So, err, if BlackBerry released a 5 inch device, would you buy it?

Years ago, people would say, "Bigger is better". But, I'm sure you've noticed in America they've gone (I live in Atlanta, but, I'm from England) from SUV's to Ford Focus' and the likes.

Is bigger better? Go...

Blog post is here.
    04-16-13 02:49 PM
    So, err, if BlackBerry released a 5 inch device, would you buy it?

Years ago, people would say, "Bigger is better". But, I'm sure you've noticed in America they've gone (I live in Atlanta, but, I'm from England) from SUV's to Ford Focus' and the likes.

Is bigger better? Go...

Blog post is here.
    LOADED question! LMAO!
    If we are talking about phablets only, then maybe, depending on user needs.
    04-16-13 03:03 PM
    Yes I have a Note 2. Great dor looking at things too large for my 9800 or 9860. Videos, newspapers etc.
    04-17-13 07:30 PM
    I don't know about 5"M but I'd consider a bigger touch screen. I have big hands and my Z10 feels small sometimes when I'm typing.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 08:26 PM
    I do not consider a 5" screen a phablet. There are many who like larger screens on their phones. I do wish that Blackberry would concentrate on the Z10 and Q10 as there is still much to do to them!
    Fnen90 likes this.
    04-18-13 05:57 AM
    I prefer the rumored aristo size 4.65' since Im in the market for a nexus7 (upcoming ver.) I don't see a need to have a big 5' phone and a 7' tablet......

....but you never know...
    04-18-13 01:39 PM
    I do not consider a 5" screen a phablet. There are many who like larger screens on their phones. I do wish that Blackberry would concentrate on the Z10 and Q10 as there is still much to do to them!
    I think Blackberry can walk and chew gum at the same time. They need a diverse set of products to fill those retail shelves. Having only 2 models will limit how well they are displayed next to Android, iPhone and Windows phones.

I think the 5" phones are helladumb. I mean we are starting to get back to the Motorola Brick days when you think about it. My cousin's husband has one of those 5" phones and when he holds it to his face to take a call it looks like he is ducking for cover. LOL

5" phone definitely requires a holster which is something else I abhor.
    IgotsThis likes this.
    04-18-13 03:12 PM
    I hate phablets. When I want to use a phone it needs to be one hand useable. Phablets aren't and they drive me nuts. I have a tablet, and it's awesome. I have a phone, and it's awesome at its thing too. I feel like phablets never fully function ideally as either. I'd rather have a fully integrated tablet and phone duo than a phablet.

Z10 for president
    tg1 and Bobcat665 like this.
    04-21-13 12:37 AM
    If it's a tablet... or a phablet... or whatever new name BB will call their flagship with the "True" BlackBerry 10 experience then okkkay.

Posted via CB10
    tg1 likes this.
    04-21-13 12:47 AM
    ... I have bug hands...
    Posted via CB10
    Must make typing difficult. And the teasing in school must have been awful!
    ;-) Sorry, couldn't resist.

Posted via CB10
    Geeoff likes this.
    04-21-13 12:50 AM
    I hate phablets. When I want to use a phone it needs to be one hand useable. Phablets aren't and they drive me nuts. I have a tablet, and it's awesome. I have a phone, and it's awesome at its thing too. I feel like phablets never fully function ideally as either. I'd rather have a fully integrated tablet and phone duo than a phablet.

Z10 for president
    Totally agree with him on this and one of the reasons why I liked the BlackBerry combo of the "Bridged" PlayBook and originally Torch now Z10. They work well together. Would like to see some more compatibility with the Z10, but I'm happy.

Posted by my awesome Z10
    04-21-13 12:57 AM
    Well, to each his own but if the PB was able to make calls, it would be perfect for me. Good size screen for viewing and for calls, I would use voice activation and a headset so I wouldn't need to hold a monstrosity to my ear. The best of both worlds from my point of view. A 5 " phone is just in no mans land as far as I am concerned. My two cents.
    04-21-13 01:03 AM
    I'm getting a PlayBook as soon as it's OS update comes in, be it a BlackBerry 10 update or not. I've just heard it's Z10 compatibility sucks so I expect the update to fix that.

Z10 for president
    04-21-13 01:04 AM
    I find the connectivity excellent. I use my Playbook with Blue box app for Dropbox connected to my Z10 all the time in meetings to pull up docs, etc all the time. I do data collection on my PB and upload through Blue box through my Z10 all the time. Works like a charm.

