For years, I've been able to use my phones with my left hand thanks to the trackball/trackpad, and aside from problems with port, microphone or radio placement, I've thought this approach worked really well. In fact, every phone since the switch from a trackwheel up till now was usable in either hand without a problem, from full QWERTY, SureType, and even SurePress models. It is pretty unlikely it was designed this way just for us southpaws, but it became just one more reason why BlackBerry was the right choice for me whenever I purchased a new phone.

Then along came BB10.

I've been playing with a Z10 for a few weeks now, and I've run into a problem. The intuitive "pull up and to the right" swipe when used in my right hand is amazing, it is a very natural movement and I definitely understand why something as simple as this gesture can be a selling feature. However,the issue is that it becomes a very awkward shoving/stretching movement when done with my left hand. As well, context menus in the hub are built with this same right handed "pull". This awful shoving motion when used in my left hand just doesn't feel, for lack of a better word, "BlackBerry".

It's pretty unlikely BlackBerry is going to redesign this part of their OS for such a small portion of their users, so for now I'm going to wait to see the Q10.

Anyone have any thoughts on this, or run into any other left handed problems with the Z10/BB10?
    04-01-13 09:23 AM
    Wow, I never even thought of that. That sucks...I just tried it out and it's very...awkward. Maybe they'll let you go in and switch it on a future update.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-13 09:27 AM
    I'm left handed & have always held phones in my right hand & type with my left, so no problems here
    04-01-13 09:36 AM
    Sadly, the Q10 will employ the same gestures and will likely not help you with this issue. They might include keyboard shortcuts to open up the side menues though? Like maybe the B (back) key might open up the menu in apps where you would normally swipe to the right, etc. I wouldn't count on it though since system wide shortcuts are unlikely to be implemented in order to give devs more flexibility.
    04-01-13 09:42 AM
    'Good thread....I've never read a discussion about left vs. right handed users. Anyways, I'm with "cloudmaster", I'm left handed but use the phone with my right hand (maybe with aren't true, fully formed left handers!!), so its not an issue.
    I tried with my left hand and I see you point. I have big hands so its not a huge issue, but for others it may be problematic.
    I don't have any solution except practice. We left handers are used to dealing with a right handed majority!!

Good thread
    BlackberryPig and KMB4 like this.
    04-01-13 09:53 AM
    I tend to type with my right hand so it's not a major problem for me.
    It would be very nice addition to be able to swap the swipe out to the left.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-13 09:57 AM
    huh, never really thought about it. I am left-handed but hold it in my right hand.... good point tho!
    04-01-13 09:59 AM
    I'm having a problem as well. I use both hands but I primarily use my left hand l, and it sucks when I long hold something and try to perform simple tasks. My thumb is in the way when I go over the little icons to See what they do... I'm still getting adjusted to all the icons for copy paste edit etc etc. The swipes are too bad.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-13 10:03 AM
    The only issue I have ran into is the peek when using the left hand. I am right handed but I do see how this can be a small issue for left handed users. Thank you for sharing.
    04-01-13 10:05 AM
    I'm a lefty who rarely uses my devices one-handed, but when I do I hold them in my right. Usually I'm two-handed, though.
    04-01-13 10:11 AM
    I use the z10 left handed and have no problems. Occasionally reaching across to the right side menu with my thumb is a bit of a stretch but other than that, no issues. The peak swipe up and push right might feel awkward to someone used to using their right hand but I've always used my left. So to me it feels awkward if I try to use the 'normal' right hand way.

When going two handed for games or Web browsing, I like to use my right hand for maneuvering the touch screen so holding in left hand is natural there too.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10!
    04-01-13 10:11 AM
    For years, I've been able to use my phones with my left hand thanks to the trackball/trackpad, and aside from problems with port, microphone or radio placement, I've thought this approach worked really well. In fact, every phone since the switch from a trackwheel up till now was usable in either hand without a problem, from full QWERTY, SureType, and even SurePress models. It is pretty unlikely it was designed this way just for us southpaws, but it became just one more reason why BlackBerry was the right choice for me whenever I purchased a new phone.

Then along came BB10.

