I don't post often here but I do read a lot of the articles/threads and see quite a few either bashing the Z10, praising the Z10 like it is the best thing since sliced bread, and/or some threads that do offer some very thoughtful insights on the pros and cons of BlackBerry's new device. Here are my thoughts after having the Z10 then the iP5.

Disclaimer: this is my opinions only as I don't have any stock with any company nor do I favor any brand whatsoever. As a matter of fact I am a very indecisive person when it comes to technology especially cell phones.

Here it goes, I followed the hype train all the way through via CrackBerry and various other sites so I picked up the Z10 (and my wife got the iP5) on March 9 from Bell, switched over from Telus mid contract as Telus was being jerks and would not let me upgrade, but that is besides the point. I gave the device a good solid week to try it out to see if I liked it, even purchased a white transform case for protection. However, the following Sunday (March 16th) I exchanged the Z10 for an iPhone 5 and I will explain why shortly.

Reasons why I exchanged my device

1) the camera - I felt the camera took terrible pictures as compared to the iP5 and the lack of built in panorama view was disappointing. But had I waited Occipital came out with an app to be able to take pictures using a panoramic view.

2) Ecosystem - This is a big area where BB needs to get better. I admit BBW is improving by the week it is just not quick enough. I was also disappointed that quite a few apps were not available during the launch period especially an app such as Yellow Pages who has supported BB for quite some time. I know I could have side loaded apps but I prefer to have my apps built for that particular device, be fully functional, and have all the features their counter parts have to offer. Example the flixster app is pretty bare bones compared to it's iOS cousin. Yes I get it, the OS is new but why not give the consumer the best experience possible not a dumb down version just to be on the Z10? However, there are some apps on the Z10 where I do like the user interface better than on the iPhone 5. The Weather Network being one of them.

3) Potential lack of support - This is one area that does have me concerned and is an extension of point 2. So developer 'x' has an app on iOS, Android, and/or a BB; but there is an update does the BB app get neglected? Does it get an update but not all the key features or new levels? Example Angry Birds Star Wars. The day it became available for BB10 there were new levels added to the iOS version, will they come to BB? I shouldn't always have to email a developer regarding if their app is coming or getting the same treatment, those developers should want to develop for other platforms to increase their profits considering it is a new OS and people want to try new things. But, on the other hand if there isn't the support for said platform then why continue developing for it.

4) Music library - I know 7digital powers the music store for BB and it does have a very robust library but it's still lacking for not having quite a few bands or artists available. Two examples come to mind are Metallica and AC/DC.

5) Darker screen - I may have had a defective Z10 but even at full brightness I felt the screen was still quite dark as compared to an iPhone. For clarity the Z10 was awesome probably would say better than the Retina display.

6) iTunes - Everything just flows so smoothly with iTunes when using an iPhone which should be expected of course. Everyone says it is a 'walled garden' but hey if it makes for ease of backing up and transferring data then who cares.

The reasons why I may switch back to the Z10:

1) Keyboard - for a touchscreen keyboard the Z10 has the best one hands down. I haven't use Swiftkey on Android so I only have the iPhone to compare to.

2) Notifications - Although not perfect on the Z10, I do miss the blinking red light. I honestly thought over time it would not be a big deal but if I am not always near my iPhone and I don't care to have to press the home button just to see if I have a message.

3) Home button - it is just another component that could potentially break. Where as the Z10 only has the volume buttons and the standby button on the top.

4) Closing the apps - After using the Z10 and going to the iP5 I find closing apps to be a huge PITA on the iPhone. Swiping and pressing the 'x' button is much smoother on the Z10.

5) Speaker - I find the speaker on any 'i' product is abysmal but more so on an iPhone. Seems that even after a couple of times of using the speaker the sound quality starts to get distorted and it's not as though I listen to music at full volume.

6) Battery life - The battery on the iP5 stinks. For one the battery gets super hot especially if I am playing games on the phone. Where's My Water? and Saving Yello are the worst. It seems as though I always have to plug it in. However I am seeing issues in regards to the Z10 battery on here and still having to do battery pulls.

7) LTE - Z10 is a true 4G LTE device. iPhone 5 claims it does LTE but half the time it goes to 3G. That may be a network issue, but when I had the Z10 it stayed in 4G/LTE mode.

Other items that don't really sway my decision on way or another

1) security - some users are very particular about security and refuse to go to an iOS or Android device in which I completely understand, however I am in the same boat as what Adam Zeis wrote in his article 'Why I don't use a password on my Z10.' I have nothing to hide nor do I store any major personal information on the device regardless of platform.

2) Emails - both the Z10 and iP5 handle emails pretty well although I did find the Z10 to get messages a little quicker. Plus set up is a piece of cake. However, one area that I am having problems with is trying to set up my work e-mail address on the device. If I were to buy a Z10 again what steps would I need to do to set up a work MS Outlook express account? My company does not have BES.

