I found out if you use the adapter from a Samsung galaxy note 10.1 tablet to charge your z10. It acts as a boost charger. Charges the Z10 full in under an hour.

Posted via CB10
    peter9477 likes this.
    04-10-13 03:46 AM
    Well, the Z10 charger output is 750mA and the Samsung comes with 2A. I guess that should explain the result.
    04-10-13 04:29 AM
    you are only reducing the life span of that battery
    R Field, b_n_s and CDM76 like this.
    04-10-13 04:32 AM
    I thought I'd share with my fellow crackberry people. I have no clue on the 2A or 750mA stuff.

Posted via CB10
    punkd_mom likes this.
    04-10-13 04:33 AM
    Say whaaaaaat???

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 04:34 AM
    Nah I think the battery will be just fine, or maybe its down to luck.

I used the Playbook charger for my 9900 and that phone gives me one heck of a usage and is still going strong.
    I'm now using the Playbook charger for my Z10, and I get a full charge within about 2 hours, lasts me a good day and a bit with decent usage without worrying about locating the nearest charger around the house or at work.

Each to their own though.
    04-10-13 04:42 AM
    This won't affect the battery life at all, I also use my PlayBook charger to do a quickcharge. BlackBerry has previously announced that PB charger can be safely used to charge BB smartphones

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 04:47 AM
    BB also advertises their car charger as a "fast" charger, and it certainly charges my Z10 faster than my home charger does.

I don't think its harming the battery.
    anon5814103 likes this.
    04-10-13 05:25 AM
    I will have to try that going forward.
    04-10-13 05:41 AM
    Actually charging the battery faster affect life of battery, as it charges it heats up, heat is an enemy of batteries, phone is designed to dissipate a certain amount of heat. Charging faster increases amount of heat battery produces while charging however rate of dissipation doesn't change thus battery stays warmer longer which could potentially have an effect on the life of the battery

Posted via CB10
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    04-10-13 05:48 AM
    Charging rate is specified in something called "C". C is the ratio of the charger current to the mAh of the battery. The Z10 has an 1800 mAh battery and the OP's charger can output 2000 mA. 2000 / 1800 = 1.11. So the "C" when using that charger is 1.11. This type of battery can wear out faster if you exceed 1C. Given that it only slightly exceeds 1C, it is likely the life reduction will be negligible. That is, in a well controlled experiment, it could probably be measured. In real life use, probably not.
    04-10-13 06:17 AM
    Excellent justification. so, we can safely use playbook or note charger to charge Z10.
    04-10-13 07:13 AM
    I too have the charger from the Playbook. About an hour and I'm good to go. BlackBerry should sell the Z10 with the premium charger.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 07:33 AM
    Have charged with Playbook and normal z10 charger you get longer battery time with original charger proven got roughly 17.5 hours yesterday opposed to around 12 with Playbook

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 08:03 AM
    From the packaging the Z10 charger is actually 850mA
    Well, the Z10 charger output is 750mA and the Samsung comes with 2A. I guess that should explain the result.
    04-10-13 08:17 AM
    Charging rate is specified in something called "C". C is the ratio of the charger current to the mAh of the battery. The Z10 has an 1800 mAh battery and the OP's charger can output 2000 mA. 2000 / 1800 = 1.11. So the "C" when using that charger is 1.11. This type of battery can wear out faster if you exceed 1C. Given that it only slightly exceeds 1C, it is likely the life reduction will be negligible. That is, in a well controlled experiment, it could probably be measured. In real life use, probably not.
    Hurray for knowledgeable posts!

To the OP: the Z10 itself will restrict the charging current to a safe level, where the reduction in life from faster charging will at an acceptable level.

If it were going to really significantly damage the battery, the BlackBerry engineers would have set the charging current limit to a lower level. They had full control over this area when they designed it.
    04-10-13 08:26 AM
    I call BS on that. As and electrician, and rc hobbiest, energy study is one of my passions. Read HERE

Heat, yes does wear a battery out.

