'New BlackBerry Handsets Due in 2013' Could Depress Current Sales - Forbes

BlackBerry CEO Thorsten Heins has confirmed that BlackBerry will be releasing new smartphone designs later this year, in an interview with The Canadian Press. Following on from the European launch at the start of 2013, I can�t decide if I agree with Heins� move, or if he�s going to upset the consumer market and depress sales.

The Z10 has just reached the US market, and while we wait for the sales figures to come in, many consumers will be considering the handset for purchase. As with any tech purchase, the worry is that something better will be put on sale in the months after the decision is made. There�s no question now, something better is coming. So why take a risk on this first handset?� many will think. �Let�s see how it sells and wait for the next model.�

But at the same time, it shows that BlackBerry has a plan going forward, a plan that involves a number of new handsets, and these handsets will populate a number of different price points, giving network operators a chance to range BlackBerry 10 devices across a wide spectrum of prices. In theory that significantly increases the target market.

There�s a fine line to walk between giving people confidence in a platform with forward looking plans, and painting such a rosy picture of the future that everyone decides to wait. I think Heins has just about managed this for the rest of the world, where the Z10 has been available for close to three months.

Perhaps it is a bit too soon to trail new devices in the US market, but with networks reliant on huge subsidies to bring the cost of leading smartphones down to $100 (or less) the value for money in a cheaper handset would have less of an impact on US sales. While the rest of the world will look to mid and low range handsets, the US based Z10 is already in the �cheap� price band.

BlackBerry�s success or failure with BB10 will not be down to a single decision, but a series of calls throughout the year that will influence the perception of the platform. That is a very delicate act to balance out, and even harder to demonstrate to investors, board members, and interested parties. This hardware announcement, even without statistics or details, adds a tiny bit more weight to the negative side of things. Hopefully sales figures (as opposed to shipping figures) will balance it out over the current quarter.
    04-04-13 03:16 AM
    Frankly, the BlackBerry Z10 and Q10 should have been available at the same time with no further models coming until 2015. BlackBerry could use 2013 and 2014 to refine BlackBerry OS 10 and focus on building a solid feature-complete platform to carry them through the next decade. I get the impression BlackBerry is not giving enough priority to addressing the numerous issues with BlackBerry OS 10 in a timely manner.
    04-04-13 04:37 AM
  3. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    yeah right .. the only thing it will depress is the Short Sellers!!
    LoganSix, playbookster and KDB84 like this.
    04-04-13 04:41 AM
    Frankly, the BlackBerry Z10 and Q10 should have been available at the same time with no further models coming until 2015. BlackBerry could use 2013 and 2014 to refine BlackBerry OS 10 and focus on building a solid feature-complete platform to carry them through the next decade. I get the impression BlackBerry is not giving enough priority to addressing the numerous issues with BlackBerry OS 10 in a timely manner.
    That would be a nice long vacation for the hardware design division.
    jimmyt1 and Prince_Poppycock like this.
    04-04-13 04:41 AM
    Hmm dont think another phones coming out for a while if there is not a good idea.BB is not hot enough yet imo.OS still needs work they should really listen to user feature request at the minute.Dont make mistakes previous ceo's did.

In my mind Z10/Q10 then drop lower end versions thats 4 phones.Then drop 10 inch playbook (limited stock) and a new 7 inch pb as well as update previous pb's. That should be portfolio for now.Like kill_9 said really huge focus should be on software improvements.And getting on carriers case about the OS updates that are terribly pushed out.BB should actual offer an alternative on their website so people can update the carriers are proving to be liability here.

More software and customer care for me.People should be happy to upgrade to the new phone when their contract runs out apple had a good system their but buckled.Dont start fragmenting again don't get greedy now.Keep it simple and easy the transition to OS 10 is years off.
    Last edited by RECOOL; 04-04-13 at 08:22 AM.
    H_O_Boomaye likes this.
    04-04-13 04:56 AM
    There will always be a n new handset in the next couple of months.
    KDB84 likes this.
    04-04-13 04:57 AM
    @Kill_9 What you don't get is that when they say 2013, they mean 2015.

Remember, Blackberry's time is a bit more expanded than everybody else's
    04-04-13 05:25 AM
    Everyone knows apples and Samsungs product release cycle, but it doesn't effect sales of current handsets for them.

Not buying the title of that article

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Z10
    04-04-13 05:35 AM
    Tech buyers break down in to 4 basic types:
    1. Pioneers - These folks want the latest tech device. They are willing to give up other purchases or use credit to get the current model if necessary. They may be aware of something new coming soon but don't care because they will get that when it is available.
    2. Whiners - They bought the current model and, as soon as the next model is rumored, they start whining that the company "owes" them the update because the company let them buy this version knowing there was a newer version coming...someday. They are mad and vow to never own that company's products again.
    3. Indecisive - They are ready to buy but then rumors of a new one coming out in 8 months stops them because they should just wait for that one. Some how they never seem to learn rumors are wrong and the schedule is not going to be met. But still they wait...and wait...until the several generation old device they have breaks and then they have to buy whatever is current even if a new one will be out in 3 weeks.
    4. Users - These are the folks that buy the product and use it. They don't concern themselves with product cycles or rumors. They use the device until it no longer meets their needs and then get something else.
    04-04-13 05:54 AM
    BlackBerry said they have 6 BB10 devices due to launch in 2013. Unsure if a 'phablet' is coming as a larger screen will have a different resolution/ppi.
    Let's wait and see.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-13 06:02 AM
    @Kill_9 What you don't get is that when they say 2013, they mean 2015.

