games, or Voice Control).

It's a shame most devs just slap in their Android or iOS icons instead of tweaking them for the platform. We don't need no steenkin' rounded rectangles!
    04-23-13 12:04 PM
    I dunno, the ability to have transparent (non-square) icons is pretty cool, IMO. For example, I think CB10 app really fits well. Having said that, I went with squared full-size icons with a subtle highlight to echo the non-transparent BB10 icons (like Games, or Voice Control).

It's a shame most devs just slap in their Android or iOS icons instead of tweaking them for the platform. We don't need no steenkin' rounded rectangles!
    That's a good point. I think that for the most part, the icons look fine. The developers did a good job conforming their icon to the guidelines. Even the two Android apps I have look native from the look of the icon. The only app I have that could've used some resizing is Splashtop. Still, I thought the older look was unique and gave the app grid a more colorful and filled" look.

Posted via CB10
    Canadarrryl likes this.
    04-23-13 12:08 PM
    I like them like they are although the grey background could go...

Posted via CB10
    04-23-13 01:18 PM