3) NFC - This feature hasn't really taken off here in Alberta (I don't know about the rest of Canada) so this is a pretty mute point.

So in hindsight, if BB could create the ecosystem that Apple and Android has, there should be no reason why it can't compete with these two powerhouse operating systems.
    Now with that being said I may consider selling the iPhone and going back to the Z10 as it is past the 14 days. Like I said I am a very indecisive and impatient person (my wife hates it).
    04-03-13 05:35 PM
    Decent and respected review of your experience. I always tell people to choose the device that fits into your life and routine. That being said, Team BlackBerry would love to have you back but if not we understand. Just know that you can always come home.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-13 05:45 PM
    Music...

I bought the new Charles Bradley album today.

Passed my test

Posted via CB10
    04-03-13 05:49 PM
    Well you gave the Z10's a try and it did not work out for you. I understand your reasons and thanks for your incite. There is obviously room improvement and I am hoping that BlackBerry comes through. Thanks once again for your post OP.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    04-03-13 06:22 PM
    More pablum.
    04-03-13 06:33 PM
    Great post.. I empathize with most of your points, the only difference being I came frkm android. But even on Android the apps are better than on BlackBerry. BlackBerry better handle that situation ASAP if they want to stay in the game.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    04-03-13 06:43 PM
    Please see this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=791381

Posted via CB10 from my Zed
    04-03-13 07:00 PM
    Please see this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=791381

Posted via CB10 from my Zed
    Sorry but I completely disagree with this post. There are going to discussions involving people that are coming from iOS/Android/Windows Phone/etc. that are switching to the Z10 since there are a lot of people that love/like Blackberry but are using other devices. Some people are iPhone and Android lovers but are curious about trying the Z10.

If you don't like a post you don't have to read it. However, non biased reviews are always helpful. We see a handful of these posts a week - they arent really cluttering up the board that much. I am not talking about you but it seems like some people here are trying to be board policemen but really are just being rude.
    marrobinson and nickthebold like this.
    04-03-13 07:20 PM
    Yes, there have been a lot of these threads and I usually leave them alone but this OP's reflections seem very sober and honest. I just came from 4 years of iPhone and I wouldn't think of going back but for very subjective reasons. Here are my thoughts on your thoughts.

1) Yes, the camera is not the best but for me it's adequate.

2) The apps have been well discussed since before it even launched. No one could possibly be surprised that they wouldn't start with 6 years' worth of apps and it's pretty easy to find which ones are there or not.

3) I suppose app support could be an issue and is similar in nature to #2 in that it's dependent on the perceived business potential.

4) No, 7Digital can't compete with iTunes but you are free to get your music from wherever you choose.

5) I think it is slightly darker but it hasn't been a issue for me.

6) I couldn't stand iTunes and I was very happy to leave it far behind. I much prefer a system where you copy, move, delete and rename all your files the same as a grown-up computer. I may be in the minority but for me it was a big step up.

I agree with all the benefits listed for the Z10 and, even more importantly, I would add,

8) a fuller and faster browser

9) real multitasking

10) easy wifi access to all data files

11) very advanced message hub

12) much more gesture control which is far more intuitive and elegant than a big button.

For me there is also one over-arching factor which includes some of the things previously mentioned and that is potential. The apps will keep coming to the Z10 as will the app support. NFC, also, has lots of potential and the QNX-based OS seems to be bursting with opportunities. To me, the Z10 is already great and yet still has a lot more coming. In contrast, the last few iPhone iterations have been pretty minimal and I don't see anything at all that suggests anything better coming. But I will say that what the iPhone does, it does very well.

We are so lucky to have these excellent devices to choose between and hopefully we're all very happy with our choices

Posted via CB10
    04-03-13 07:36 PM
    I too was on iOS and switched to BlackBerry Z10, reasons :
    1. UI is the best around for my type of work
    2. Smoother operation and easy flow
    3. Best keyboard
    4. For someone in IT this is the phone to use just checkout the settings
    5. Zip/unzip files on the phone itself
    6. Peek and hub are great - best out of all phones
    7. Easy access to files on the cloud, phone and sdcard
    8. Ability extend storage with SDCARD
    9. Security

Posted via CB10
    04-03-13 07:44 PM
    I 2nd Ecosystem for overall user experience, but to the Androidians, BlackBerry 10 needs quality apps, not just half baked nut job apps--who am I to say? I've been marred by Apple since 2007. lol
    04-03-13 07:44 PM
    No offense but why are people still complain about lack of apps you said you read the forums and reviews but got a Z anyway and then complain. Sound like you can read but can't comprehend you hear but don't listen. I would rather wait for one good app then settle for whips gun sounds and farts look into how many off the apps on ios have never been downloaded numbers is how apple plays you and others.

