Okay I know I might get flamed, I'm okay with that... I just really would like to see BBRY succeed and I think the mobile platform space needs a strong 3rd and 4th competitor to break up this Apple and Google duopoly! BBM is a great feature for communication for all BBRY users but with the dwindling market share (comparatively) it is becoming less and less functionally useful. I make this assertion based on the assumption that at some point or another most Android and Apple users were at some point BBRY users themselves or at least familiar with BBM by association. BBRY has a difficult road ahead of changing consumers mind share about the whether or not to invest in something most don't believe is viable or able to succeed. If they were to release BBM into these markets it would only strengthen the usefulness of BBM for its core users, us, and install mind share for those who may be on another platform that BBRY is not only still here but provides useful software and native hardware that is worth looking at. The strategy I believe would be to release a fully functioning BBM for those platforms but leave out some of the more intriguing features to draw consumers into a device that can take full advantage of its functionality, things like voice calling or screen sharing. I just believe BBRY needs to reconnect with consumers (read not business professionals as Apple and Android are offering support in these areas as well now) and the longer they wait to hit a home run connection the less appealing they become. Also as market share dwindles the leverage they get from something like BBM diminishes. They stand to lose nothing by doing this and I believe that the potential for the customers they gain would also go a ways in bringing more developers to the table for BB10! Just looking for thoughts and opinions on the matter and hoping for the success of BBRY... I love my Z10 and just wish for the best BBRY...
    04-11-13 01:32 PM
    In a word no, simple as that.
    SDTRMG likes this.
    04-11-13 01:35 PM
    Sorry I will say I have ONLY read the subject. Yet my answer is still a resounding no...

Posted via Navi's CB10
    bintheredundat and Essoo like this.
    04-11-13 01:41 PM
    There are plenty of custom messaging apps available on iOS and Android. What would be the value in marketing BBM to an audience already flooded with messaging options? I don't think its a terrible idea. I just don't think it's worth the investment.
    04-11-13 01:46 PM
    No its called bbm for a reason. And if bbm is the only reason they were ever past BlackBerry users extending bbm to them isn't going to bring them back its only going to give them what they liked on another platform

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 01:48 PM
    yes they should...make some money off their only service that actually is worth paying for.
    04-11-13 01:50 PM
    No. Why would they out BBM ( BLACKBERRY Messenger) on other platforms. Is Apple going to put iMessenger on other platforms as well?

BBM is for Blackberry only. Apple iMessanger is Apple only. That is how it will be. Saying Apple because they only have a messenger that people use other then BBM that is from the manufacturer.
    04-11-13 01:51 PM
    I think it would be a great idea to port a light version to the other platforms. BBM really is an excellent service. Have it be pay to use

Posted via my sexy Zee10
    johnnyuk likes this.
    04-11-13 01:52 PM
    yes they should...make some money off their only service that actually is worth paying for.
    The downside with BBM on another device etc. is BlackBerry can't offer the same level of security or service, period.

I bet you NEVER see iMessage on any other device than an iOS.

Posted via Navi's CB10
    Spawn12 likes this.
    04-11-13 01:53 PM
    The only time you will see bbm on a different platform will be if/when bb10 gets licensed to a 3rd party.

Example: there are rumors that BlackBerry might license bb10 to Lenovo and/or Sony. In that scenario you might see a Sony device with BB10 and BBM.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 01:57 PM
    If Blackberry were going to license anything it would probably be a version of QNX. A single app probably wouldn't be worth it.
    04-11-13 02:01 PM
    A huge and resounding "No!"

If you want iMesaage, iTunes, Sri, or any other software Apple develops,you have to buy an iPhone. There's no chance that this is going to change in the near future.

Similarly, if you want BBM, you have to buy a BlackBerry. Plain and simple. That's how it should be. Why should BlackBerry users always have to contemplate changing platforms for the apps they want all the time, when the competitors enjoy every piece of mobile software available?

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 02:03 PM
    I for one would like to see BBM on other platforms as I'd much rather text everyone in another country that I know in BBM than WhatsApp.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    jdhooghe likes this.
    04-11-13 02:07 PM
    NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
    04-11-13 02:16 PM
    No. Why would they out BBM ( BLACKBERRY Messenger) on other platforms. Is Apple going to put iMessenger on other platforms as well?

