I just got my playbook last week ($120 from Amazon), and I want to build my app collection a bit. What applcations do you use, particularly tools such as note taking?

Thanks.
    04-20-13 02:01 PM
    I use the Remote Desktop App "RDP" to work from home, I use "Nuetron MP" to play music from my library of over 3000 songs, I use "Bed-Buzz" for my daily alarm while my PB is docked next to my bed, I side loaded "Amazon Kindle" to read books, I use "Magellan Compass" for turn by turn direction when travelling. "CrackBerry Forums" app to see what's going on in the CrackBerry community. those are the apps I use almost daily. other native apps I use that came preloaded on the PB are "Docs To Go" for preparing my bible class lesson and I use the video camera to take stunning HD video of family and church events. I use the web browser to check out CrackBerry.com and to watch the Yankees on MLB.TV

can't wait for BB10 to be available, hopefully more apps that would intriuge me I would get.
    04-20-13 03:10 PM
    Files&Folders is a terrific file manager. Ghost Commander is an adroid port in appworld, also a good file manager with some other great talents. Kalemsoft can play a variety of video formats not natively supported as well as support some network/dnla functions.
    04-20-13 03:46 PM
    Evernote and Overdrive Media Console get thumbs up from me. Honourable mentions to the stock weather app, ghost commander, and the BlackBerry podcasts app.
    04-20-13 03:53 PM
    Calculator is very handy with it's tape of all calculations. I also like the word and adobe app(for PDF's). Musicgrid and the blob chorus are also fun.
    04-20-13 10:57 PM
    I have several favorites but a few of my most used are:
    - e-Mmanuel+ Best Bible app I've ever used
    - Print and Send-To-PC
    - Conqu
    - BatteryGuru
    - Presenters Edge
    - TopoSports-HD great topo map app
    - ThumbTone
    04-20-13 11:46 PM
    These are my favourite apps: Playbook App Circus
    rossjackson01 and Rad_Book like this.
    04-21-13 01:01 AM
    You have two quite different flavors for notetaking: typed notes (more apps available, searchable notes...) and handwritten notes (require stylus, generally faster, not searchable).
    Among the typed ones some already were mentioned above, I personally use Groovy Notes, that scales reasonably well (doesn't slow with 100s notes) and exports/imports very well (to/from ascii, to pdf, also handles attached drawings and photos...).
    Among the handwritten-handling you have almost no serious app on the PB (some drawing tools allow you to scrap some words but IMHO are near useless for actually storing even a single page); OTOH you have two sideloadable apps, from Android origin: Freenote+ and Handrite (search these words on this forum). One is reasonably simple and the other extremely ambitious (handling almost everything else, drawing, typing etc. to maybe the expense of a more complex interface). Sideloading an app isn't perfect, all the more than one of them is a paying one, and it leave you forever with the need of waiting Android startup every time, and the occasional (/regular) android crashes. But I must recognize the way they handle handwriting central screen zone allowing you to write large words even without stylus that are automatically scaled down and added to the current line of text above, for instance) is quite impressive and probably everyday-workable.
    I know there is a third kind of app, that'll recognize handwriting and turn it into actual ASCII text, but that one only exists on iPad for now.
    04-21-13 03:57 AM
    Viewranger for mapping, Kindle, Overdrive MP for ebooks and audiobooks from library, luko LAN remote control, mail and calendar now i have moved from gmail to outlook.com.
    04-21-13 02:29 PM
    I use the Remote Desktop App "RDP" to work from home, I use "Nuetron MP" to play music from my library of over 3000 songs, I use "Bed-Buzz" for my daily alarm while my PB is docked next to my bed, I side loaded "Amazon Kindle" to read books, I use "Magellan Compass" for turn by turn direction when travelling. "CrackBerry Forums" app to see what's going on in the CrackBerry community. those are the apps I use almost daily. other native apps I use that came preloaded on the PB are "Docs To Go" for preparing my bible class lesson and I use the video camera to take stunning HD video of family and church events. I use the web browser to check out CrackBerry.com and to watch the Yankees on MLB.TV

can't wait for BB10 to be available, hopefully more apps that would intriuge me I would get.
    did you have to sideload MLB.TV to get it on your playbook?
    04-21-13 04:04 PM
    I use my PlayBook for work in the HVAC trade, so I use the browser and email the most, followed by Billable Hours, Simply Note, and RepliGo Reader.
    04-21-13 06:52 PM
    My absolute favourite is CONQU. I use it multiple times daily for my business. Very flexible for any form of Project Management
    04-21-13 07:12 PM
    Well, aside from the CrackBerry App, which by default is my #1 used app, the second most-used is Today's Alarm Clock, which (as I've flogged before) not only plays any stream at bedtime with a sleep timer, awake at various times throughout the week with an unlimited number of alarms, shows weather, local traffic, sports schedules and scores and stocks..all fully configurable. I was so impressed with it, I bought a second PlayBook and charge cradle so that I could replace my old-style conventional clock-radio with a PlayBook (although truth be told I just use the same PlayBook I use during the day). As it runs all night, that could be the #1 app to run on my PlayBook.

However, the application which runs all the time is Battery Guru. So by that measure, it takes the top spot.
    04-21-13 09:40 PM
    My favorites

Evernote
    Files & folders
    PDF reader
    Read it now (for articles you save in pocket)
    Book reader
    Any.do
    Vault
    04-21-13 11:05 PM
    My favorites are Kobo, Evernote, Epix, Asphalt 6, Slacker Radio, Fantasy Island, Uno, Docs To Go, and I know I'm forgetting one but I haven't used it as much since getting my Zed!