Posted with BlackBerry Z10
    John Pawling likes this.
    04-03-13 08:00 PM
    Work needs to enable active sync in their exchange server for your account and you should be ok.

Posted via CB10
    blackhawksfan75 likes this.
    04-03-13 08:20 PM
    No offense but why are people still complain about lack of apps you said you read the forums and reviews but got a Z anyway and then complain. Sound like you can read but can't comprehend you hear but don't listen. I would rather wait for one good app then settle for whips gun sounds and farts look into how many off the apps on ios have never been downloaded numbers is how apple plays you and others.

But as I pointed out in my opening thread, an app such as the Yellow Pages who has supported BB for the last couple of years should have had their app on day one or relatively close.

Posted with BlackBerry Z10
    Why does this rebuttal always come up when someone talks about apps? Every ecosystem has their fair share of immature apps. Apple isn't alone in that respect. Yes I agree Apple does have thousands of apps that never have been downloaded but when they say "there is an app for that they mean it." Android has caught up and now it should be BlackBerry's turn without having to sideload to fill that gap.

I did go in with the Z10 knowing about the apps but at the end of the day with all those BB Jams and port-a-thons over the past year you would think more of the popular apps would be (or should have been) in BBW during the first week or two during the initial launch period or at the very latest during the US release.
    Caymancroc likes this.
    04-03-13 08:37 PM
    I should point out the Z10 wasn't my first kick at the cat with BlackBerry. I previously had a Torch 9800 and a Bold 9900. Prior to those I did have an iPhone 4. After the 9900 I was stuck using a pre-paid android that couldn't do anything. So I have been bouncing around for the last couple of years.
    04-03-13 08:43 PM
    If you want the apps so bad you can always be like me and have an iPad

Posted via CB10
    04-03-13 08:50 PM
    If you want the apps so bad you can always be like me and have an iPad

I do have an iPad wifi only though.
    Posted via CB10
    04-03-13 08:56 PM
    I'm just like everyone else here in that I want BB to succeed and keep pace with the droids and apples so the consumer can have that third option.
    04-03-13 08:58 PM
    I personally think it was a great post. The guys just being honest. Not sure why everyone rips on people for posting there experience.

I htought there were some very valid points. Somethings weren't mentioned, but overall it was ver informative! Hope to see you back some day!!
    04-03-13 08:59 PM
    "the Iphone is a glorified app launcher" my girlfriend.
    04-03-13 09:00 PM
    I find it amazing when people say they have done multiple battery pulls on the Z10, I can't fathom it.

I've never had a restart, freeze, or a lock that would require a battery pull.
    The only lag I've had is going into the settings menu for some reason...

Posted via CB10
    elmit22 and theHip like this.
    04-03-13 09:11 PM
    +1000
    Best post on this thread!
    04-03-13 09:16 PM
    I have avoided these threads, for many many many reasons....but someone somewhere has to apply LOGIC to all of this junk.

Of the first 6 points of why the OP returned the device, 33% - 2 out of 6 - are directly related to hardware: camera and screen brightness. All of the other issues raised are of a larger scale than just the device.I'm not knocking those as valid reasons to return the device, but let's be fair, right?

And, being fair, the seven reason listed as potential reasons to return to BlackBerry are ALL (100%) hardware based.

I've had my own Z10 but only a week. I am still getting used to it. It is a big change from what I'm used to, but I am persevering and giving it a fighting chance as a totally new platform, etc. Who knows what the future might bring to any of us and our (first-world problems of) choosing which device best suits our needs.
    04-03-13 09:16 PM
    I cant stand iTunes. It pains me to use with my Underwater Ipod (i love that device more than anything in the world). Pains me!

Good post anyway.
    04-03-13 09:33 PM
    There will be the same rebuttals because people are continuously posting that same observation about their missing apps. Not a single rational or irrational review has been posted since launch that hasn't put that fact front and centre. Not only is this OS completely new (except for the PlayBook) but it was put out by a company that many or most so-called experts had written off as already dead so there's little wonder why developers were hesitant in the beginning. If you take that into account, it's quite incredible that they have as many as they do even now.

But there's another point which I think deserves more attention when this subject comes up and that is what the Z10 has and for which there is no iPhone app. It's quite easy to say "there's an app for that" but actually there is no app that will get you a removable battery or an extra gig of RAM. There's no app that will integrate all your messages or give an iphone any real multitasking. There's no app to add an SD card or NFC or get this phenomenonal keyboard or give you that easy and full access to all your data files. None of those things will ever be downloaded onto any existing iPhone but as the missing BB10 apps are developed (as they certainly are being so) then, obviously, they can easily be downloaded. (Maybe an iPod Touch could fill in until a particular person's BB10 app threshold has been reached. )

Posted via CB10
    John Pawling likes this.
    04-03-13 09:34 PM
37 12