Can anyone give an unbiased comparison based on speed, efficiency of getting things done and intuitiveness of the OS compared to the z10?

I have always used android and it's my first time with a BB and I'm thinking of switching to wp8 for the hardware. Are the animations overwhelming at times?
    04-09-13 08:28 PM
    WP8 is a smooth OS just like BB10.

List of WP8 Deficiencies
    No sound profiles (The same volume is used for music and SMS/ringtone sounds)
    No custom SMS notification sounds. BB can.
    Pitiful PDF support(You can only read)
    Microsoft moves at glacial speeds in updating
    Email attachments entail you uploading it to Skydrive and sending a link to the person
    Notifications such as facebook don't always go through
    Tiles updates are limited to once every 15 minutes
    Tiles don't always update
    XBox Music is laughable

List of WP8 Strengths
    UI is gorgeous and different
    Top notch Outlook support
    Gaining traction with apps

List of 920 deficiencies
    You will struggle to get a decent picture. Sometimes taking 10+ photos to get a mediocre one.
    You will not be able to get rid of the softness in the camera

List of 920 Strengths
    Top notch application support (HERE! Maps, Transit, Nokia Music which is awesome). Don't go with HTC, they have ZERO support
    Dolby Sound
    Great build quality if you don't get a lemon
    Low light photography

I will post more later
    Last edited by jdhooghe; 04-09-13 at 11:33 PM.
    misc9700 likes this.
    04-09-13 08:38 PM
    The 920 is what I came over from. I'll give my honest opinion on both.

920 pros

Size of screen, OS is responsive, camera supposedly takes good pics at night, Nokia has some pretty good exclusive apps for it, wireless charging, Microsoft app store isn't that bad, live tiles are ok when they work, radio connection meets the bell curve, free 20gb sky drive storage is nice to have, color choices are always a good thing, you can dork out on X box live games/achievments and the Microsoft voice command voice dosen't irritate.

920 Cons

Live tiles are totally hit or miss which was one of the reasons I dumped mine as it was the drawing factor for me , battery life is just below what I would expect from a upper tier device, live tiles revisited: the idea seemed great at first but after some time it feels gimmicky and tacky, OS doesn't play well with expandable mem cards = no expandable memory (32gig only), it's way too slick in the hand and when parlayed with the weight you feel as if the thing could slip from your hand at anytime, no notification center.....everything is separated and app switching is needed to see any email or text etc., you have to spam the 'back' icon in order to close apps/processes, and finally...its Microsoft...meaning they will throw major $ at it and force it to be successful or they'll just abandon it all together ( I was one who bought a windows phone a year ago with 7.5 mango).

Z10 pros

OS, app switching, notification peeking, BB Hub, supernatural mail and messaging speed, herculean radio ( I get data where no one else does) , true background multitasking, BBMessenger,rubber feeling battery door makes phone natural feeling and 'safe' to hold, media player has replaced my iPod, expandable memory, size and weight are very efficient, removable battery, scary fast browser with flash (watch YouTube)Z call quality is 9 of 10, and last and most importantly...... the shutter sound on the camera is an ethereal treat to the ears.

Z10 cons

Will BlackBerry stay behind this device long term?, BlackBerry world will have to get on their horse to stay competitive, voice command sounds as if you've irritated it by giving a command, no multiple alarms, no wireless charging, the big apps for the nextgen smartphone users (read young adults and teens) aren't available yet, and duplicate content issue with Google servers. Although the contact issue may not be BB's fault.

Either way you're leaving that clusterf*** of an OS for something more 'tame', congrats!

CB10 via Z10

EDIT: Totally forgot about the attachments issue. As the above poster pointed out, it's brutal. They've taken smartphone file handling and set it back a couple years.
    04-09-13 09:37 PM
    Wow i never knew all attachments are sent via skydrive . How wpuld ypu compare both os in terms of syncing with google services?

If i edit my contacts with bb10 it syncs everything by default right?

Posted via CB10
    04-09-13 11:15 PM
    In theory. I had the duplicate issue as did many others, but it seems like something on google's side.... haven't had an issue since 4 days though.

CB10 via Z10
    04-09-13 11:21 PM
    Wow i never knew all attachments are sent via skydrive . How wpuld ypu compare both os in terms of syncing with google services?

If i edit my contacts with bb10 it syncs everything by default right?

Posted via CB10
    When I switched to Windows Phone and Google pulled all their crap, I stopped using all of Google's services. I have an outlook email now. There are no apps on Windows Phone made by Google except a google search application. There is a Google Talk application called Metro Talk which is ok and there is a google voice third party client called GoVoice which is also good. There is a third party youtube app that is also very good called metrotube.

On Z10, you also don't have any native apps but you do have a google talk app made by BlackBerry which shows up in your Hub, can sideload google maps or download a third party Google Map client, there is a third party google reader client but seeing how they are discontinuing that soon, that is a non-issue. Plus you don't have to deal with Google's vendetta with Microsoft and the CEO of Google uses a BlackBerry too so take that as indicative of things to come.
    04-09-13 11:40 PM
    using a lumia 920 for personal and a z10 for work.