I've been playing with a Z10 for a few weeks now, and I've run into a problem. The intuitive "pull up and to the right" swipe when used in my right hand is amazing, it is a very natural movement and I definitely understand why something as simple as this gesture can be a selling feature. However,the issue is that it becomes a very awkward shoving/stretching movement when done with my left hand. As well, context menus in the hub are built with this same right handed "pull". This awful shoving motion when used in my left hand just doesn't feel, for lack of a better word, "BlackBerry".

It's pretty unlikely BlackBerry is going to redesign this part of their OS for such a small portion of their users, so for now I'm going to wait to see the Q10.

Anyone have any thoughts on this, or run into any other left handed problems with the Z10/BB10?
    Yeah, peek is not very usable with the left hand, and the most common actions are all on the right... Peek is even worse on the Dev Alpha C (which is a Q10 with an ugly case), so I end up using my right hand with BlackBerry 10. It's a shame they don't have a left hand mode.
    04-01-13 10:21 AM
    im left handed and have no issues. but then again, some left handers clip their belt differently, wear their watch on their right hand, etc.. so even us left handers, are used to different things.
    BerryGuy4040 likes this.
    Left-handed dominant here. So far, I haven't really had any problems with it. My hands are larger and the size of the phone feels just right. I get your point though. I'm used to one handed use (did this all the time on my Storm2) so I was very interested in how the experience is on the Z10. The swipe to the right on Peek isn't uncomfortable. The only time I have had some issue was when I wanted to save something I edited or added. As we all know, that "save" button is far up the top right corner. Now that I think of it, that's probably the only time I've had to use both hands on it.
    Last edited by KMB4; 04-01-13 at 10:25 AM. Reason: For got to mention my left-handedness
    ShowMoe likes this.
    I'm right handed but have used the phone left handed on occasion. Haven't found it to be any more or less difficult, tbh.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-13 10:22 AM
    I am left handed, but hold the device in my left hand and type, swipe etc with my right hand. Never thought about it before today. Odd!
    04-01-13 10:23 AM

Then along came BB10.

04-01-13 10:45 AM
    I am right handed but use it in my left hand with no problem. Awkward in my right hand though so I think it's simply a matter of getting used to.
    04-01-13 10:47 AM
    I'm right handed and sometimes use my left hand to use the device. IMO, the ease of use is the same.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-13 10:53 AM
    Only thing I don't like being left handed is the damn charging port is on the left so if it's plugged in and I'm using it then it's in the way.

CB10- BlackBerry Z10
    04-01-13 10:59 AM
    Only thing I don't like being left handed is the damn charging port is on the left so if it's plugged in and I'm using it then it's in the way.

CB10- BlackBerry Z10
    I'm left handed and I agree with you, this is the only issue I find with the Z10. I find I use my right thumb for pretty much everything and it works great. I guess as a left handed person I have gotten used to the right handed world and do not have many issues. I also find the keyboard to be incredibly useful as I use both thumbs three and typing is effortless and so much fun. So at the end of the day, while I had some initial concerns, everything is working well

Posted via CB10
    04-01-13 11:13 AM
    Right handed, but one-handed use is always with my left. The only two issues I've had have been mentioned above - thumb hiding icons/text on the context menu and when plugged in, motion is restricted due to the plug being between my index and middle fingers.

Would be cool if they just made the controls reversible as an option - though with left to right text, peek can't change.

Actually... off topic, but what does peek do for right to left written languages?

Posted via CB10
    04-01-13 11:19 AM
    No problems here with left handed or right handed use of Z10!

Here's something Blackberry may no have shared,...once you have unlock (awaken) the Z10,...you can simply swipe to the Right,..to get to the Hub,..or whatever Hub item was used last.

Case in point, sometimes I gesture-up-and-to-the-right,.and sometimes,...I just gesture up,...and then decide where I want to go from there!

Now,...if this has been noted already,...then just call me late to the party!

Hth.....
    04-01-13 11:22 AM
    I'm left handed and basically I cant peak one handed with my left hand so I have to use the index finger of the right hand. I think they will never have the feature to mirror the peak gesture and it's going to be worse on the Q10 due to smaller size. Basically no full one hand usage for left hand people.
    04-01-13 11:40 AM
    Functionally ambidextrous here, I use the zed ten with both hands, left hand or right hand without much problems.

Only (minor issue) is the placement of the USB/HDMI ports can be annoying.
    04-01-13 11:46 AM
51 123