Hello!

So I just loaded a movie trailer on my phone in .mp4 format and tried to play it, but it spits back the error:

This file contains an unsupported media format
    Then when I connect it wirelessly to my Samsung 8000 it plays it very well.

Any way to fix this?

Thanks
    Fup likes this.
    03-28-13 10:23 PM
    Maybe a corrupted file?

My device plays them fine.
    03-28-13 10:33 PM
    Mine plays them fine too... Try deleting and reloading. If that doesn't work, try to convert the file into a different format. If that still doesn't work, then its corrupt and youll have to download your movie all over again from a different source.
    03-28-13 10:48 PM
    Was the video saved on the SD card? I found that my mp4s would not play until I formatted the SD card in the Z10.
    03-28-13 10:53 PM
    Mine plays them fine too... Try deleting and reloading. If that doesn't work, try to convert the file into a different format. If that still doesn't work, then its corrupt and youll have to download your movie all over again from a different source.
    Hmm i have another set of mp4 videos and they play perfectly fine. Must be corrupt i guess. I'll mess around with it. Thank you!
    03-28-13 10:54 PM
    I loaded a movie on my Z10 and started watching it. It played fine at first and then it started lagging, i.e. the sound did not match the picture. Tried another movie and the same thing happened. I then loaded the exact movie on my PlayBook and that played it fine without any delays. Wondering what might be the problem here?

Posted via CB10
    04-02-13 07:39 PM
    I haven't had trouble with mp4...however I did try to load an avi file from my hd video camera and the video was sped up on my z10 but plays normally in my computer. I then converted it go mp4 and it played fine...anyone else had issues with avi files?
    04-02-13 07:45 PM
    The video I loaded onto my Z10 is an mp4, runs fine on my computer, runs fine on my PlayBook but major delays on my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-13 07:47 PM
    I loaded it onto my SanDisk Class 10 Micro SD card, is it possible that the phone doesn't render the video from the SD card fast enough?

Posted via CB10
    04-02-13 07:52 PM
    Hello!

Thanks
    funny.

I encode all my rips in mp4. They play fine on my z10

however, using the z10 as a media server...when I try to play any video on my ps3 (mp4 rips) it errors as corrupt data.

Keep in mind these are mp4s that will play fine on the ps3 as a file or streamed via ps3 media server or windows

its driving me nuts right now.
    04-02-13 07:54 PM
    HI. Just did some mp3s and an mp4, through bluetooth and all worked out well!
    04-12-13 04:38 PM
    I play mp4 just fine. That's odd

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 04:41 PM
    You are right..It doesn't play MP4..I tried everything it still doesn't play..I receive the same message. No problem with other formats.
    01-06-14 02:13 AM
    The audio codec is unsupported by BB10. Most mp4 should play fine such as a ripped youtube video but if it has some funny audio codec of the slightest sort, bb10 will pout for not giving its bottle.

Making breakfast on the back of my Z10
    01-06-14 05:56 AM
    would downloading a different player help? VLC?
    10-27-15 12:16 PM
    Hello!

So I just loaded a movie trailer on my phone in .mp4 format and tried to play it, but it spits back the error:

Any way to fix this?

Thanks
    You're not alone. This is what I did

Download Xmedia Recode

Convert the video to matroska video. Mkv, and transfer that file to your device from your pc. Works great, and a lot of other android devices are in the same boat. Mp4 isn't recognized for some reason

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 02:49 PM
    Tons of codecs out there, these are the ones supported natively on most BB10 phones.

Can't Play .mp4 on Z10 - Why?-img_20151028_083109.png

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 07:32 PM
    Z10 won't play 1080p or larger res videos even though they're. mp4

Posted via CB10
    11-02-15 04:08 AM
    mp4 is a container format, for the record, so is AVI, MKV, etc - they "contain" audio and video streams inside the main file itself - mp4 is not a video format which most people incorrectly identify it as. There are two primary reasons that an mp4 "video" file will not play on a BB10 device which are:

1) the audio stream inside the container isn't something that can be decoded for content natively by the BB10 native decoders
    2) the video stream inside the container isn't something that can be decoded for content natively by the BB10 native decoders

Having said that, the main and most popular reason that you can't play a given mp4 "video" file is because of the audio codec as the BB10 native decoders (described in the image posted above) cover almost all the most popular video compression codecs. But the audio compression codecs are where the problems are coming from more often than not.

Sometimes you'll encounter an mp4 file that has an audio stream using the AC3 or DTS audio codecs (used for surround sound tracks with 5.1, 7.1, or even more channels) and the BB10 native audio decoders can't handle such things - when you attempt to play a file that has such an audio stream, it will simply fail to decode the mp4 itself and you get nowhere. If you use some other type of media player (not the native BB10 video player) you may get it to play the video content without audio probably but, considering that's not much fun at all then it's a waste of time in the long run.

Not every media player can handle the AC3 or DTS audio streams, sometimes a plugin is available to add that capability to the media player. I use MX Player Pro (purchased long ago) from the Google Play Market - yes it's an Android app and I do have Google Play Services and the Play Store installed on my Z10. MX Player Pro even works with the hardware acceleration to lessen the burden on the CPU when playing videos (it passes off the decoding to the GPU) but even that can't play AC3 or DTS audio streams natively - there are plugins available for it that allows for decoding such streams, however.

Most likely the OP's mp4 file has or had an incompatible audio stream, least that's my take on it. If you open the file in Windows or Linux or OSX, you can then take a look at the properties of the file and dig into the audio and video stream codecs to see what's going on after which you'd know for sure if it's the audio stream that's preventing the playback.

EDIT:
    Ack, just realized how old this thread actually is, sorry to go necro on it even in spite of the recent posts the past few days.
    11-02-15 08:17 PM
    Recently I got my first used BlackBerry Z10, a gift from my dear friend. Yeap, the video playback seem to be broken. Due to the used unit, I have decided to do soft factory reset. The BlackBerry OS on the factory form is 10.3.1.+. After an update version to 10.3.2.+ my video playback seem back to expected.

Youtube test went good and even video sent from friend via IM playback is nicely streams.

My suggestion : Try a OS update. Peace!

Posted via CB10
    Attached Thumbnails Can't Play .mp4 on Z10 - Why?-img_20151127_190416.png  
    11-27-15 02:06 PM
    Which the Mx player version support blackberry z10
    05-25-18 06:01 PM
    Use your software logging tool, and have a read of whats on your device. Just need a snapshot and you don't have to upload it. The Setting is in the Security options. Another file type might be the way to go, I have had luck by serving the files to my phone before.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-18 06:58 PM