More battery education can be found HERE

It's negligible. If it was an issue that was of concern, more people would be using THESE and THESE, lol

The battery is a resistive load, unlike a capacitor. It will only take what it can- baring being force fed from a higher voltage. Meaning that if it is kept at the proper constant charging voltage, it will only draw the amount of required power (voltage and amperage). For example, the average north american house a light and our plug circuit is fused at 15 amps, you put a 100 watt light bulb in a socket (100W/120V=0.83 amps) , does it explode? no. The light bulb only takes what it needs.

The charger will burn out IF the battery requires more than it can deliver. Exceeding the 2.5 amp limit is however a bit much in my opinion.

Just as an electrical contractor I sell THESE- not one complaint, and I have installed cases of them in the past few years.

Besides if your charging with a protective case, you're holding in more heat
    Masahiro, triplekia and 3hb78ftg like this.
    04-10-13 08:53 AM
    I use the PB charger on my Z10 and sometimes the HP Touchpad charger which is even faster.
    04-10-13 09:06 AM
    I have found that actually plugging in the charger into a wall socket when charging the phone works very well!
    04-10-13 09:15 AM
    So the best way to charge is with protective case and battery door removed?

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 09:34 AM
    So the best way to charge is with protective case and battery door removed?
    Only if you do it while wearing a tinfoil hat. ;-)

(Translation: you'd have to be obsessed with eking out a few extra days of battery life over the likely several-year life of the battery if you actually did that.)
    04-10-13 09:39 AM
    I do the same and it works great.
    04-10-13 09:40 AM
    I do the same and it works great.
    Where did you get your tinfoil hat?
    04-10-13 10:21 AM
    Charging any Lithium, NiCad, Gel, or Lead-Acid battery faster than the nominal recommended charge rate will decrease the long term lifespan. The hastened chemical reaction for re-polarizing the chemical reaction in the battery creates more internal heat in the cells. This quickens the degrading of the internal surfaces inside the lining of the cells. The chemistry used in these batteries is fairly complex. The proper matching and design of battery charging circuits is also fairly complex even though the concept seems so simple. There is the aspect of monitoring temperature, voltage, and charge current rate, and then determining the proper charge rate to apply and properly control it.

Higher current rate also causes more internal heat in the management circuits for the battery. These are the circuits that are internal to the phone or device that do the battery management operation.

When a device manufacture offers a dedicated quick charge charger for their product, there has been design consideration for the total required specifications for the quick charge system. The management system would have been properly designed to handle the higher charge current. The battery design would be for handling the higher charge current.

When batteries are charged at greater rate than their rated charge current, any caused damage may not show for a while. Unless the over rated current is very excessive to cause damage at a faster rate. Each charge cycle contributes to some degradation of the internal surfaces.

The Z10 uses an 1800 ma battery. The nominal normal charge rate is actually 450 ma by industry standards for a normal slow charge. The Blackberry charger is in the range of 700 ma if I can remember right. This should account for a charge period of about 2. 6 hours. To reach saturation about another 20% of time should allow for this.

Dedicated chargers in combination with the battery management circuits are normally designed to float charge the battery once it is charged. The circuit senses the battery level, and goes in to a mode that adjusts the charge current to hold the minimum necessary current to maintain the battery level. When using a charger that is not designed to work with the system there is no guarantee proper maintenance current will be applied. This can create long term problems.

Normal Lithium batteries should have a lifespan of about 2.5 to 3.5 years with normal use. Most consumer batteries can handle about 350 to 400 full charge cycles before showing a noticeable performance decrease. There are some manufactures that have batteries that can take more than 600 charge cycles.

I worked in design of power supplies, and charging systems for industrial products. I was doing R&D for design of these types of systems.
    peter9477 and 3hb78ftg like this.
    04-10-13 11:11 AM
    Only if you do it while wearing a tinfoil hat. ;-)

(Translation: you'd have to be obsessed with eking out a few extra days of battery life over the likely several-year life of the battery if you actually did that.)
    I only charge my battery in sub-zero temperatures, and I must always use the same brand of tinfoil. If you live in a climate where there are no sub-zero temperatures, a walk-in freezer or liquid nitrogen would also suffice. This method has given me an extra 2 minutes, 17.9 seconds of battery life per day.
    peter9477 likes this.
    04-10-13 11:37 AM
45 12