Hey all,

I'm looking for a few ideas, be it with or without apps, to use a PB at home as an IP Camera so that I can access it remotely from another PB or the internet.

Anyone try this yet?

I thought about videochat between them, but someone has to be home to accept the video call...looking for an option to simply access it when it's unattended.

Thanks in advance.
    04-11-13 05:29 PM
    If you don't find anything, ping me.

As long as you don't mind leaving an app running we can do it.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 07:16 PM
    This is an interesting idea. I'd love to know what you find

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 07:21 PM
    Me too...subscribing to follow the development of this.
    04-11-13 07:40 PM
    So far I've tried a few different things...beginning with videochat. This works, but requires the PB being called to be manually answered.

I also tried Faceflow between my Z10 and a playbook. Again, this works as well, but requires a manual call acceptance.

I don't mind having an app open all the time on the home PB, because I'm already using it as a media streaming device with my
    55" tv. It would be easy to position it into a spot where it could see the whole room.

If any devs are following this thread, please try and develop an app for this, and I'll be the first to try it out and review it.
    04-11-13 09:11 PM
    Hm.

Are you wanting PB/z10 to PB/z10?

I'd just need 30 mins for that.

But if you want a web link in html5 for PB viewing (at a decent frame rate) would take longer.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 09:22 PM
    Hm.

Are you wanting PB/z10 to PB/z10?

I'd just need 30 mins for that.

But if you want a web link in html5 for PB viewing (at a decent frame rate) would take longer.

Posted via CB10
    Initially, I'd be happy with PB/PB, but once I started using my Z10 more, I would LOVE to be able to go Z10/PB.

If it's something that can be made to work with the native videochat of the PB and the Z10, I think that would be ideal. All that's
    really needed is an "auto-answer" feature.

Am I on the right track?
    04-11-13 09:28 PM
    There are browser based webcam broadcasting sites that the Playbook should work on. I know of one flash based site that the PB is capable of broadcasting on through its browser, but considering that this is a family oriented forum, I won't link to it here. Nevertheless, there must be similar sites that are more family friendly that can be found with a little effort.
    04-11-13 09:33 PM
    Nah they won't let me access that.

I'd have to add a video instance and microphone instance, and stream them over the Internet to your second device. Setup some basic encryption.

It's not too difficult. Just needs time!

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 09:33 PM
    Nah they won't let me access that.

I'd have to add a video instance and microphone instance, and stream them over the Internet to your second device. Setup some basic encryption.

It's not too difficult. Just needs time!

Posted via CB10
    Ok, that sounds good. I would prefer not use a 3rd party site, but would prefer a secure direct connection via Internet.

If you're up the task to develop something, you have an official guinea pig. Lol.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 09:38 PM
    There are browser based webcam broadcasting sites that the Playbook should work on. I know of one flash based site that the PB is capable of broadcasting on through its browser, but considering that this is a family oriented forum, I won't link to it here. Nevertheless, there must be similar sites that are more family friendly that can be found with a little effort.
    Good idea, but those sites scare me...lol.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 09:39 PM
    Hmm how many fps is a deal breaker? Thinking of lazy ways to do it

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 09:44 PM
    Ok, so maybe I'm off base here but this is another idea...

Get Splashtop and use your home computer's web cam and application to broadcast the stream out. Use the PlayBook as the viewer...

It should work no?
    KermEd likes this.
    04-11-13 09:44 PM
    Use team viewer app as you think will allow you to monitor the playbook from anywhere you have a connection.

Make sure pb is connected to power source all ways so no battery drain occurs.

Use video chat to record?
    04-11-13 09:50 PM
    I already have splashtop, but I want to use a pb as the source video.

As for fps.....as long as the motion doesn't appear too slow, I can probably live with 20-25 fps. That would give me something similar to a middle of the road cctv feed.

Posted via CB10
    david dunne likes this.
    04-11-13 09:51 PM
    Subscribed to the development of this

Posted with my AT&T BlackBerry Z10
    david dunne likes this.
    04-11-13 11:59 PM
    What about "Private Eye PRO for BB PB"? I don't know the fps available.
    04-12-13 04:58 AM
    Doesn't the Z10 have screen share? Couldn't an app be developed to use the Z10 to remote access the PlayBooks video chat?
    04-12-13 09:00 AM
    What about "Private Eye PRO for BB PB"? I don't know the fps available.
    Yes, I have tried it before, and it works "ok". I've re-installed it, as it's been a while, and here's my take:
    So far, this is the "best" option I have come across.

What I like:

- The fps is not bad...as I am looking to use it as a security camera inside the house, I can live with the 3-5 second refresh rate. This is with the free version, so I don't know about the Pro version.
    - Once the app is running, it generates a PID that is sent to your email address...you can open it from any browser, whether from another PB, or the Z10.
    - Clarity is pretty decent, even on the PB. I've worked with cctv cameras that don't even have that resolution. The resolution is "acceptable".
    - after closing the app and re-opening it, I am given the same PID, so I don't have to email myself a new link.
    - I can view the PB cam either through wifi, or my cell network on my Z10

All in all, the pros are in line with what I can live with.

What I don't like:

- Security. Or lack thereof. The app streams through BeTrust's server...how secure are my images? Can they be intercepted so that anyone can see what's in my place? I just don't know the answer. Granted, they wouldn't have an address, but you never know.
    - Access to the front camera is limited to the Pro version. While not really a huge issue, it would be nice to have access to the front camera with the free version. If the resolution and refresh rate are better on the Pro version, I would consider the $10 to purchase it.
    - What happens if the app stops working and has to be restarted? What if I'm out of town and there's no one around to restart the app? This is a big negative for me.
    - When minimized, and then maximized again, the camera says it's on, but it isn't. I have to close the app and restart it.

So, bottom line...in the absence of a "better" app, this method will have to do in the meantime.

What I feel would improve this app (or a new one...hint, hint...):

- Instead of having to stream through another server, give me a way to view it on a PC in my local network, and then I can use Splashtop or RDC to access my PC. This would make it more secure, in my opinion.
    - Give me a way to be able to see my PB screen through my network, so that if I needed to restart the app manually from a remote location, I could do so.

The benefits of such an app, as I see it, ranges from using a PB as a simple baby monitor to a home security camera. It could also be used to begin recording based on movement, and save a backup to the home server, or remote cloud. I've worked extensively with cctv systems, and designed a camera tracking program in my BCIT days in the late 80's. This kind of functionality with the PB would rock!!!

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but this is my latest attempt.

Cheers.
    04-12-13 05:02 PM
    Doesn't the Z10 have screen share? Couldn't an app be developed to use the Z10 to remote access the PlayBooks video chat?
    This would be ideal, in my opinion, but isn't the screenshare a "snapshot"? I haven't used that feature on the Z10.

Access to the PB videochat would be THE way to go, in my opinion, as it already uses a baked-in feature. The whole problem is having an "auto-answer" or "auto-accept" option on the PB's videochat.
    04-12-13 05:04 PM
    Ok cool

It sounds like the current free option is just good enough.

I'll put this on the in the future list. Hopefully the dev updates it and everyone's happy.

But chances of me doing better on a first release isn't great so ill stay silent for now. But I'll come back to this topic later!

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 07:26 PM
    Who do I download the app
    07-22-13 08:32 PM