One of the top features I love about BlackBerry: Holstering.

For many of you (if not all) fellow CrackBerrians, I don't really have to tell you this or remind you: but the best thing about BlackBerry is the core value of pure communication.

With that in mind, we revel in the fact that we rarely ever miss a message. Yes, there is the addicting red light that tells us when we have a new notification.

But what if we have the phone in our pocket or clipped to our belt?

The holster function is something that is still unique to BBRY and is pretty undervalued in the smartphone world. You can feel and/or hear a notification, and at the same time you also help conserve your battery.

I hated missing messages on my Cupertino handset, which would sometimes happen if I didn't always consciously unlock the phone or go into my messages. Yes, those devices with little-green-robot software from Mountain View also have notification lights. And the Redmond operating system? Those phones don't even have a visible light or pop-up notifier.

Meanwhile, Waterloo has always made it easy to know if you have a message. Whether it be visual, audible or to the touch: you always have a way to be notified.

For most of my 14 BB devices I've used, I've had the holster and/or pocket sleeve. The holster is used while at work and the pocket sleeve is for the days off or nights on the town.

Now, I still use cases. But the holster or pocket sleeve is very helpful for the times that I don't really need to be on my BlackBerry, but still don't want to miss a message or call.

I love being methodical about using a smartphone.

I currently have the belt holster and a hard-plastic case, with the transform shell and pocket sleeve on order.

How do you use your cases, holsters, sleeves?
    04-06-13 04:37 AM
    I used a BB OEM holster for my 9900 but the holster would occasionally fall off my belt when exiting my car. One winter wearing a heavy coat I didn't feel it fall off. When I got to work I noticed my loss but I thought that I had left it at home. Suffice it to say that my phone was lost forever.

Now I use the soft leather OEM pocket pouch. It protects my screen and is secure in my pocket. If I used my phone for work I would probably still use the holster. I used to like the plastic cradle design ... almost like a "quick draw" but then again I think it I dropped the phone some times because it was so easy to take the phone from the cradle.
    04-06-13 09:14 AM
    Enjoyed your post mainly because I could read it. You would be surprised how many CB members cant even spell, or at least edit any typos, LOL. But back to your post. I am personally an exclusive user of BlackBerry branded holsters, of which I have many. For me they offer the best protection for my BB device and look good to boot. I never could stand to just simply slip it in my pocket and subject it to being hit by something. The BlackBerry holsters are the best IMO, and my 9310 is safe and sound in them.
    04-06-13 09:59 AM
    What is holestering

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    04-06-13 10:04 AM
    I've always liked using a holster. The fact that my 9700 would switching to vibrate in the holster, and back to audio notifications when removed was a great feature. Plus, I like that it would go to sleep when inserted, and wake up when removed.

The holster I have for my Z10 works similarly, although it doesn't switch to vibrate when inserted. Either I haven't found that setting, or if is something that will hopefully show up in an update.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-13 04:42 PM
    I use otterbox defender on my 9930, and agree that holstering is great. Feel it vibrate, take bb out of holster and it is opened to the new msg already. No work required. Just read thread on z10 forum about the effort required to open msg from lock screen. Didnt bother to comment but i have no issues. But if you dont use holster or have bb sitting on desk, i guess there is a little work.
    04-06-13 05:20 PM
    What is holstering

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    04-06-13 06:48 PM
    I love using the Holster!! I have had it on all of my BB phones. Especially when i am working. I haven't had problems with it falling off. I always clip it to inside of my pocket.
    04-06-13 07:04 PM
    What is holstering

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    When you place your BlackBerry in a holster, it puts it to sleep and notifications turn to vibrate. When you take it out of the holster, it wakes up and notifications are restored.

Posted via CB10
    southlander likes this.
    04-06-13 07:06 PM
    What is holestering

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    On the traditional blackberry os, the notifications can have special settings for when holstered (like switch to vibrate + sound).

Posted via CB10
    04-06-13 08:53 PM
    When you place your BlackBerry in a holster, it puts it to sleep and notifications turn to vibrate. When you take it out of the holster, it wakes up and notifications are restored.

Posted via CB10
    Plus unless I am mistaken, when removed from the holster it automatically opens the message just received right?

Posted via CB10
    04-06-13 08:55 PM