I want this to be an information post.

Since the Z10 launched 2 months ago, there have been countless threads about BlackBerry dropping BIS.

If you are upset about the lack of BIS for either quick push and pull email, data compression or whatever else, please talk to your carriers.

It was the carriers months ago that asked BlackBerry to drop BIS because they were tired of paying BlackBerry for the BlackBerry brand.

So BlackBerry dropped BIS and lost a major source of revenue and the carriers got their way.

Some carriers used to charge an up front cost to the consumer to pay for BIS and other carriers built in the price of BIS into your cell bills. This isn't right because I don't have BIS anymore and Rogers is still charging me the same as they did before. They are making a lot of extra money.

So people need to stop whining about BlackBerry dropping BIS and hoping BlackBerry will add an option to have it in the future. They have no control over BIS anymore

Posted via my ZED 10 on CB10
    04-08-13 05:18 PM
    Here here. You absolutely right.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 05:22 PM
    +1

Posted with BlackBerry Z10
    04-08-13 05:25 PM
    They dropped it because it was an additional cost to either carriers or consumers. And it was affecting sales.
    04-08-13 05:28 PM
    Wasn't there also an issue (or rumour anyway) of not getting it to work properly with QNX?

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 05:29 PM
    It will be phased out because they could not get QNX to work with their NOC.

This was first and the main reason.

Tim

Posted using a BlackBerry Z10
    bobauckland likes this.
    04-08-13 05:30 PM
    They dropped it because it was an additional cost to either carriers or consumers. And it was affecting sales.
    Yup and it was brought up by the carriers to drop BIS

04-08-13 05:30 PM
    Wasn't there also an issue (or rumour anyway) of not getting it to work properly with QNX?

Posted via CB10
    That is partially correct

04-08-13 05:31 PM

Tim

Not completely true. BBM and others run through the NOC

agp101 likes this.
    04-08-13 05:32 PM
    And yet Rogers didn't drop the cost of my data plan. How convenient.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 Oreo
    04-08-13 05:32 PM
    And yet Rogers didn't drop the cost of my data plan. How convenient.

Yup that's right they didn't. My plan still costs the same with or without BIS. I called Rogers and they won't give me a discount

04-08-13 05:35 PM

Posted via CB10
    Any such problems, if the rumour is true, could be laid at the feet of the inept software development team. If a programmer cannot implement a set of well-defined protocols in software the person has no business calling themselves a computer programmer. It would be like someone hired as a programmer saying to their manager, "Sorry, boss man. I can't implement an algorithm for Morse Code in C."
    04-08-13 05:37 PM
    Any such problems, if the rumour is true, could be laid at the feet of the inept software development team. If a programmer cannot implement a set of well-defined protocols in software the person has no business calling themselves a computer programmer. It would be like someone hired as a programmer saying to their manager, "Sorry, boss man. I can't implement an algorithm for Morse Code in C."
    This.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 05:42 PM

Some carriers used to charge an up front cost to the consumer to pay for BIS and other carriers built in the price of BIS into your cell bills. This isn't right because I don't have BIS anymore and Rogers is still charging me the same as they did before. They are making a lot of extra money

Same here with me and att, why am I still being charged for BlackBerry Plan? Anyone have reason, or should I contact att?

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 05:42 PM
    There are a lot of reasons to drop BIS. The big one is it just isn't needed anymore. With ActiveSync and IDLE, push email is taken care of. Encryption is handled by SSL. Compression isn't needed because bandwidth is sufficient. In all, the problems and cost of BIS is not offset by the benefits, given today's technology.
    Last edited by jrohland; 04-09-13 at 05:16 AM.
    raremage and RubberChicken76 like this.
    04-08-13 05:44 PM
    I read that a BIS10 is available in places and for corporate users.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 05:48 PM
    I read that a BIS10 is available in places and for corporate users.

Posted via CB10
    That is BES not BIS

04-08-13 05:49 PM
    That is BES not BIS

Bes not bds now for bb10?
    Or did I jumble all my lovely acronyms with 'b's

04-08-13 05:53 PM
    Phone carriers will not lower our fees even if BIS is now dropped and we are fully entitled to pay less. Back when phones were making the transition from rotary to touch tone, the carriers added a fee to cover those transition costs...they realized how much money they were making for doing nothing and never actually removed that fee to this day.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 05:59 PM
    Phone carriers will not lower our fees even if BIS is now dropped and we are fully entitled to pay less. Back when phones were making the transition from rotary to touch tone, the carriers added a fee to cover those transition costs...they realized how much money they were making for doing nothing and never actually removed that fee to this day.

Posted via CB10
    Some did. I don't pay for touch tone service anymore on Verizon, but I do remember the separate fee.
    04-08-13 06:04 PM

Tim

Actually it does work with QNX... they had problem with it at the beginning though. The proof... BES is still around

Posted via CB10
    agp101 likes this.
    04-08-13 06:08 PM
    Some did. I don't pay for touch tone service anymore on Verizon, but I do remember the separate fee.
    Are you sure, because in Canada the touch tone fee still exists but was renamed as some other fee. I saw a documentary on it.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 06:11 PM
    Same here with me and att, why am I still being charged for BlackBerry Plan? Anyone have reason, or should I contact att?

Posted via CB10
    Do you have the Enterprise data plan? If not, AT&T charges the same rate for the smartphone data plans. They just have different names to match the OS of the device used. Android and Windows Phones get lumped in together as "Smartphone data plans".
    04-08-13 06:12 PM
    Do you have the Enterprise data plan? If not, AT&T charges the same rate for the smartphone data plans. They just have different names to match the OS of the device used. Android and Windows Phones get lumped in together as "Smartphone data plans".
    I did a chat with att, found it is my data plan. So that's the reason for it still on my account.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 06:13 PM
    Are you sure, because in Canada the touch tone fee still exists but was renamed as some other fee. I saw a documentary on it.

Posted via CB10
    If they renamed the fee, then I'm unaware of it. I can't say that they didn't do this, though.
    04-08-13 06:17 PM
42 12