Remember, Blackberry's time is a bit more expanded than everybody else's
    One BlackBerry year is five Earth years.

Posted via CB10
    H_O_Boomaye and richardat like this.
    04-04-13 06:04 AM
    The problem here isn't that newer models are coming out too soon, in fact, they're right on time. The problem is the Z10 and Q10 came out too late. These modals should have entered the market in Q4 last year like the company wanted but were delayed. If the Z10 and Q10 came out in time, then the newer modals would have been out about a year later.

Most companies wait a year for new products to roll out. I don't see a problem for Blackberry to do it in 9 months rather than 12. This will be around in a new early school year and before the holidays.

I think they should go a head for it and release it around August/September
    04-04-13 06:44 AM
    A rather silly article. BlackBerry will come out with a mid tier smartphone, there is market demand for it.
    I'm curious if a phablet will be offered.
    As much as I liked the physical keyboard I do like the virtual keyboard on the Z10.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-13 06:54 AM
    It's Forbes. I wouldn't even waste a grain of salt on it.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-13 07:40 AM
    As others have said, the other smartphones could very well be geared for the low-end market. Thorsten never said "a super awesome flagship device" is coming soon.

There could very well be a super awesome flagship device yet to come, but this isn't any different from the rate of updates that Samsung and Apple pump out. There have already been five versions of the iPad (if you count the mini) over a very short period of time. All it's done is push sales of the iPad up, not down.
    04-04-13 10:07 AM
    What....why?

Do you not notice that other carriers push out phones 2-3 times within an 18 month span? The Z10 is already old when it launched, they are already working on its successor. Just like with video game consoles. Once you release a Nintendo, you do a lil to keep it afloat you make updates here and there, but for the most part all that research is going into the next Nintendo.
    04-04-13 10:14 AM
    Why would some people think that if new phones are released later in the year, that they will be better than Z10 or Q10. Those are the 2 flagship phones people, newer releases will be to capture more market share with lower end phones. Don't hold out for something better. The best is here now. Possibly next year they will improve the Z10, like every other manufacturers of smart phones, one flagship per year

Posted via CB10 from my Z10
    04-04-13 10:16 AM
    I think announcing the "Holiday" phone while they are trying to sell the Z10 and soon Q10 was a huge mistake. Shouldn't have been announced until end of Summer at the earliest. They are just trying to appease investors, but sabotaging their own potential sales in the interim. Look what announcing BB10 prematurely did to OS7 device sales!
    04-04-13 10:24 AM
    LOL. Well they need to at least "refresh" the hardware specs, to keep up somewhat with the competition, but I agree with you 100% that finishing/polishing the OS, and along with that: apps, need to be far and away their priority. New models, phablets, etc....meaningless without the software being there.
    04-04-13 02:13 PM
    It's Forbes. I wouldn't even waste a grain of salt on it.

Posted via CB10
    LOL. It's a person weighing what he sees as the pros and cons of talking about the future products in the present (something BB has done). Wouldn't believe a word! Love how fanatics will throw hatred and criticism at an article without even having read it.
    04-04-13 02:20 PM
    LOL. It's a person weighing what he sees as the pros and cons of talking about the future products in the present (something BB has done). Wouldn't believe a word! Love how fanatics will throw hatred and criticism at an article without even having read it.
    not to be mean, or pick on you... but in the past month or so all the posts i have seen from you have been incredibly negative and a majority are either rumor or 'what if' based. Is there a reason for this?
    Prince_Poppycock likes this.
    04-04-13 04:03 PM
    The new models coming out are meant to flesh out their line up and will not be competing directly with the Z10-Q10. TH was for example talking about a mid tier device for markets where the Z10-Q10 would be considered a luxury purchase.
    04-04-13 05:21 PM
    Thorsten has been quoted by various sources as saying "The true BB10 experience is coming" - to me, that means a higher spec device than either the Z10 or Q10.

Posted via CB10
    richardat likes this.
    04-05-13 04:53 AM
    http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2013/03/bla...another-level/

See, the Great and Powerful Heins has said the new phone "takes BlackBerry 10 to another level in terms of the user experience".

Posted via CB10
    04-05-13 06:29 AM
    I agree that the top priorities should be addressing issues with the BB10 platform. There is lots of work to do there in addition to implementing features that were available in BB7, but omitted from the Z10.

In term over devices, getting the Q10 out should be a top priority. The one disagreement I have with you is on not releasing new device until 2015. I think that would hurt BlackBerry more than it would help them.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    richardat likes this.
    04-05-13 07:13 AM
27 12