Posted via CB10
    04-21-13 11:13 PM
    My favorites are:
    Zinio for reading magazines
    Box to have access to all my files
    Files & Folders
    Evernote (sideloaded version is much better than the native one)
    Freenote
    Fantasy Islands
    Majesty
    04-22-13 07:46 AM
    Hi all,
    I am a new playbook user

Apps installed:
    -Dropbox (slideload), important to me as I can read lecture notes and other word/pdf/ppt files from my pc easily
    - Pdf reader, a very very very good pdf reader, remember your last page, awesome!
    - Ghost commander, your files are organized nicely and neatly

that's all I got now

besides, I am looking for a decent music player for playbook, anyone gets any suggestions? Either free or pay are alright, thank you very much
    04-22-13 10:32 AM
    Hi all,
    I am a new playbook user

Apps installed:
    -Dropbox (slideload), important to me as I can read lecture notes and other word/pdf/ppt files from my pc easily
    - Pdf reader, a very very very good pdf reader, remember your last page, awesome!
    - Ghost commander, your files are organized nicely and neatly

that's all I got now

besides, I am looking for a decent music player for playbook, anyone gets any suggestions? Either free or pay are alright, thank you very much
    Welcome.

Think-4-u music is seems pretty nice. But there are others both simpler and complex. Then some find the built-in one more than acceptable other than its playlist limitations.
    04-22-13 10:45 AM
    Stereotube is great for making playlists (great for watching classical music being performed, my daughter is in an orchestra...), What's up if you like stargazing, (prove to yourself that the GPS function really works), Harmony - a weird and addictive drawing app (free), Flickr Explore if you just want to view a slide show of great photos from Flickr, Word Hero and Word ZigZag if you like word games, Run In Crowd - a silly free jumping game .......these are a few of my current favourites. Battery Guru too, as I've had a couple of charging problems...

Does anyone here use Groovy Notes? I've dithered about buying it and wondered if it was any good...
    04-22-13 06:12 PM
    Groovy Notes is good for long notes with pictures, scribbles and voice notes attached. I use it as a diary and for continuously tracking a particular project or topic. It also exports to PDF so it's good for sharing stuff. I usually type in portrait mode with word prediction turned on so I can type almost as fast as on a real keyboard. Do be warned that the app's interface is a bit slow.

For short notes e.g. shopping lists, quick to-do lists, I'm using my own app ported from Symbian. BAR file is here, download and sideload: http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...app-pb-798958/

For scribbling with a capacitive stylus, I use FreeNote+. It's an Android app that you have to sideload. I like the handwriting mode where it shrinks down scribbles to fit on a line. It's a bit quirky running under the Android player unless you have the Playbook in Showcase mode, otherwise it keeps resetting the input mode if you switch to another app.
    Last edited by blueberrymerry; 04-23-13 at 04:47 AM.
    04-23-13 12:05 AM
    My favorites are:
    Zinio for reading magazines
    Box to have access to all my files
    Files & Folders
    Evernote (sideloaded version is much better than the native one)
    Freenote
    Fantasy Islands
    Majesty
    04-23-13 08:27 PM
    Hmm... That's a tough one. Don't know if it's due to lack of good apps or too many of them

I rarely ever do note taking on the playbook, but here are my favorite;
    - Groovy Notes (paid)
    Recommend greatly if you can spare the $4.99
    BlackBerry World - Groovy Notes for BlackBerry PlayBook

- Do (free)
    I'd count it as a cross between a note taking app and a to do app. Still great tho'! Simplistic and easy to use
    BlackBerry World - Do

Personal favorites though?
    Hmm... I'll go with Nobex Radio. Combine it with FlipClock and you get a perfect clock on your night stand
    BlackBerry World - Nobex Radio for BlackBerry PlayBook
    BlackBerry World - FlipClock

Edit; Typos and corrections
    Last edited by gabrielingimars; 04-24-13 at 06:25 PM.
    04-24-13 06:05 PM
    Groovy Notes for most note taking.

Android Evernote for todo lists and reminders, the playbook version is ancient and lacks a lot of useful formatting such as check boxes.

Neutron MP for music.

Android Kindle for reading.

Stock browser and email client are good enough for my needs.
    04-25-13 09:12 AM
    My favs are:
    Splashtop (to remote control my pc)
    Aldiko and Moon+ Reader (to read my ebooks)
    Mango (to read my manga)
    Animania (to stream my animes)
    Showbox (to stream movies and tv show episodes)
    Air Display (to turn my playbook into a secondary monitor)
    Whatsapp
    imo and im+ pro (to log into my gtalk, skype and steam accounts)
    Tubemate (to download youtube vids)
    Flipboard
    and my fav games so far:
    Snuggle Truck
    Plants vs Zombies
    Cut the Rope
    Burn the City
    Probe the Humans
    Chimpact
    Move the Box
    Puzzle Sphere
    Last edited by Christine Haughton; 11-28-13 at 12:45 PM.
    11-25-13 06:32 PM
    My favs are:
    Splashtop (to remote control my pc)
    Aldiko and Moon+ Reader (to read my ebooks)
    Mango (to read my manga)
    Animani (to stream my animes)
    Showbox (to stream movies and tv show episodes)
    Air Display (to turn my playbook into a secondary monitor)
    Whatsapp
    imo and im+ pro (to log into my gtalk, skype and steam accounts)
    Tubemate (to download youtube vids)
    Flipboard
    and my fav games so far:
    Snuggle Truck
    Plants vs Zombies
    Cut the Rope
    Burn the City
    Probe the Humans
    Chimpact
    Move the Box
    Puzzle Sphere
    You should look at side loading Phone My PC. A much better app, and a far less resource hog for both PB and your PC.

c
    11-25-13 07:14 PM
29 12