I live in the UK, and for a number of years now, McDonald's burgers are somewhat smaller than they used to be, say around the 90's/early 2000's. Is this the same for the US and other countries? I used to look forward to a Big Mac, now I never really bother with McDonald's burgers anymore and go to Burger King for my fix. Double Whopper with cheese any day compared to a Big Mac.
    04-06-13 02:27 PM
    odd post in a BlackBerry forum. But I don't like McDonald's at all and would also pick burger King if the choice was there. Enjoy you burger!!!!

CB10 App, Z10
    04-06-13 02:35 PM
    Yes , weird post but I'll bite. Your hands were smaller then so the burger seemed bigger

Posted via CB10
    Serkle K, annon91221 and 3hb78ftg like this.
    04-06-13 02:37 PM
    odd post in a BlackBerry forum. But I don't like McDonald's at all and would also pick burger King if the choice was there. Enjoy you burger!!!!

CB10 App, Z10
    Haha, hence being posted in the Off-Topic Lounge. Yeah, Burger King burgers taste great in my opinion. I like the flame grilled taste of them, and they are a decent size as well. Long live the Whopper!
    BergerKing likes this.
    04-06-13 02:40 PM
    Yes , weird post but I'll bite. Your hands were smaller then so the burger seemed bigger

Posted via CB10
    I've researched the topic, and this was McDonald's own response to someone asking this question. I think it's their response to a cover-up.
    BergerKing likes this.
    04-06-13 02:42 PM
    Their servings have become smaller. I remember when a 20 piece McNuggets used to bulge the box. Their Southern Style chicken sandwich has shrunk, too.
    chris8189 and billsterjito like this.
    04-06-13 02:52 PM
    Their servings have become smaller. I remember when a 20 piece McNuggets used to bulge the box. Their Southern Style chicken sandwich has shrunk, too.
    Your user name leads me to believe that you may be a little bias.

CB10 App, Z10
    04-06-13 03:25 PM
    Your user name leads me to believe that you may be a little bias.

CB10 App, Z10
    Ahh, that would be deceiving, because my moniker has nothing to do with food.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-06-13 04:06 PM
    I used to work at McDonald's and yes, they do try to reduce portions to increase gross margins. For example less lettuce in the big Mac, only one cheese on the Mc value double cheese, which is now called mc double. Their Angus burgers got a complete overhaul in terms of configuration, all while raising, keeping the price equal to make it more profitable; among other things.
    Maybe they were looking for reduced costs, afterall they did many of these things prior to their launch of Mc cafe and restaurant renovations for their new coffee model. One thing is for sure, value will never increase with time.

In most cases it's unnoticeable, but their food is still good lol, and their business model truly superb.
    About the mcnuggets, it was always 6 or 10, and their nuggets didn't get smaller, but they definitely charge quite a bit by weight ratio, though I really don't know what their margins on that is anyway.

This has been your McDonald's lesson for the day haha.

To further add to this post, I'd like to mention I also used to work as a mechanic, government certified. It's relevant so that I can put into perspective the impact of what one slice of cheese can have on gross margins. I came across information once in the auto field how a certain automaker saved around a couple of inches of wiring for a car model (there is a lot of wiring in a car btw).
    This particular section of wiring was for the SRS system, otherwise known as the Safety Restraint System, which. Involves all your airbags, safety belts, computer modules related etc. Anyway, for many things in this system, namely the airbag, many auto makers use gold wiring and contacts because they have incredible conductivity and the system requires complete reliability for safety obviously. This wiring is more expensive. Anyway, so saving a couple of inches per car on an x amount of cars, I forget the exact amount, saved them something like a million dollars total in the production of all these cars.
    Not sure if anyone cares, but a weird thread sometimes calls for weird posts lol!

I figured I'd also include that I'm working towards an engineering major in Computer Science, since you know so much about me already!
    Last edited by agp101; 04-06-13 at 06:17 PM.
    Etios and BergerKing like this.
    04-06-13 04:50 PM
    Interesting and informative post above. So can you confirm that McDonald's have actually reduced the size of their burgers over time?
    04-06-13 06:42 PM
    Interesting and informative post above. So can you confirm that McDonald's have actually reduced the size of their burgers over time?
    Of course this is all unofficial and off the record, but I can say that they have been, like the majority of the fast food industry, giving incrementally less value over time, the increment almost unoticeable. The thing is, for this industry, every year prices raise by a couple cents on average. Most of this is due to normal inflation, but they will never give you "More " sandwich for the same price. Once in a while the increase in price adds just a few cents for extra returns on profits, other times, like the Mc double, they remove one slice of cheese, or put less lettuce in the big Mac. This is in addition to the raise in price due to normal inflation, cost of living, minimum wage stuff, because these all increase incrementally over time.

