I'm a longtime lurker and occasional responder on CB. This is my first-ever thread!

I've been reading the threads on the roadmap rumors. In my humble opinion, there's too much emphasis on hardware - "the next device" when Z10 is barely out of the gate and Q10 not even released - and not enough on intangibles, such as extensibility and ecosystems, which will keep users hooked whatever BB device they happen to have at the moment.

As a former (laid-off) RIM employee, I'm reasonably proficient with technology but not a hard-core geek and I have no desire to spend hours side-loading or on workarounds for basic functions that aren't there. I've known or seen many people outside the company who have held onto their old BB devices as long as 4 or 5 years. They are extremely durable and functional, even with dated features. There hasn't been the need to upgrade as often as users on other platforms whose phones have stopped working well or broken after the first fall.

So what will keep people hooked to BB, no matter what device they have? Here's my personal wishlist.

PLAYBOOK / TABLET
    I read there are about 2M PB owners - not a huge, but a respectable number. More to the point is that, even at 2 years old, it's still a great device. BB needs to keep giving it love and focus.
    - Release a BB10 version optimized for PB's 1-GB RAM limitation
    - Bring BBM to PB - still not there after 2 years! (a real miss)
    - Improve wireless transfer of files/sync between PB and laptops so cables aren't needed
    - Continue bringing much needed apps to PB, especially Skype.
    - Give users options to free up memory themselves. A 16-Gig PB fills up quickly and once it does, this limits its usability.

FUTURE TABLETS
    I feel strongly that BB needs to stay in the tablet space because the smartphone + tablet combo is fantastic. Each has something the other doesn't.
    - Improve and extend Bridging capability
    - Removable battery and memory
    - Cross-platform chat and videochat

ALL DEVICES
    - Relentless focus on enriching content through apps and partnerships
    - Strategic new services (whether homegrown or with partners) that offer something new, not playing catch-up with other platforms, such as:
    - Social networking apps that have the potential to become viral (like BBM once did) like a collaborative workspace / whiteboard that can be shared privately or publicly
    - Social gaming - release a fantastic game that can be played only on BBM!
    - Richer mapping and location-based services/apps
    - Automotive apps that capitalize on QNX's presence in many car systems
    - Group videoconferencing

What would be on your wishlist, which hasn't already been discussed a thousand times?
    Last edited by DawnMills; 03-29-13 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Typos
    R Field likes this.
    03-29-13 09:08 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry Dawn!

I have long wished that BlackBerry would bring simple multiplayer gaming to BBM. Not necessarily anything graphic intensive but very simple viral games like Connect Four, Tic tac Toe, Hangman or Battleships. Games where I could send out an invite to a BBM contact and have it open and hosted within BBM itself - ideally tied into the Games app.
    03-31-13 08:15 PM