BBM is for Blackberry only. Apple iMessanger is Apple only. That is how it will be. Saying Apple because they only have a messenger that people use other then BBM that is from the manufacturer.
    Comparing Apple and BlackBerry isn't relevant any longer. Apple wouldn't license out imessage because it doesn't have a need to. It's market presence and community is thriving. BlackBerry on the other hand needs market / mind share. I don't disagree that having unique products helps drive customers to your product but I believe at this point BlackBerry could help itself by "Advertising" one of its great assets in its competitors markets. With the goal being to make people at least think about BlackBerry when it came time to lay down their hard earned cash...

Via Zed using CB10
    bobauckland likes this.
    04-11-13 02:16 PM
    No!

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 02:18 PM
    I for one would like to see BBM on other platforms as I'd much rather text everyone in another country that I know in BBM than WhatsApp.

LOL whatsapp is available on all the major devices now including BB10 so what difference does it make?? Ive yet to find someone who hasnt got whatsapp either on iphone, android or BB now. I have BBM to stay in touch with my BBM friends, i have whatsapp to stay in touch with everyone that doesnt have a BB...best of both worlds.

No need for BBM to go cross platform, doesnt make any sense for Blackberry to do that just like it doesnt make sense for apple to go cross platform with imessage.
    04-11-13 02:19 PM
    LOL whatsapp is available on all the major devices now including BB10 so what difference does it make?? Ive yet to find someone who hasnt got whatsapp either on iphone, android or BB now. I have BBM to stay in touch with my BBM friends, i have whatsapp to stay in touch with everyone that doesnt have a BB...best of both worlds.

No need for BBM to go cross platform, doesnt make any sense for Blackberry to do that just like it doesnt make sense for apple to go cross platform with imessage.
    BBM is better. That's what difference it makes.

04-11-13 02:20 PM
    I have always felt, for years, that RIM's main chance of staying relevant to all is if BBM is made available to all platforms. IMHO it is the best instant messenger out there. As it is I have to have Whatsapp as I have to keep in touch with the 'majority'.
    04-11-13 02:23 PM
    From what I heard I message is crap. It would be pretty funny to see everybody with an iPhone talk to each other with BlackBerry Messenger.

Posted via CB10
    j1m0h likes this.
    04-11-13 02:24 PM
    From what I heard I message is crap. It would be pretty funny to see everybody with an iPhone talk to each other with BlackBerry Messenger.

Posted via CB10
    Was it yesterday or 2 days ago where iMessenger was done for almost half of the day. barely anyone went crazy. When BBM goes down, everyone starts complaining saying how BB is **** & such. iMessenger has had downtimes more then BBM has had. Also iMessenger used to be ONLY on WiFi until they started with 3G service.
    04-11-13 02:26 PM
    I think it would be a wise move to develop BBM for Android and the IOS platforms. That would be a huge thing for the business end of the smartphone market and would generate revenue on the licensing end.
    04-11-13 02:27 PM
    let's compare BlackBerry to Google in this case and not to Apple. Google had little to no mind share in the consumer market when Android dropped years ago. So what did they do??? They leveraged what they did best onto any and every platform they could. Google Talk, Gmail, maps, all of which were available to "Competitors" products... why??? to gain mind share, to drive people to consider their product when they had to make a choice! Android held even less of a market share when it dropped but people considered it because they had a reason to... BlackBerry can't force things into the market like Apple anymore, they don't have the presence, but I think they have some leverage left with BBM.

Via Zed using CB10
    04-11-13 02:28 PM
    Having the "best" messenger software doesn't ensure survival though.

Look at how ICQ got ***-thundered by a pathetic version of MSN at the turn of the millenium. Easily the best piece of messenger software at the time and it got beat out due to the "popularity" of MSN and advertising.

If iMessenger went to all platforms I can guarantee you that Apple would "spend" it's way into people's hearts, even though it is 1/10th what BBM is.

I would feel sick watching that happen, just as I felt in 2000-2002 watching ICQ die a sad an unheralded death to Microsoft.

-Chris-
    04-11-13 02:29 PM
    Was it yesterday or 2 days ago where iMessenger was done for almost half of the day. barely anyone went crazy. When BBM goes down, everyone starts complaining saying how BB is **** & such. iMessenger has had downtimes more then BBM has had. Also iMessenger used to be ONLY on WiFi until they started with 3G service.
    Difference being is that even if imessage went down for weeks on end, it wouldnt sto[p iphone users from getting their emails would it now??. Whereas when BBM went down, it just wasnt BBM...it was the whole damn thing that went down ie no emails as well as BBM could be received and thats why BB got such a slating for it.

Now with BB10, if BBM goes down...we still get our emails as its no longer connected to the BIS service or NOC servers...only BBM is as far as i know.
    04-11-13 02:29 PM
60 123