As you can see in the comments of this article

crackberry.com/dev-alpha-c-blackberry-q10-disguise

'polytope' connected his dev c device to a tv via HDMI and got a square picture.

Now I'm concerned that Q10 will give you always a square picture on HDMI. In apps, presentations, videos etc.

Is it rather a hardware limitation of the graphic chip or a software problem which could or better should be fixed soon?
    mountainman likes this.
    04-05-13 12:05 PM
    You expected the HDMI output to be magically bigger/different specs over the built in display resolution?

And more to the point, expecting it to be fixed implies there's an issue. 1:1 screen = 1:1 output.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-13 12:14 PM
    When you HDMI a laptop to a 1080p TV and the laptop isn't 1080p, you can choose whether to mirror the laptop and TV (meaning a low-res or black-barred image on the TV), or make the laptop screen blank and have the TV show the full stuff.

I really hope the Q10 will have this option in the final build. It makes perfect sense to make the TV image 1:1 if you want the image to display simultaneously on the phone and the TV, such as with a powerpoint presentation, but for watching a movie, there should be an option to turn off the phone screen and enjoy the full TV resolution.
    04-05-13 12:24 PM
    As you can see in the comments of this article

crackberry.com/dev-alpha-c-blackberry-q10-disguise

'polytope' connected his dev c device to a tv via HDMI and got a square picture.

Now I'm concerned that Q10 will give you always a square picture on HDMI. In apps, presentations, videos etc.

Is it rather a hardware limitation of the graphic chip or a software problem which could or better should be fixed soon?
    Just checked out the comments - thanks for posting it here. Curious to see when he displays pics/vids if it goes to HD full mode.
    04-05-13 12:24 PM
    You expected the HDMI output to be magically bigger/different specs over the built in display resolution?

And more to the point, expecting it to be fixed implies there's an issue. 1:1 screen = 1:1 output.

Posted via CB10
    I don't expect magic only productivity features.
    1:1 would be limiting and mobile computing as announced pretty much impossible.
    04-05-13 12:43 PM
    Even though core OS screens might provide a square, I bet it will be like PlayBook and Z10 (which dont have exactly the same aspect ratio as 1080p btw) - if you play a video or do Docs2Go Presenter, the video or ppt shown on the TV will be full 720/1080p.
    04-05-13 12:56 PM
    I'm sorry to report that there is no good news I can give at the moment.

There are no apps on the Development build that takes advantage of a second display. There is no picture app and no video app that I can test with on my Dev Alpha C. All I get is a mirroring of the Dev Alpha C screen, which is square.

I hope that in the next build, BlackBerry will give us some more stock apps so we can get a better picture of what the device can do.
    mountainman and michaelrsg like this.
    04-06-13 01:44 PM
    Thanks Poly - it would be silly if vids and pics only show in a square - I'm sure that is not going to be the case.

These dev alpha c's are barebones for sure - prob just to get the screen dimensions and keyboard stuff working correctly.
    04-06-13 07:12 PM
    I hope that in the next build, BlackBerry will give us some more stock apps so we can get a better picture of what the device can do.
    Thanks a lot polytope, hope it will be all fine on the Q10 in the end...
    04-07-13 01:16 AM