I went into a T-mobile store today and confirmed my findings with a retention rep after.

T-mobile is no longer offering upgrades on long term contracts at a discounted rate.

To add insult to injury if you would like to get a z10 and go to their new non contract plans you pay full price for the phone + $100 account migration fee.

After doing the math with the manager on cost comparison between staying with T-mobile or going to Verizon with my wife he agreed that the cost will be higher to stay on T-mobile because of the phone prices.

Just so every one understands how much of a difference this is I will do the math. Keep in mind I change my phones out about 1 time per year. If you hold onto your phone for 2 the cost may be similar.

Staying On T-Mobile

Plan cost $60 per month * 12 months = $720 (Plan includes unlimited talk / text / 2g data)
    Phone Cost $200 down + $20 / month * 24 months = $680
    Migration fee $100
    Total cost for 1 year of service and phone $1500
    Plus wife's Iphone5 and service for 1 year. $1330
    Total $2830

Moving to Verizion with wife

Plan cost $150 per month * 12 months = $1800 (Plan includes unlimited talk / text / 4g data)
    Wifes phone cost $250
    My Z10 Phone cost $199
    Cancellation Fee from T-mobile $200
    Total $2499

Saving over T-mobile $330 over the year.

T-Mobile argued my wife should should go to T-mobile when they offer Iphone

Plan cost $100 per month * 12 months = $1200 (Plan includes unlimited talk / text / 4g data)
    Phone Cost $200 down + $20 / month * 24 months = $680 * 2 = $1360
    Migration fee $100
    Cancellation Fee from Verizion $350
    Total $3010

Cost of Moving wife to T-mobile $510 over the year.

Why should anyone stay?
    03-25-13 03:53 PM
    Also keep in mind the additional cost every time you want to upgrade phones. Every time you buy a phone off upgrade you spend $400-$500 more.
    03-25-13 03:58 PM
    I am not sure about your discussion. How will this effect my situation:

So, there are no price incentives on phones for old customers?
    Or, are there dis-incentives for folk that often ask for upgrade phones?
    Last edited by mandony; 04-01-13 at 08:16 AM.
    03-25-13 04:23 PM
    Yeah, T-mo is rolling the Z10 out tomorrow. The store next to my work already has mine, but cant give it to me till tomorrow. Very frustrating, but got to play with the demo unit for a bit. Cant wait.
    03-25-13 04:35 PM
    OP, you would've been charged a $100 fee because you must have been 12-15 months into your contract. If you were over 18 months in, there would be no migration fee.
    pantlesspenguin and SK122387 like this.
    03-25-13 04:37 PM
    @mandony there are no price incentives for anyone. Not new customers not old customers. No one. Also if you stay on your current plan they will charge you an additional $10 per month. I am on the same plan as you. That's what they told me both store manager and customer retention rep.

I recommend you evaluate your monthly costs, how often you change phone, and what you need from your data services. Prior to making a decision.

@raino I can live with a $100 migration fee, but as a T-mobile customer for 11 years there absolutely 0 incentive for me to stay with this carrier.

Not only higher cost but the Manager stated the LTE roll out has been postponed
    03-25-13 04:46 PM
    I feel you. I'm in a grandfathered family plan myself, and if I switch, not only will I lose my subsidies, I will also be paying more compared to what I pay for three lines today.
    03-25-13 04:56 PM
    @mandony there are no price incentives for anyone. Not new customers not old customers. No one. Also if you stay on your current plan they will charge you an additional $10 per month. I am on the same plan as you. That's what they told me both store manager and customer retention rep.

I recommend you evaluate your monthly costs, how often you change phone, and what you need from your data services. Prior to making a decision.

@raino I can live with a $100 migration fee, but as a T-mobile customer for 11 years there absolutely 0 incentive for me to stay with this carrier.

Not only higher cost but the Manager stated the LTE roll out has been postponed
    I've been singing this song ever since the prices came out. The main issue becomes that there is NO reason to buy a phone directly from tmobile anymore. I may as wel buy a brand new in box z10 from eBay, rather than pay $150+ for what tmobile believe the price should be. And there's zero chance I switch to sprint/AT&T as I need wifi calling
    03-25-13 05:06 PM
    I've been singing this song ever since the prices came out. The main issue becomes that there is NO reason to buy a phone directly from tmobile anymore. I may as wel buy a brand new in box z10 from eBay, rather than pay $150+ for what tmobile believe the price should be. And there's zero chance I switch to sprint/AT&T as I need wifi calling
    Well yeah...TMO's not requiring you to buy your phone from them. You can buy it anywhere you want.

Which makes me wonder...if there's no contract, is there an ETF? How will they keep people from getting the Z10 for $199.99 down and bolting a month later?
    redk likes this.
    03-25-13 05:16 PM
    Well yeah...TMO's not requiring you to buy your phone from them. You can buy it anywhere you want.

