I've been a long time lurker in this forum (and over at HoFo), and I'm drooling in anticipation of the Storm's imminent release.

I'm fully aware that just about all specs have been either revealed or hinted at. However, there's one particular detail that has hardly been touched upon, and frankly I'm surprised that nobody has inquired about it until now (hence this new thread).

How many colors will the Storm's screen support?

Well according to the folks at "storm-reviews dot co dot uk" (sorry but I'm currently ineligible to post links), the Storm's screen will support 65K colors (and they've been referenced at HoFo). That is fine with respect to all the HTC phones (including the Touch HD) and even the Android G1, because they all support 65K colors. However, the iPhone 3g (as well as the new Nokia 5800 Tube) supports 16M colors!

Let me reiterate: 65 Thousand colors ... compared to ... 16 Million colors

That's a huge difference. Now I'm fully aware that the Storm has a slightly higher resolution and PPI when compared to the iPhone, but if the color spec is indeed correct, then that would be worrisome to me.

I'd really appreciate it if a respected insider (like Crucial Xtreme or Kevin Byrne) could shed some light on this matter and give a hint.

Is the seesaw heavier on the left or the right?

I know CX has hinted several times that the Storm's screen looks "sharper" than the iPhone's screen, but I can't seem to ignore the color discrepancy.

Here's to hoping that my fear is unfounded... Cheers!
    10-03-08 04:13 PM
    I hope it's not just 65k.
    10-03-08 04:16 PM
    I hope it's not just 65k.
    I don't think it'd be 65K colors. Look at the live screen shots that have been posted, that (to me at least) doesn't look like no 65K colors.
    10-03-08 04:22 PM
    Let me say that while the Bolds screen is smaller than that of the Iphone, it supports 65K and it's screen looks much better and sharper than that of the Iphone.
    10-03-08 04:31 PM
    It could be 65K color, the bold is 65K colors according to the specs on RIM's web site ...

I do agree with you, the Nokia is 16M colors

But I could not find anywhere the number of colors on the iPhone ( even on Apple site ) Do you have any link/references ?

Thanks
    10-03-08 04:40 PM
    I can't find it on apples site, or any where else.
    10-03-08 04:42 PM
    Let me say that while the Bolds screen is smaller than that of the Iphone, it supports 65K and it's screen looks much better and sharper than that of the Iphone.
    TRUE that.

I've read on sooo many websites that the Bold's screen is the best screen on a cellphone so far (maybe not in Japan!? )
    10-03-08 04:58 PM
    And the Storm's screen is > and sharper than that of the Bold's? Am I correct?
    10-03-08 05:35 PM
    The Apple website doesn't list the 16M colors spec, but many other popular sites do. Just search for iPhone 3g on "phonearena dot com", "gsmarena dot com", or "phonescoop dot com" just to name a few.
    10-03-08 06:57 PM
    Tandy, TANDY, TANDY, TANDY!!!

But seriously, my PSP roxorz ur Storm.

I really hope it has more colors then that, pron just doesn't look right with only 65k.
    10-03-08 07:09 PM
    the iPhone does support 16 million colors. As for the Bold screen, the reason it looks so good is because of the smaller physical size of the screen, which forces a higher dpi than the iPhone. You will really notice the lower 65k color when viewing pictures side by side. I seriously hope the storm does not just support 65k colors.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-03-08 07:48 PM
    How will I ever be able to make phone calls if I can only view 65,000 colors?
    10-03-08 08:30 PM
    the iPhone does support 16 million colors. As for the Bold screen, the reason it looks so good is because of the smaller physical size of the screen, which forces a higher dpi than the iPhone. You will really notice the lower 65k color when viewing pictures side by side. I seriously hope the storm does not just support 65k colors.

I don't agree. I think the Bold's screen looks better all around regardless of what's on either one.
    10-03-08 08:50 PM
    How will I ever be able to make phone calls if I can only view 65,000 colors?
    Hahaha. Nice. I think I love you.

10-03-08 08:53 PM
    I don't agree. I think the Bold's screen looks better all around regardless of what's on either one.
    Perhaps, but I wouldn't be surprised then, if the Bold screen will look better than the storm screen. Once again, the dpi will be far higher on the bold due to it's smaller screen size. The storm screen will not look good side by side with the iPhone if indeed it's only 65k.
    10-03-08 09:52 PM
    that's pretty sad if it's only 65k
    10-03-08 09:57 PM
    Perhaps, but I wouldn't be surprised then, if the Bold screen will look better than the storm screen. Once again, the dpi will be far higher on the bold due to it's smaller screen size. The storm screen will not look good side by side with the iPhone if indeed it's only 65k.
    This is being said from someone who hasn't seen the Storm side by side with the Iphone, but a person who has, has already said that the Storm's screen is sharper and nicer than the Iphone. And the Bold only has 65k and is nicer than the Iphone's screen.
    10-03-08 10:00 PM
    that's pretty sad if it's only 65k
    Is it really sad? You must have never seen the Bold's amazing screen which is also only 65k.
    10-03-08 10:01 PM
    This is being said from someone who hasn't seen the Storm side by side with the Iphone, but a person who has, has already said that the Storm's screen is sharper and nicer than the Iphone. And the Bold only has 65k and is nicer than the Iphone's screen.
    I might have missed it, but where did anybody with a storm say it's screen looks better than an iPhone?
    10-03-08 10:05 PM
    I might have missed it, but where did anybody with a storm say it's screen looks better than an iPhone?
    No problem, it's been stated more than a few times by insiders, one of which is CX.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/wha...tml#post787032

Crucial_Xtreme
    CrackBerry Genius
    Device Model: 9500
    Carrier: Rogers/AT&T Join Date: Jul 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
    Originally Posted by notabun
    what does bother me is saying it has "one of the highest resolution screens" when there's already devices out that have VGA rez or better. That's kind of a lie.

I assume you're referring to my, so don't mis-represent what I said. The Storm does have a higher screen resolution than any other Blackberry on the market. Needless to say, it's screen res is higher than that of the Bold, and the Bold's screen was touted as better than that of the Iphone's which was dubbed "best ever". So once again, the Storm has a higher screen res than any other Blackberry device on the market.

here's another post:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/wha...tml#post786540
    Last edited by briankeith513; 10-03-08 at 10:13 PM.
    10-03-08 10:11 PM
    Is it really sad? You must have never seen the Bold's amazing screen which is also only 65k.
    It probably doesn't even matter to me because I'm colorblind. But that still doesn't mean I shouldn't have the best.
    10-03-08 10:18 PM
    my rep at the vz store told me it would have 700 billion colors.
    10-03-08 10:25 PM
    the post you are reffering to is talking about the screen resolution. Not the supported colors. Again, while the bold has the same screen resolution of the iPhone, it does it with a much smaller screen. Therfore the dpi is far higher on the bold. The storm has a screen size closer to that of the iPhone, though the resolution is a tiny bit higher, I am pretty sure the dpi will be less than that of the bold. The color limitation at this size might be more apparent when compared to an iPhone.
    10-03-08 10:26 PM
    Semi5,

Is the Storms' screen properties a deal breaker for you (appears this it is)?
    Last edited by sgtmilstack; 10-03-08 at 10:36 PM.
    10-03-08 10:31 PM
    Semi5,

Is the Storms' screen properties a deal breaker for you?
    No, but it is dissapointing that RIM has choosen to include technology that has been surpassd by it's competetors a few years ago in some cases.
    10-03-08 10:37 PM
94 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD