My brother and I both use BlackBerry phones for many years. We are both excited for BB10. While I am still holding to my 9900 and waiting for Q10 in US, he got a Z10 from Canada last month. Not sure how many people own a Z10 in China. He is one of them.

Unfortunately, those cases for Z10 are not available in China. He just locked the phone and put it in the pocket. Then, probably after too much beer, because it was a weekend, the phone picked an email and replied to all automatically. This bothered him a lot. I placed an order to CrackBerry shop for him immediately. But the battery is out of stock. It will take a while for him to receive the case (and the battery).

I don't have a Z10, so I can not give him any suggestions. Any suggestions from the fine people out there in Crackberry? What is the magic to make sure that the screen is indeed locked, without a case?
    marts1x likes this.
    03-25-13 12:14 PM
    I would just password protect it. No accidents then unless it's intentional.

You can lock the screen by pushing the top button but a password would be the best failsafe.
    howarmat likes this.
    03-25-13 12:18 PM
    Yeah, it a password on it

Posted via CB10
    03-25-13 12:42 PM
    Make sense. I will ask him if he has password protect. In my 9900, I do have a password. Whenever I put the phone aside, I always push the top button. I assume BB10 works in the same way? Thank you!!!
    03-25-13 12:52 PM
    Make sense. I will ask him if he has password protect. In my 9900, I do have a password. Whenever I put the phone aside, I always push the top button. I assume BB10 works in the same way? Thank you!!!
    The touchscreen on the z10 is sensitive, and since it can be woken up by swiping, you can turn the phone off from the top button, but any swipe between the bezel and screen will wake the device, even in your pocket.
    03-25-13 12:59 PM
    The touchscreen on the z10 is sensitive, and since it can be woken up by swiping, you can turn the phone off from the top button, but any swipe between the bezel and screen will wake the device, even in your pocket.
    You can also turn off the swipe to unlock feature and just use the lock button. Not quite as slick, but harder to accidentally trigger.
    03-25-13 03:37 PM
    You can also turn off the swipe to unlock feature and just use the lock button. Not quite as slick, but harder to accidentally trigger.
    This sounds like a good solution, till the case is delivered. I assume you can turn the swipe off in Options? Thanks so much!
    03-25-13 04:03 PM
    My brother's Z10 tried to reply emails automatically - for 4 times so far. For once, it was caught doing that on a meeting table. Several people in the meeting witnessed that.

Now, either the phone is defective, or it is affected by virus.

Is there an antivirus app for BB10 at all?
    03-26-13 07:01 PM
    If the phone starts to send emails automatically on a table, it is kind of scary. My brother deleted all email accounts.

Did anybody ever heard anything like this for Z10?

This is not good at all.
    03-26-13 10:53 PM
    That sounds strange for sure. Have not seen any threads posting this problem. Hopefully someone can steer you in the right direction on this site?

Posted via CB10
    03-26-13 11:12 PM
    Well, my phone decided to link a new number (not actually new, I just haven't been able to import contacts from a vcf) to a facebook contact and then call her. Whooops turned off the swipe to unlock feature. Doesn't the swipe to unlock feature drain more battery as the screen will have to be powered all the time?
    03-26-13 11:43 PM
    Considering China and hacked are in the same subject, I'd say all is working as intended.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-13 12:34 AM
    [QUOTE=xBURK;8202879]That sounds strange for sure. Have not seen any threads posting this problem. Hopefully someone can steer you in the right direction on this site? ]

It is good sign that nobody else seem to have the same issue. Thanks!
    03-27-13 05:10 AM
    At this stage, I tend to agree the Z10 might have been hacked by some third party app. I think it is for a good reason that Z10 is not targeted for Chinese market. However, for people in Singapore, Hong Kong and Taiwan, the chance is that they might use Chinese App. Hope we can provide some observations in that region for reference.

I will ask my brother to do the following and then check if it makes the issue goes away:

- Re-set the phone to factory default
    - Stop granting "Trust Status" to any Chinese App and any side loaded App
    - Stop granting permission to use "personal information", "Connectivity", and "Advanced Capabilities" to any Chinese App and any side loaded App, whenever possible.
    - Try to buy a VPN services if possible.

I use 9900 provided by my US company, with VPN/BES/BIS. I do use one or two Chinese App such as WeChat, but I do not give them "Trust" Status. Each time I run WeChat, I do un-check the options to their request to permission to personal information, connectivity and advanced capabilities. It works well without issues.

This is what happened to a friend of mine in China who bought a 9900 a couple months ago. She did not have VPN/BES, and probably gave all app "Trust" Status. When she installed WeChat, on the second day, the phone crashed. She was mad, and sadly accepted the fact that Blackberry is not for China. She gave the phone away, and bought an Iphone 5. And nobody seems to have an issue, at less, on the surface.

Here is what I thought back then. Iphone or Android simply gave away all your personal information to and allow anyone control your phone. Blackberry did not allow the app to do that. So the phone crashed, in an effort to defend your personal information. If that is the case, my 9900 is priceless.

The question is from security's point of view, what does BB10 gave up to make the Z10 looks more like Iphone or Android? I'd rather to have a crashed phone, then a hacked phone...

Really bad troll
    0/10

If you are actually serious, you have been hacked ironically by your fellow countryman.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-13 05:42 AM
    Considering China and hacked are in the same subject, I'd say all is working as intended.

Posted via CB10
    It seems that RIM intended to ignore Chinese market. Just like Google gave up Chinese market, and is not available in China, because they "don't do evil". If it is for the same reason, that RIM ignore Chinese market, I solute RIM.

It is interesting to observe, though, if Z10 ever gave up any thing on security control.

It is better for RIM to stick to one strategy.
    03-27-13 05:50 AM
    I have all apps I need in my 9900 so far.
    03-27-13 05:51 AM
    Passcode block. That way no accidental emails. If you don't put your passcode in you cannot access anything.
    03-27-13 05:55 AM
    You went from pocket emails to hacking? Really? The phone is not hacked, no BlackBerry smart phone has ever been hacked, and they aren't going to start with your brothers phone. The same with a virus, that has never happened before, and it's not going to start with your brothers phone.

Posted via CB10 from my Zed
    03-27-13 06:02 AM
    If so whats apps do you usehttp://htcf.info/13.jpg
    I have all app that I need on my 9900. I think I need a safe and work horse phone, i.e. 9900. For entertainment, I have Playbook. Several months ago, I got an Ipad 4 for MBA study, as certain Kindle text book works on PC and Ipad only. Then I got a used Ipod touch 4 (for free). I tried to figure out how to make use that Ipod touch 4 for a while. Seriously, the only thing I ever found useful on that Ipod touch is -30 and +30 second playback button on RSSRadio podcast. Otherwise, I still hate Iphone/Ipod. I guess many people own more than one device.
    03-27-13 06:03 AM
    You went from pocket emails to hacking? Really? The phone is not hacked, no BlackBerry smart phone has ever been hacked, and they aren't going to start with your brothers phone. The same with a virus, that has never happened before, and it's not going to start with your brothers phone.

Posted via CB10 from my Zed
    I will ask my brother to reset the phone and re-install everything. If not hacking or a virus app, it leaves only one possibility to me: a defective device? Feel like kind of wasting everybody's time, as nobody experienced the same issue... Thanks!
    03-27-13 06:43 AM
    It's a scam from a single email received from bot sender... it happened on the iPhone too... its not the bbz10 or any phones, its the email that was contaminated. it happened on my moms email. She received an email from unknown sender containing a link... once you click or open it, it sends to all email contacts that exists in your account... and it will send again automatically without tapping the link.

Posted via BlackBerry z10 (CB)
    03-27-13 06:57 AM
    It's a scam from a single email received from bot sender... it happened on the iPhone too... its not the bbz10 or any phones, its the email that was contaminated. it happened on my moms email. She received an email from unknown sender containing a link... once you click or open it, it sends to all email contacts that exists in your account... and it will send again automatically without tapping the link.

Posted via BlackBerry z10 (CB)
    Wow! Thanks for sharing. How does people get rid of those contaminated emails?
    03-27-13 07:05 AM
    Wow! Thanks for sharing. How does people get rid of those contaminated emails?
    Don't open mysterious emails would be a good first step

Posted via CB10 - FINALLY
    03-27-13 07:18 AM
    People really should take a course in cyber security. Stuff like this is very much preventable.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-13 07:43 AM