Disbelievers said they won't need color screens or cameras in their phones. Every smartphones have a camera and color screen now. Disbelievers said they won't need a touchscreen. Touchscreen became mainstream and RIM was behind.
    Disbelievers said they won't need customized apps because they can access anything through the browser. Now apps is an important thing and Blackberry is catching up.
    Disbelievers are too attached to the current state and cannot imagine the future.
    Disbelievers will have to wait until they are behind the market to realize that what is coming up.

From what I can see, the so called "phablet" will be a big part of the future. It will become the norm. Samsung have taken the risk and tested the market, and the result cannot be ignored. Ask people who are using a galaxy note as primary phone. Give them anything smaller and they would tell you they can't go back. Going bigger, to some, is a one way road. There is a segment of the market that values bigger screens than the ability to control the phone by one hand.

If you ask the existing blackberry users who are used to the bold form factors, of course they would say "it's too large". It's almost like asking people how can their commute be improved in late 1800s. Their answers would likely be - "Stronger horses"
    03-24-13 11:07 PM
    Completely agree. Wouldn't carry anything smaller than the note 2.
    herculesinwyoming likes this.
    03-24-13 11:17 PM
    Disbelievers said they won't need color screens or cameras in their phones. Every smartphones have a camera and color screen now. Disbelievers said they won't need a touchscreen. Touchscreen became mainstream and RIM was behind.
    Disbelievers said they won't need customized apps because they can access anything through the browser. Now apps is an important thing and Blackberry is catching up.
    Disbelievers are too attached to the current state and cannot imagine the future.
    Disbelievers will have to wait until they are behind the market to realize that what is coming up.

From what I can see, the so called "phablet" will be a big part of the future. It will become the norm. Samsung have taken the risk and tested the market, and the result cannot be ignored. Ask people who are using a galaxy note as primary phone. Give them anything smaller and they would tell you they can't go back. Going bigger, to some, is a one way road. There is a segment of the market that values bigger screens than the ability to control the phone by one hand.

If you ask the existing blackberry users who are used to the bold form factors, of course they would say "it's too large". It's almost like asking people how can their commute be improved in late 1800s. Their answers would likely be - "Stronger horses"
    I guess Apple is missing that boat too!
    03-24-13 11:18 PM
    I guess Apple is missing that boat too!
    I agree - Steve Jobs would have gone for the market share and give people what they want. Although he had stated publicly that he disliked how you can't use one hand on some android phones, he was also a famous mind-changer - brutally bashing an idea one day, only to become a big fan of the same idea another day, when it makes sense. Current Apple management seems to be living under the shadows of his legend and could not think outside of it.
    03-24-13 11:30 PM
    i dont think they are missing it. they have more devices coming and i think atleast 1 will be 4.7-5 inch screen which should be able to satisfy the BB phablet crowd
    03-25-13 04:29 AM
    It will be interesting to see them introducing a keypad based 4.7" - 5.0" device. Definitely will be a hit with twitter whores and C-Level execs
    03-25-13 04:34 AM
    If BB made a 'Phablet' ...I call first dibs............
    03-25-13 04:35 AM
    As Hines said this week, there new "Flag" device that will arrive later this year.
    The device will be 4.7-4.8 Inches Screen. so i don't think blackberry missing another trend.
    03-25-13 04:43 AM
    But I use my phone to workout. How will I ( able to do that with such a large device.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-13 07:16 AM
    Another wake up call -
    Samsung Galaxy Mega is official and comes in 6.3- and 5.8-inch sizes

I hope Blackberry doesn't wait until Samsung sold tens of millions of these phone to start realizing that this is the future. Travelling business people in particular, will appreciate a larger screen. It replaces a tablet or a laptop, a true "Mobile Computer"
    04-11-13 07:43 PM
    Dont know about you guys but putting a almost 7 inches device on my ear to take a phone call is completely ridiculous and not everyone use bluetooth headset so yeah, still many people have strange affection for stranger things look at asus padfone or whatever they call. If BB is to go down this path to stay relevant (phone with bigger display), i hope they stop at 4.7 - 5
    04-11-13 08:24 PM
    I feel that the phablet buzz is a bit overstated. I've seen only a few of them in the wild and I saw an article a while back showing statistics that would suggest the same.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    04-11-13 08:29 PM
    I was at my Dentist this afternoon and we were talking phones and I showed her my Z10 and she said wow that's nice but it's small. She had a note. I was like wow. I agree with the op. Mobile computing will take a bigger screen.
    herculesinwyoming and Drew808 like this.
    04-11-13 08:33 PM
    Dont know about you guys but putting a almost 7 inches device on my ear to take a phone call is completely ridiculous and not everyone use bluetooth headset so yeah, still many people have strange affection for stranger things look at asus padfone or whatever they call. If BB is to go down this path to stay relevant (phone with bigger display), i hope they stop at 4.7 - 5

I'm warming to the idea of having a phablet as a primary device. I don't care if I look awkward holding up such a large device to my ear, however I do care about the practicality of holding a large device (size, shape, and weight). I would opt for using a headphone w/ mic to answer and place calls, especially since that's what I do already with my "regular" BlackBerry. My biggest concern would be how I would carry my device. It'd be too big to put in a holster on my hip (I'm a small dude), and it would be too big to put in my suit jacket (it would ruin the silhouette), and definitely not in my pants pocket (I don't want to get anyone excited or jealous...)

If I was going to pick a phablet these days, I'd get the LG Optimus G Pro (I think that's what it's called... Android phones have such long names sometimes...) over the Note 2. I like the screen better on the LG, not because it's 1080p (although pixel density does account for a lot), the picture just looks better to my eyes.
    04-11-13 08:39 PM
    Can't imagine a phablet in a holster. Haha.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 09:03 PM
    Nvm.
    Lol
    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by KermEd; 04-11-13 at 10:06 PM.
    04-11-13 09:19 PM
    Well, judging from Apple's past, it doesn't seem that it will be moving towards the "Planet" end of the phone market anytime soon. I don't know if BlackBerry will soon either(according to rumors seems likely).

The phablet trend seems kind of silly. Before, cell phones used to be huge. Then we hit a trend of increasingly small phones. Smartphones started our rather small as well and have been growing ever since. How long until we reverse the trend yet again? I don't know.

Comparing screen size to features like cameras and MP3 players isn't accurate, in my opinion, because screen size isn't a feature; it's a preference. Why would anyone prefer a phone without a camera? A MP3 player? I don't know.

But why would anyone consider a smaller phone? For one, it's portable. It's also easier for using with a single hand. It may even be more convenient. To me, the Z10 is about as big as I'd like to go for a phone (for now, anyway). I thought it was big to begin with but I've accommodated. I've seen people talking on their Note devices and it just looks silly, as if someone were talking with a tablet to their ear.

Anyway, do I think BlackBerry should make a phablet? Yeah, if the trend is truly catching on, then why not? Do I, personally like these particular decices? No, but I realize that some do. My point is that screen sizes and features are two different things and that by not producing a device with a huge screen, BlackBerry isn't necessarily missing a new trend.

Who knows, I may give it a chance one day and may even like it.

Posted via CB10
    pirerman likes this.
    04-11-13 10:27 PM
    Seems like some people here need a little clarification on what a phablet is. The Galaxy Notre series isn't just a phone with a huge screen. The screen itself features a Wacom digitizer that works in conjunction with a stylus pen with a pressure sensitive tip that makes writing on it much closer to the effect of pen and paper. This means you can sign and mark up documents or web pages just like you could with a paper magazine or newspaper with far greater precision than you could on a normal capacitive screen.

Of course, the phone works normally without the stylus, but bear in mind that the high price of the phone includes the cost of the digitizer and stylus so you're kinda wasting money if you don't need those features. That's why Samsung is coming out with the 5.8 and 6.3 inch Galaxy Mega series...for people who want the big screen but don't care about the digitizer and pen and don't want to pay extra for it.

Finally, Samsung is also developing a lot of custom software that takes advantage of the big screen, the biggest among them is the split screen capability. You can interact with two apps in real time on the same screen without needing to switch between them. Right now that functionality is limited to Samsung apps and some Google apps like Gmail and the browser but its slowly improving.
    04-11-13 11:48 PM
    We wouldn't need goofy 6-7" phones if BlackBerry simply put a proper digitizer on, and included a stylus with the Z10.

High-resolution pen capture on the Z10 would have been really nice.

It would have been really nice on the PlayBook, too...
    04-12-13 01:19 AM
    That still would have added to the size just to be able to accommodate the stylus. I like it the way it is. It's a communication device, not a sketch book.

04-12-13 05:45 AM
    Another wake up call -
    Samsung Galaxy Mega is official and comes in 6.3- and 5.8-inch sizes

I hope Blackberry doesn't wait until Samsung sold tens of millions of these phone to start realizing that this is the future. Travelling business people in particular, will appreciate a larger screen. It replaces a tablet or a laptop, a true "Mobile Computer"
    With the z10 so far I'm still using my computer. The software needs to get better and more complete before they make new phones.
    Had a galaxy note 2. Didn't turn on my computer while I had it.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 06:44 AM
    I'm not sure where the op's 'disbelievers' comes in. A personal preference isn't a disbelief.

Personally 7 years ago I didn't want a phone with a camera but found it very difficult to find one. Why the heck did I need a crappy camera on my phone that took literally the worst pics I had ever seen? Now that phone cameras are much better and have some good features - sure I like it. That doesn't make me a converted disbeliever. It makes me a consumer that wasn't buying into something I personally didn't want or didn't need.

As for phablets - my husband has a Note that he's fairly happy with. I'm happy for him but personally I wouldn't want to carry a phone around that size. I think though that BlackBerry will make larger phones. I just hope they also keep some of the Z10 size. Perfect for me.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 07:11 AM
    I feel that the phablet buzz is a bit overstated. I've seen only a few of them in the wild and I saw an article a while back showing statistics that would suggest the same.

They said the same about laptops too.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 07:22 AM
    So how's that Netbook market doing Samsung? Yea, Phablets are Netbooks 2.0.

I'm so glad Apple listened to the trends and made a Netbook, oh wait.

Whatever.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 01:51 PM
    Whenever I think of the topic of phablets, I think of this picture...

Blackberry Phablet: is the company missing yet another trend?-xhh2fvr.jpg

Technology goes in cycles. What's old is new, what's vintage is trendy...
    04-12-13 01:54 PM
33 12