Ok...I'm hanging out with a friend who is using a Samsung Note android device, he took a picture of me and tried to beam it to my z10 unsuccessfully. Can't figure out what the problem is. I then tried to beam him one of my pictures and it went through fine. Has anyone experience issues receiving files via nfc on the z10?

Posted via CB10
    04-07-13 12:37 AM
    Perhaps the Note 2 dosent work with the Z10.....
    04-07-13 12:38 AM
    Ok but I thought NFC was a standardized protocol despite the device, like the phone or email or bluetooth

Posted via CB10
    04-07-13 12:42 AM
    NFC file transfer is handled via Bluetooth. You have to actually allow the Bluetooth connection from the Note 2 or vice versa in order to be able to complete the transfer. This is by design and is fully based on the NFC standard. NFC is not capable of handling the actual transfer, it only serves as the initiator of the transaction.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-13 12:57 AM
    I see, my bluetooth was off but I was still able to send him a file. So you're saying it needs to be on to receive? This is news to me.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-13 10:04 AM
    Call BlackBerry or Samsung

Seems an issue with Samsung though.

Posted via CB10, BB10, Z10
    04-07-13 10:06 AM
    And maybe it's a problem with the Z10.
    I was at a bar with him, he recorded a creepy video of a bunch of promo girls dancing and giving out shots. He then showed it to one of the girls, she asked if she could have it and he was able to beam it into her galaxy S3 on the fly with no issues whatsoever

Posted via CB10
    04-07-13 10:22 AM
    Ok but I thought NFC was a standardized protocol despite the device, like the phone or email or bluetooth

Posted via CB10
    Android implementation is a bit odd. After the tap, and as you hold the device in place close to the other device, you should, on Android, swipe up on the object on the screen to confirm sending.
    Apart from this being inconvenient, it might cause the BlackBerry to time out on the transfer.

Both on BlackBerry and Nokia, the tap means transfer initiation. There is no need for user interaction at the time of the tap.

And also standards doesn't mean all companies implement it the same.
    There are still approved Bluetooth devices that don't work with other approved Blue tooth devices and that is despite the fact that BT is a standard protocol.
    westiewanderer and frannip like this.
    04-08-13 07:38 AM
    Blue tooth has to be on to transfer via NFC? Negative

Posted via CB10
    IqWaN likes this.
    04-08-13 08:14 AM
    Blue tooth has to be on to transfer via NFC? Negative

Posted via CB10
    Not on BlackBerry 10 and legacy BlackBerry OS devices.
    Bluetooth will turn on automatically if needed for the transfer.
    04-08-13 08:28 AM
    ^ Thanks for the info... BTW... I downloaded your apps (ProfilesPro and ShortcueMe) Still haven't got a chance to buy tags and play around with the app. You have a youtube channel or video tutorials?
    04-10-13 10:49 PM
    I was under the impression that the Android beam technology used the wifi antenna , and all other manufacturers used blue tooth. That's why they don't work together. Although small things work. Bookmarks and such work fine, but actual files will fail.

Case in point, I transferred all my contacts to my z10 over NFC (blue tooth) but it wouldn't work off an android phone that used beam

Posted via TimeMachine
    SDTRMG likes this.
    04-10-13 10:53 PM
    I was under the impression that the Android beam technology used the wifi antenna , and all other manufacturers used blue tooth. That's why they don't work together. Although small things work. Bookmarks and such work fine, but actual files will fail.

Case in point, I transferred all my contacts to my z10 over NFC (blue tooth) but it wouldn't work off an android phone that used beam

Posted via TimeMachine
    Samsung uses wifi direct for s beam, whereas regular android beam uses bluetooth.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 11:04 PM
    Samsung uses wifi direct for s beam, whereas regular android beam uses bluetooth.

Posted via CB10
    So do I turn on my Wifi as well when receiving file from Samsung phone?

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    04-11-13 12:16 AM
    So do I turn on my Wifi as well when receiving file from Samsung phone?

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    No. It should work over bluetooth. The S beam is a Samsung thing that does the transfer between Samsung devices through wifi direct instead of bluetooth.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 01:11 AM
    Here's a link to how it works... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_Field_Communication

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 01:45 AM
    Edit: it can be accessed using blue tooth or wifi... Should not need to turn on anything else to use it though
    Last edited by russworman; 04-11-13 at 02:23 AM.
    04-11-13 01:46 AM
    NFC is just a handshake, it uses blue tooth or wifi depending on the software. It seems only the samsungs use wifi

Posted via TimeMachine
    04-11-13 02:13 AM
    ^ Thanks for the info... BTW... I downloaded your apps (ProfilesPro and ShortcueMe) Still haven't got a chance to buy tags and play around with the app. You have a youtube channel or video tutorials?
    Those apps are very easy to setup. I haven't made any video tutorial for them.

BTW, make sure you don't buy Mifare Classic tags.

Mifare Ultralight and Mifare Ultralight C tags are fine.
    04-11-13 12:28 PM
    NFC is just a handshake, it uses blue tooth or wifi depending on the software. It seems only the samsungs use wifi

Posted via TimeMachine
    True, but not entirely.
    If the data you want to transfer is not big, the NFC it self is used to transfer data.
    That is the original P2P feature of the NFC standard.
    Bluetooth, and soon Wifi handover are added to the spec later on to handle relatively large data transfer.

What Samsung is using is not standard Wifi Hanover, they are using a proprietary method that doesn't even work between all Samsung models let alone between different platforms.
    04-11-13 12:34 PM
    I have had the same problem but Between two BlackBerries! 9900 and z10. First tried to send and receive images via NFC and it worked good both ways. A second time, always between the two phones, I tried to send an image, but NFC connection was pretty unstable so it showed reconnecting popups like 5 times, after that looking inside picture folder in Bold 9900 I had the 5 instances of the same image I was trying to send, all opening good inside the bold's viewer. After that I tried to bluetooth pair the two phones to see If that could be solving the problem, pairing was successful... but after that pairing, it looks like NFC between the two BlackBerry models (again z10 and 9900) won't work anymore.... which is waaaay lame.
    04-15-13 07:13 AM
    About two weeks ago my buddy and I transfered a bunch of photos between my Z10 and his Note2 without a problem. It all worked seamless as it should. My other buddy with his iphone suddenly felt left out lol

Posted via CB10
    frannip likes this.
    04-15-13 08:11 AM