Posted by my awesome Z10
    04-21-13 01:39 AM
    If you look at the sales of the Samsung note series you will agree that it's a great market for BlackBerry to compete in once they've established a good reputation for the BlackBerry 10 operating system.

Right now I feel like the note is probably the only worthy option in that sector. My brother has one and he loves it. Refuses to go back to BlackBerry because he has become accustomed to that screen real estate.

BlackBerry could easily win users like him back with what I feel is a better operating system and knowing BlackBerry the hardware will be pretty spectacular as well.

Posted via CB10
    Geeoff likes this.
    04-21-13 05:24 PM
    The Galaxy Note series of devices from Samsung shows that there is a large market for people who want larger devices. Personally, I like the idea of a Phablet because with a larger device comes a larger stock battery. Before my iPhone, I was notorious for buying extended batteries for all my devices. My device is a workhorse, I use it for work and personal, send messages all day, social all day and everything else. I don't like to wait for a PC to turn on and I can't justify buying a $500 tablet just to browse the web. So I want one device that does it all:

To me, that is a Phablet.

I'm hoping though, that down the line, BlackBerry releases a QWERTY Phablet, they can be so unique in the space and own a piece of it.
    04-22-13 08:52 PM
    5" is not a phablet.
    04-23-13 06:56 AM
    5" is not a phablet.
    Agree 100% with above.

Next time you go to a cellphone store, Hold a 5" Sony Xperia Z/ZL and put it next to a Z10. You will see that 5" is a perfect size without being "too big", and the extra screen real estate is welcome. And next to a Z10, the Sony isn't much bigger.

If BB comes out with a 5", I will definitely be upgrading from my Z10.

I love my Z10 so much that I barely use my Playbook anymore. having extra screen realestate at 5" would be a perfect compromise for me to fully ditch my PB.
    04-23-13 07:18 AM
    This picture made me realize how small the iphone 4s is.
    It made me LOL.

Yeah, I think I'll stick to my 4.xx screen. I've got pretty small/regular sized hands anyways. Wouldn't want to carry a bigger brick with me.

5 inch device-verizon-blackberry-z10-590x442.jpg
    ADRENALIN101 likes this.
    04-23-13 10:49 AM
    Agree 100% with above.

Next time you go to a cellphone store, Hold a 5" Sony Xperia Z/ZL and put it next to a Z10. You will see that 5" is a perfect size without being "too big", and the extra screen real estate is welcome. And next to a Z10, the Sony isn't much bigger.

If BB comes out with a 5", I will definitely be upgrading from my Z10.
    Actually, the surveys that cover the different market segments even drop as low as 4.8" as the threshold they use before describing a phone as a phablet, personally I think the name itself is horrible at any size, but would say the term seems to fit fine for anything 5" and above.

Also, as far as 5" being the perfect size, that is complete rubbish because there simply isn't one single perfect size just what suits a particular person.
    tg1 and Bobcat665 like this.
    04-23-13 10:56 AM
    5 sounds small to be a Phablet for me too. That just sounds like a big phone.

Z10 for president
    04-23-13 01:51 PM
    So technically the size difference between the Z10 and the new phone (I call it aristo) should be like the size the iPhone 4s and the Z10
    04-24-13 08:07 PM
    So technically the size difference between the Z10 and the new phone (I call it aristo) should be like the size the iPhone 4s and the Z10
    NO not really right now I just put my Z next to a HTC one.The shell makes it look bigger than it should be but thats deception.What you need to really measure is the screen when you measure the screens its not much bigger.An inch taller and half a inch wider by my eyes.

More like lumia 820 next to 920 imo. I dont think they will go past htc one size .Htc obviously got there screen where BB did.Question will be how BB will implement the camera.htc stuck it where we put our antennas.
    04-26-13 10:22 AM
    N
    More like lumia 820 next to 920 imo. I dont think they will go past htc one size .Htc obviously got there screen where BB did.Question will be how BB will implement the camera.htc stuck it where we put our antennas.
    Htc put the camera at the bottom of the device?
    04-27-13 04:48 AM
    Well, to each his own but if the PB was able to make calls, it would be perfect for me. Good size screen for viewing and for calls, I would use voice activation and a headset so I wouldn't need to hold a monstrosity to my ear. The best of both worlds from my point of view. A 5 " phone is just in no mans land as far as I am concerned. My two cents.
    I see your point.
    04-30-13 05:10 PM
32 12