BlackBerry American consumer market analysis: not crucial to success | BGR

THE BEST NEWS FOR BLACKBERRY: ITS SUCCESS MAY NOT HINGE ON THE AMERICAN MARKET

Everything we�ve seen so far suggests that AT&T (T) has put absolutely no effort into marketing the BlackBerry (BBRY) Z10 to its customers or has even trained its retail staff how to talk about the benefits of the Z10. But there�s some good news for BlackBerry out of all this � it made not even need the American consumer market to thrive. Barron�s points us to a new note from*Bernstein Research analyst Pierre Ferragu, who says that the slow start on AT&T shouldn�t derail BlackBerry�s fortunes long-term because �BlackBerry isn�t a U.S. story anymore.�

Ferragu explains that the United States �made up less than 20% of Blackberry�s revenues last quarter, and just 11% of shipments,� meaning the company has come to rely on other markets besides the U.S. for the vast majority of its income. Because of this, Ferragu says that he�s �actually not surprised initial traction for the new platform is limited there.�

Ferragu also thinks that BlackBerry�s loyal user base should help it tremendously in its early launch period since the Z10 represents their first change to upgrade their devices in more than a year.

�We recognise rapid share losses for BlackBerry in corporate, as �Bring Your Own Device� becomes the norm,� he writes. �But the brand still benefits from a significant user base equipped with aging smartphones.�
    SMocek and rickkel like this.
    03-27-13 09:48 PM
    lool im shocked myself
    03-27-13 09:51 PM
    that's far from a ringing endorsement...
    schmeat, Acumenight and richardat like this.
    03-27-13 09:53 PM
    who woulda thunk it, the USA thinks their the only people in the world, yet the rest of the world accounted for more sales to a company that they have been calling gone for more then 2 years now

i'm sorry but the USA id full or media drones, believing everythign they hear or read in the news, well guess what the world doesn't need you
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    03-27-13 09:57 PM
    fianlly you all get it.......amercia is not the center of the world
    03-27-13 10:09 PM
    Kevin broke them in NEW YORK
    Knightcrawler likes this.
    03-27-13 10:13 PM
    I love America but it's a big world out there. BlackBerry will be fine even if it does not get love in the U.S. India and China, sounds good to me.

BlackBerry Z10-Go Leafs Go
    03-27-13 10:17 PM
    I can see the news now.

BlackBerry-a billion sold.

03-27-13 10:22 PM
    Omg are we dreaming? When did they finally realize that the US is not the center of the world =)

No offense to our fellow US crackberry lovers

Posted via CB10
    03-27-13 10:28 PM
    Omg are we dreaming? When did they finally realize that the US is not the center of the world =)

No offense to our fellow US crackberry lovers

Posted via CB10
    Thanks. Because I was getting slightly offended.

I will do what I can to make sure a Q10 is purchased here in the States. Impatiently waiting....
    03-27-13 10:40 PM
    LOL at that first comment
    03-27-13 11:02 PM
    who woulda thunk it, the USA thinks their the only people in the world, yet the rest of the world accounted for more sales to a company that they have been calling gone for more then 2 years now
    I'm fairly certain that if U.S. citizens thought they were the only people in the world the defense budget would be a lot smaller.

i'm sorry but the USA id full or media drones, believing everythign they hear or read in the news, well guess what the world doesn't need you
    Good point. Also on the list of things the world doesn't need: stereotypes, people that make assumptions about entire countries, and anti-nationalism.
    03-27-13 11:05 PM
    BGR tends to alternate between positive and negative reports. Take all with a grain of salt...
    peter9477 and Bobcat665 like this.
    03-27-13 11:08 PM
    The US makes up 11 pct of shipments but almost 20 pct of revenue. One way to look at it is to say that BB will be fine without the US. Another way is to see that BB makes more money per device in the US than it does in the rest of the world.

Which is to say, if the US segment of BB sales fell to 5.5pct, their revenue would fall by almost 10%. Hardly good news.
    03-27-13 11:15 PM
    it is more of a realization of the facts than a positive article.

these FACTS have been out for a long time and people keep ignoring them and saying everything hinges on US. There are MANY more people OUTSIDE of the US and THEY are buying BB. The US is very important, but it is becoming less so every month
    Chris Marsch likes this.
    03-27-13 11:16 PM
    It's no secret that like the USA, many of its citizens have a spending problem.

So any company would be WISE to try to appeal to the American consumer who is probably living with credit card debt anyways, so what's another few hundred on a smartphone? "Charge it!"

As for the BGR article, Boy Genius himself, Jonathan S. Geller, will be on CNBC tomorrow morning to talk about $BBRY's earnings report. Why they have him, I have no idea, as having Jonathan on to talk about BlackBerry would be like having Bill O'Reilly on your show to talk about the job President Obama is doing, or vice versa.

I'm sure the article the OP brings up is just so BGR can troll BlackBerry hard all day tomorrow, regardless of what BlackBerry's actual earnings report means. Just you wait!
    Last edited by SK122387; 03-27-13 at 11:38 PM.
    Bobcat665 likes this.
    03-27-13 11:23 PM
    I thought we already established that...

Post via CB10
    03-27-13 11:27 PM
    Posted via CB10
    03-27-13 11:29 PM
    BGR tends to alternate between positive and negative reports. Take all with a grain of salt...
    THANK YOU.

CB fanboys: OMG!!! WTH???? BGR said something positive??!?!!

CB fanboys the next week: IDIOTS AT BGR!!! ALWAYS negative and bashing. CONSPIRACY!!!

CB fanboys the week after: WTF???! A POSITIVE report from BGR??!

PS. Most of these BGR positive/negatives are driven by analysts positive/negative releases....they are simply delivering the message.
    03-28-13 02:53 AM
    Note:

Despite what anti-American jingoism would motivate some to believe, the US market is absolutely vital. You know who else thinks so? Heins.

BGR made a mistake here.....sure, it's true...they don't need the US if they want to THRIVE like they were before. That kind of thriving BB can do without!

The truth is that BB could survive relying on sales outside the US, but they won't be marquee players, or in the big leagues without regaining impact in the US. (the one exception being if you could make it big in a place like China with upper - end phones....that would definitely be sufficient to replace the US)
    03-28-13 03:01 AM
    Yep....and profits have just soared beyond the heavens.
    03-28-13 03:03 AM
    fianlly you all get it.......amercia is not the center of the world

We may not be the center of the earth for BB but we would make a HUGE difference if our corporate world would jump back on the BB bandwagon, but I do not see that happening. BB will have to mostly depend on the loyal fan base. The days where the company replaced hardware at a rapid pace is over. Most are now going to support multiple platforms. Blackberry will have to earn it way back into relevance.
    03-28-13 03:18 AM
    that's far from a ringing endorsement...
    True ... but by BGR standards its as good as one.
    03-28-13 04:24 AM
    I don't know what you guys are talking about but yes, the US is the center of it all. All other countries revolve around the US. This goes for the sun as well and the rest of time and space. Some people simply don't grasp this notion lol
    CDM76 likes this.
    03-28-13 07:04 AM
    I love America but it's a big world out there. BlackBerry will be fine even if it does not get love in the U.S. India and China, sounds good to me.

Are you so sure? You have to decide what you want Blackberry to become. If it is 4th place at best (yes, I would throw it behind Windows Phone), then have at trying to turn this around without any US buy in.

It is not about America being the center of the universe, the same can be said that Blackberry cannot succeed in the US, but not Europe and still be the company they want to become. For all the anti-American sentiment on this board, you guys come off more narrow-minded than anyone.

How is that company doing?
    03-28-13 07:05 AM
53 123