Could this be a solution to keep Legacy lovers happy? If it can run a virtual Android basically, why not a BBOS7 so we could keep our purchased apps and our beloved BIS ?
    04-14-13 06:24 PM
    Could this be a solution to keep Legacy lovers happy? If it can run a virtual Android basically, why not a BBOS7 so we could keep our purchased apps and our beloved BIS ?
    The answer is yes. This was planned for the Playbook. It was eventually dropped, presumably because of limited internal development resources. Its likely better for them the to get background process API to developers so apps can be run as they did on BBOS apposed to creating an emulator/run time environment or virtual BBOS.
    04-14-13 06:31 PM
    I can still see BIS being a problem. Its still going to have to communicate with QNX at some level, and without knowing the specifics of why BB10 won't work with the NOC, I can only speculate. It could be doable, but it would be a lot of work for BB. I think it would be easier for them to just carry on the legacy line of BBs for a while.
    04-14-13 06:38 PM
    I don't know why they don't offer BIS to customers as an added fee if they want it.

If it was a few extra bucks on my phone bill I'd consider it.
    04-14-13 07:42 PM
    I can still see BIS being a problem. Its still going to have to communicate with QNX at some level, and without knowing the specifics of why BB10 won't work with the NOC, I can only speculate. It could be doable, but it would be a lot of work for BB. I think it would be easier for them to just carry on the legacy line of BBs for a while.
    You have a link or some information to back up that claim?
    04-14-13 07:43 PM
    It actually did to an extent for the playbook, all of the bridge apps (mail, text, bbm) were running in a BBOS environment. There was a CrackBerry article on this if you want to do some searching (or maybe it was a podcast).
    04-14-13 07:51 PM