Both are good.

Z10 pros in my opinion.
    good size of phone - build quality is good except the plastic backing
    The hub is good, takes some getting used to though
    quick access to wifi, Bluetooth, etc. without having to go into an app
    speed of taking pictures - quick camera
    Ability to manually close apps you don't want open.

cons
    apps are icons in a boring grid layout
    some apps are slow to load ( if only ported over from Android, and not an actual BB app)
    pictures are grainier than other smartphone camera's
    when using a BES account even if your still logged into the phone it locks the email, forcing you to re-enter your password after a specified time.
    apps
    - lack of, but this will be there for a while

Lumia 920
    Pros
    build quality
    - doesn't feel like a cheap phone at all
    - have dropped it and held up perfectly
    Screen
    - clarity in direct sunlight
    - ability to use gloves on the screen as its cold in the morning and don't feel like freezing my fingers off.
    Camera
    - clarity of pictures (don't use a point and shoot any longer)
    - amount of light that it captures when the area is dark (the HTC one is looking like it'll be good at this also)
    Live tiles are nice for glance and go
    Email client (the only things that send as a link are documents that you have loaded on phone, everything else sends as a normal attachment)

Cons
    Camera
    - can be slower at taking pictures
    Apps
    - still some stuff that I would like to see appear (banking apps)
    Battery
    - can be spotty
    Task manager or ability to close from multitasking
    - doesn't exist yet

Happy using both (picked the Z10 over the Ativ S, as it just felt better holding it)
    04-17-13 02:05 PM
    Do the animations and ui get tiring or even overwhelming over time? I just can't bring myself to buy a windows phone because everything seems to be dizzying.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 08:15 PM
    Do the animations and ui get tiring or even overwhelming over time? I just can't bring myself to buy a windows phone because everything seems to be dizzying.

Posted via CB10
    Not at all. It's a damn shame that BlackBerry and Microsoft were so late to the party because I feel that they are by far the best two OS experiences out there right now.
    04-17-13 08:28 PM

Posted via CB10
    Not at all. However note that with WP8 you might not have to deal with the changing animations because live tiles rarely updated, at least for me.

This is my experience. It sounds like you need a more static feel though
    04-17-13 08:30 PM
    Love my 920. No doubt one very good device and just as good as my Z10

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 08:41 PM
    Good thread. Let's keep it going. Personally I'm not coming from a Lumia - but considering going to it. I've been using the Z10 for a week. The novelty has worn off. It's "cool" - but I can't do the basics. For example my contacts are a nightmare. Synching to Outlook sux. I have duplicates. Linked contacts that don't link, etc, etc.

Anybody here have Lumia and Outlook experience? How does the Lumia handle Calendar, Contacts, tasks? Preferably non-Exchange? I wor kat a small company. We use Outlook but e-mail is POP based.
    Thanks.
    04-17-13 08:42 PM
    I was considering a lumia 820 not 920 before getting a Z10 but since both have live tiles, in my relatively short time with the phone, I have to say the tiles are very refreshing to the eyes and I didn't think it was dizzying at all. Good for glance and go I think.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 08:45 PM
    Interesting. I find the animations very elegant but time consuming lol the hubs on the other hand are confusing to navigate, but then again I've never used one for a personal phone lol

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 08:51 PM
    Like I have been saying I have yet to see ONE perso NOT ONE .....NOT EVEN A SINGLE ONE WP8...NOT ONE. NOT EVEN ONE. Looking at NOK Earnings Release one can understand. They sold very little in NA. http://forums.windowscentral.com/gen...-released.html

I called it. all this time the microsoft paid worker coming here telling us WP8 is being sold like crazy//....LOL WP is finsihed. I have yet to see ONE WP......NOT ONE ....NOT EVEN ONE
    04-18-13 09:48 AM
    Good thread. Let's keep it going. Personally I'm not coming from a Lumia - but considering going to it. I've been using the Z10 for a week. The novelty has worn off. It's "cool" - but I can't do the basics. For example my contacts are a nightmare. Synching to Outlook sux. I have duplicates. Linked contacts that don't link, etc, etc.

Anybody here have Lumia and Outlook experience? How does the Lumia handle Calendar, Contacts, tasks? Preferably non-Exchange? I wor kat a small company. We use Outlook but e-mail is POP based.
    Thanks.
    I can tell you that outlook management is just superb. Everything just works man. The Lumia is the phone that I always come back to!! Try it and u guarantee that you'll love it.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 05:49 PM
    Might be worth waiting for 10.1 and see what changes it brings to the Z10
    04-18-13 06:09 PM
    Might be worth waiting for 10.1 and see what changes it brings to the Z10
    This as well!
    04-18-13 06:10 PM