I've been away from Blackberry for a few years, using Android. But after seeing and using the Z10 I want to come back! I originally left because BB email was killing me, I couldn't get it to work the way I needed.

My buddy has given me his z10 to use while he's away this weekend and I still seem to have similar email issues. I've tried searching the web and Crackberry but get too much conflicting information. My needs are modest and I'm hoping someone can tell me how to achieve the following

1) Get instant Gmail. If I send an email from another account (Yahoo) to my Gmail it doesn't arrive instantly or quickly on the Z10. It takes around 10-15 minutes. How can I setup Gmail to arrive as quickly as it does on Android?

2) I have 3 unread emails in my Gmail inbox. Only one of these appears on the Z10. The email is just in the main inbox, nothing special about them, no labels added. Is this a known issue with Gmail and the Z10?

3) I have my work Exchange setup using Activesync. Email arrives instantly, a good second before it hits my Android phone, so that's great but it doesn't synchronize. If I delete an email on the Z10 it never deletes from my Outlook or Webmail inbox. Can the Z10 do that?

Thanks! Really, other than trying to get email working I think the Z10 is awesome!
    03-29-13 08:14 AM
    I'm sure someone will be able to answer the other questions. But, I didn't think GMail had an option for instant delivery. Albeit, mine does seem to delivery rather quickly.
    Maybe it has an issue to do with which choice you selected when you added the GMail account...

PS: I edited the title of the thread, too.
    03-29-13 08:26 AM
    1. I use IMAP on Gmail. It received emails very fast. It sounds like the email client is set up for POP3.

2. Gmail and POP is kind of funky in my experience. IMAP should clear that up. Otherwise, I don't know.

3. I use EAS for my Google Apps for Business account and I have a consumer Outlook.com account. If I delete from the outlook account on the Z10, it deletes from the Outlook account, with a minimal delay. If I delete from the G-apps account, it is almost instantaneous.
    jcarlos100 and jadenmiko like this.
    03-29-13 08:28 AM
    1) Delete and readd your Gmail account. If it is configured with default settings, there should be an option for "Push" in account settings. This results in INSTANT email. Not 1 minute, not 30 seconds, no. You should be getting instant emails. If you have a poor wifi connection that keeps cutting, that could be the reason for the delay.

2) Are the 2 emails older than 30 days?

3) it most certainly should be doing that! I'm not sure what the issue is with your account specifically, but maybe you could try deleting and readding it? Also, I don't think deleting works with push. It uses the backup sync time, which is 15 minutes, I believe.
    03-29-13 08:34 AM
    In my experience, Gmail set up via IMAP will never be as fast as Android's Gmail app's push notifications. For me, it's not horribly much longer, but there is a noticeable delay.

I also have a Google Apps account set up via EAS and it's much much quicker and more reliable. That said, it's a moot point since you can't set up Gmail as Exchange without a paid Google Apps account...

As for labels and other Gmail specific functinlonality...I haven't found much support for it as of yet like there is on older versions of BBOS. You can move messages to "folders" though...which is essentially labels. I really do hope Google can work with BlackBerry to integrate more Gmail functionality into the stock email experience.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-13 08:38 AM
    One thing I am having trouble with is syncing contacts to gmail. For example, when I am on my computer and I begin typing an email address that I have previously sent an email to, the contact comes right up and I click on it. On my Z10, not only do none of the email addresses from my computer show up but even email addresses that I have already sent emails to on my Z10 don't show up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have tried canceling and resyncing Gmail contacts on my phone and that did not work.
    03-29-13 08:58 AM
    GmailBrowser, a BB10 app with lock, allows you to get gmail notifications max 1 min. later on your BB. You can then read your gmails in nice Gmail Web UI inside GmailBrowser.
    (The max one minute notification requires you to copy a script from GmaiBrowser web page and copy it in your Google account)
    03-29-13 11:37 PM
    Well, I managed to get everything working. Gmail push is pretty much instant and I'm seeing all email for the last 30 days. Calendar and Contact are syncing and Exchange (email, contacts, calendar) is working nicely too.

Syncing seems to take around 15 minutes but it does work. If I delete or change something on my Z10 or computer the data syncs the other way fine and 15 minutes is not a big deal to me.

The last time I really used a BlackBerry, a few years ago, I couldn't get any of this to work right. After doing some reading and setup it was a breeze. The beauty of the Z10 aside, I'm happy BlackBerry ditched BIS in OS 10, that seems to have fixed all the old issues I had with previous BB devices.
    03-30-13 10:43 AM