I have a Bold 9930 and am considering a Z10. Google has neutered Google voice on the 9930, and the "HTML5 App" they want us to use is complete garbage.

Is Google Voice on a Z10 (sideloaded, I know) also complete garbage? Can I use it effectively? In other words, can I dial out from my Google number? Can I access my contacts? Does it integrate with the Blackberry 10 address book?

In other words, is it functional?
    04-01-13 05:38 PM
    I've been using the HTML5 app and besides the lack of contact list integration it works great... it's not all that bad

Posted via CB10 with my white chocolate Z10
    04-02-13 12:26 AM
    Hi - have you figured out how to sort or search contacts with the HTML5 app? When I go to contacts, they don't seem to be in any order and I have to manually search for each one.

Alternately, is there a way to go to the dialpad and search contacts there if I am initiating a call or text?

Thanks for any help!
    04-02-13 07:06 AM
    Link to the html 5 app?

Posted via CB10
    04-02-13 08:03 AM
    Hi - have you figured out how to sort or search contacts with the HTML5 app? When I go to contacts, they don't seem to be in any order and I have to manually search for each one.

Alternately, is there a way to go to the dialpad and search contacts there if I am initiating a call or text?

Thanks for any help!
    No, I haven't, and I haven't seen anyone else do so either. indie_b posted that the HTML5 app isn't too bad, but your point is precisely why it is garbage. You can't actually call anyone without first memorizing their phone number from your address book and then typing it in manually. Alternatively, you can scroll through the contacts in a random order. For me, with hundreds of contacts, that takes a long time. It's completely nuts and I will not operate this way. This is enough for me to ditch Blackberry, unless I can justify ditching Google Voice.
    04-02-13 08:41 AM
    The sideload version works great for replying to texts but composing doesn't integrate from the address book which is a pain. The html mobile site works decent enough for calls but to search contacts you have to go to the contacts tab then click menu and find on page to really search for contacts.

Im hoping a dev comes up with a better solution
    04-02-13 08:43 AM
    If Google's services are important to you, and it sounds like at least Google Voice is, you would probably be better off skipping BB10 and going with a Android device.

BlackBerry 10 is a horrible choice for anyone that likes Google's offerings. That is simply the fact the of the matter. I mean, BB10 doesn't even have a YouTube application. Who knows when or if BB10 will get things like Google Voice or Google Maps. There are alternatives, but as the post above points out, the alternative sucks. Even sideloading a Android version isn't a good alternative.

Personally speaking, I am also a big time user of Google Voice. I use Google Voice more than my carrier supplied numbers. BB10 not having it is a deal breaker for me, but it is just one deal breaker on top of a pile of other deal breakers. The most important one being the fact that the Z10 will not work on Straight Talk. At the end of the day, you'll need to look at what BB10 offers and then determine if the hub, peak and flow and swiping is worth losing quite a bit of stuff.
    04-02-13 08:53 AM
    If Google's services are important to you, and it sounds like at least Google Voice is, you would probably be better off skipping BB10 and going with a Android device.

BlackBerry 10 is a horrible choice for anyone that likes Google's offerings. That is simply the fact the of the matter. I mean, BB10 doesn't even have a YouTube application. Who knows when or if BB10 will get things like Google Voice or Google Maps. There are alternatives, but as the post above points out, the alternative sucks. Even sideloading a Android version isn't a good alternative.

Personally speaking, I am also a big time user of Google Voice. I use Google Voice more than my carrier supplied numbers. BB10 not having it is a deal breaker for me, but it is just one deal breaker on top of a pile of other deal breakers. The most important one being the fact that the Z10 will not work on Straight Talk. At the end of the day, you'll need to look at what BB10 offers and then determine if the hub, peak and flow and swiping is worth losing quite a bit of stuff.
    I just posted another thread expressing a similar sentiment. I've asked for alternatives there, but I suspect that Google or no Google, there's no way to use Blackberry 10 as a serious device at this time. At least, not anywhere near what is possible on OS 7 today.
    04-02-13 08:58 AM