Which makes me wonder...if there's no contract, is there an ETF? How will they keep people from getting the Z10 for $199.99 down and bolting a month later?
    you still have to agree to a 2 year contract from what i have read and been told
    03-25-13 07:07 PM
    you still have to agree to a 2 year contract from what i have read and been told
    No no no...no contracts anymore!
    03-25-13 07:12 PM

There's no ETF. If you leave T-Mobile owing a balance on the phone, your account will be sent to credit and collections, your credit file will take a hit and the phone will be blacklisted so that it can't be used on T-Mobile anymore. I'm unsure if the blacklist carries over to other carriers.

Some people don't care about these things, but it's really no different from going to a traditional carrier and getting a subsidized phone, then leaving without paying the ETF.
    raino likes this.
    03-25-13 07:22 PM
    There's no ETF. If you leave T-Mobile owing a balance on the phone, your account will be sent to credit and collections, your credit file will take a hit and the phone will be blacklisted so that it can't be used on T-Mobile anymore. I'm unsure if the blacklist carries over to other carriers.

Some people don't care about these things, but it's really no different from going to a traditional carrier and getting a subsidized phone, then leaving without paying the ETF.
    That's what I thought. And to answer your question, yes--the blacklist does carry over. U.S. carriers share their blacklists.
    03-25-13 08:59 PM
    I was looking at T-Mobile prices today but think I will just end up staying with AT&T. I really wanted to give T-Mobile a chance but their new prices just make no sense. They charge monthly to have the phone and it's still a 2-year contract.

What are they thinking?
    03-25-13 10:08 PM
    I've been on T-mobile for about 7 years now the last 3 have been on the Value Plans. I was not super exceited about the non sibsidized phones, bt after I realized the savings on the per month cost. I was pretty happy about the difference. Right now I pay 110.00 a month for 4 lines 3 of them with 2GB Unlimited plans. If I need a new phone I pay for it in full and I don't have to worry about ETF's or being eligibe for an upgrade. I get the phone I want when I want and I pretty much save a lot of money in the long run. If I was to go for a new phone every year that may nto be as beneficial, but over 16-24 months it does work out considerably better.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    03-25-13 10:18 PM
    I was looking at T-Mobile prices today but think I will just end up staying with AT&T. I really wanted to give T-Mobile a chance but their new prices just make no sense. They charge monthly to have the phone and it's still a 2-year contract.

What are they thinking?
    Not sure where you saw a two year contract. Those are gone with the new Value plans.
    03-25-13 10:32 PM
    I guess we all have to wait to see what price T-mobile puts on the Z10. If they stick to AT&Ts price of $549.99 (non-contract price), that is still the cheapest you can buy it at right? Or does anybody know a cheaper price for a new Z-10?
    03-25-13 11:35 PM
    I just checked out the Simple plan on T-Mobile and it looks good. $50 for first line and $30 for the second.

80 x 12=960 for 2 lines. 960 + 680 + 100 = 1920.
    03-25-13 11:49 PM
    Not sure where you saw a two year contract. Those are gone with the new Value plans.
    The two years is the length of time to pay for the phone.
    03-25-13 11:51 PM
    Oh...I think I get it: he meant that you're tied to them for 2 years because of the phone payments. But you can pay the phone off any time, and you don't even need to be getting service through them, technically speaking.
    Last edited by raino; 03-26-13 at 12:03 AM. Reason: critical thinking
    03-26-13 12:01 AM
    Only certain phones can be used on certain carriers att only compatible with tmobile in major carriers and you have to jail break the phone on top of that, if you were to try this with verizon you would not be able to connect with any other carriers that I know of. Only the att unlocked can be used on tmobile that's what I did bought a second hand torch from a former att customer jail broke it and took it to t mobile I also took a risk cause they say that not all phones are recognized
    03-26-13 12:30 AM
    You are not adding the 10 - 20 per line for data. Unless you use less than 500mb per month.

I just checked out the Simple plan on T-Mobile and it looks good. $50 for first line and $30 for the second.

80 x 12=960 for 2 lines. 960 + 680 + 100 = 1920.
    03-26-13 01:14 AM
    Only certain phones can be used on certain carriers att only compatible with tmobile in major carriers and you have to jail break the phone on top of that, if you were to try this with verizon you would not be able to connect with any other carriers that I know of. Only the att unlocked can be used on tmobile that's what I did bought a second hand torch from a former att customer jail broke it and took it to t mobile I also took a risk cause they say that not all phones are recognized
    You must be new.

1. This thread is NOT about using a phone from another carrier. That makes your post "off topic".
    2. We all know what phones work on T-Mobile.
    3. An iPhone can be jailbroken. Blackberrys cannot be jailbroken.

Carry on.
    raino likes this.
    03-26-13 01:23 AM
    Be careful, if you buy the phone second hand you probably won't get the warranty (unless they also sell you the original sales receipt, on paper that's always required but I don't know if they always ask to see it). With the new screen, if the glass cracks you won't be able to use it at all because the digitizer is fused with the glass, unlike in other phones where it's a layer under the glass.
    03-26-13 07:24 AM
    Well now that I see the phone is only $99 down it doesn't seem bad. I thought it would be $199.
    03-26-13 09:22 AM
53 123