McDonald's definitely isn't the only on doing this. I think if you really pay attention to prices over the years, or try to remember how much you paid for something at Burger King 3 years ago, chances are it's more expensive now even if just by 60 cents. Can't know how much of the price increase is normal inflation, but as I said above they're never giving you more sandwich lol.

Posted via CB10
    chris8189 likes this.
    04-06-13 08:09 PM
    Of course this is all unofficial and off the record, but I can say that they have been, like the majority of the fast food industry, giving incrementally less value over time, the increment almost unoticeable. The thing is, for this industry, every year prices raise by a couple cents on average. Most of this is due to normal inflation, but they will never give you "More " sandwich for the same price. Once in a while the increase in price adds just a few cents for extra returns on profits, other times, like the Mc double, they remove one slice of cheese, or put less lettuce in the big Mac. This is in addition to the raise in price due to normal inflation, cost of living, minimum wage stuff, because these all increase incrementally over time.

McDonald's definitely isn't the only on doing this. I think if you really pay attention to prices over the years, or try to remember how much you paid for something at Burger King 3 years ago, chances are it's more expensive now even if just by 60 cents. Can't know how much of the price increase is normal inflation, but as I said above they're never giving you more sandwich lol.

Posted via CB10
    You can see a similar trend at the grocery store. Take yogurt. Used to be, you got an 8 oz cup of store brand for 38 cents. Then it went to 40, then it became a 6 oz cup so you got less for the same money. A box of crackers goes from 16oz to 13. And so on.
    04-07-13 02:16 AM
    I have a friend that used to work in a McDonald's chicken nugget factory. It lasted only two weeks. He was so disgusted with what actually gets thrown into the nuggets, he quit. I won't gross people out by going into any details. Let's just say he was the biggest McDonald's lover before working there. Now he has not set foot into one of their restaurants since quiting. Hungry anyone?

Posted via CB10
    04-07-13 02:22 AM
    What the heck are we talking about, again?
    Last edited by SpiralBorg; 04-07-13 at 02:55 AM.
    xBURK likes this.
    04-07-13 02:32 AM
    'Completely off the topic', there was once an fly in my steak and potato mash, at an local restaurant.
    Unfortunately, it was 4 days to Christmas, didn't exactly lighten up my festive spirit...
    So what were we talking about, oh, right, McDonalds! Ate their last Tuesday, had to a off it down my throat, though....
    04-07-13 02:58 AM
    Who cares about the burgers. The free McDonald's wifi has saved my azz a few times

Posted via CB10
    04-07-13 06:49 AM
    Regardless of whatever they do with the Quantity of their Products, Junk Food is still Junk Food, high calories and excessive toxic fats which accumulates in your body that would end up taking years to get rid of it! not to mention what they throw inside your meal of course!!

I've stopped eating from any junk food restaurant and stopped Soda Drinks, the end results is a healthy & fit body

as it is said :you are what you EAT!
    xmscott likes this.
    04-07-13 07:00 AM
    Regardless of whatever they do with the Quantity of their Products, Junk Food is still Junk Food, high calories and excessive toxic fats which accumulates in your body that would end up taking years to get rid of it! not to mention what they throw inside your meal of course!!

I've stopped eating from any junk food restaurant and stopped Soda Drinks, the end results is a healthy & fit body

With this person 100%

And

04-07-13 08:39 AM
    Their burgers are good, but they're considered biscuits here. In Houston, Whataburger has the big burgers. Twice as big as Mickie D's

Posted via CB10
    04-07-13 06:47 PM
    We go to Harvey's for burgers, usually only when we can get a two for one deal a couple of times a year.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-13 06:51 PM

The fact that you've stopped eating from any fast food joints for health considerations is great for you, and I agree that you are what you eat. However, I also believe in the saying 'everything in moderation', which is the mantra I live by when it comes to food and other things. I eat in fast food joints less than once a month, which is fine in my books. I just happen to like burgers, so when I get a craving for one, I will have one. That doesn't mean I eat them every day. I say enjoy life, you're only here once.
    SK122387 and agp101 like this.
    04-07-13 07:26 PM
    Yea, I definitely think McDonald's is not good for you, but if you eat there once a month, I can't see it being a problem. If anyone wants the biggest burger in Toronto, check out Wimpy's or Dangerous Dans. Unreal.

Posted via CB10
    chris8189 likes this.
    04-08-13 03:52 PM

Posted from the beyond...
    04-08-13 09:58 PM
    Who cares about the burgers. The free McDonald's wifi has saved my azz a few times

Posted via CB10
    Agreed
    Their coffee has also improved to the point that its drinkable. It used to have lava heat without any taste.
    I don't eat burgers unless I make them so I can not comment on the size.
    04-09-13 08:25 AM
    I like KFC more, honestly.
    04-10-13 07:13 AM
33 12