Just wondering what people's opinion of the Maps and Navigation apps are, couldn't find any running threads.

I can't find a way to start Navigation directly.
    You fire up Maps, look for an address, then say you want to Navigate there, which opens up another sub frame in the Maps active frame which allows you to hit start Navigation.
    All in all, not the smoothest or shortest process.

Having said that, the Maps do seem fairly comprehensive when I've used them, and the guidance is pretty good.

No transit is a major loss, which is sad.

The other big issue is, when you put in a postcode, it won't let you actually navigate to that postcode, as far as I can tell.
    It will search it's database for POIs registered with that postcode. If it can't find one it will offer POIs it knows with similar postcodes, which could be a long way away.

They really need to update this to accept any postcode like a proper satnav.

It's a very good start though, wish they'd commit to transit features in the future.
    03-29-13 05:07 PM
    Is there any way to keep the screen from going black when using the map? I have tried to use it a half dozen times already & whenever I start it the screen goes black depending on the time of my dimmer. I up it to 5 mins just so I dont have to press the screen as often, but if it is being used then it shouldnt be timing out.
    07-28-13 01:22 PM
    I think it's done that way to give you options to plan/view the chosen route. I actually like viewing it before jumping directly into nav. waze is the same way, except it times out and uses the default route if you don't make a change. no transit is a big hit and searching landmarks could be more precise (more dependant on my current location instead of what seems like random places).

otherwise, it does what I need it to. the recent searches / history is a big plus. that was one of the major annoyances I had with google maps on my droid. also, the traffic integration is awesome and the nav directions are spot on (always tells me to turn within half a block). I even had a bookmarked link to google maps' mobile site when I first got the z10, but because I used bb maps so much instead, I deleted the bookmark.
    07-28-13 02:02 PM
    Mine on the Q10 seems to work pretty good, except the ETA is way off. For a 3 mile trip it will start off saying it's a 24 minute drive. Is there any way to adjust the setting for each type of road? Some GPS units you can set the speed for rural (45MPH, etc) Interstate (65 or 70 MPH, etc). It seems like mine is set for 15 MPH on rural roads...or maybe it's just not locking in good.
    07-28-13 04:33 PM