So I'm one of those leaving Sprint to get my choice of handset, not the patriarchical "our customers will only want the Q10" choices they give.

Anyway, I did a bit of research and saw that I'd like a plan that will probably be retired when T-mo switches over to the new "uncarrier" plans. I walked in to a corporate store last Wednesday and told the clerk I wanted an old plan and and two Z10's that won't be out until after the new plans start. He smiled and said, yeah, I know that's a problem. I was going to suggest they sign me up as sim only and I'd come back for the phones, but he said, I think I can hook you up with our business rep to get those phones. He called the business guy, and lo and behold, on Friday, UPS delivered two shiny, brand new Z10's

I've been playing and setting up and downloading apps, and I'm in love. This is the sweetest phone I've had. I can't believe my speed on the keyboard. I have a big thumb issue, so my old Bold 9930 was slow going and lots of backspacing. On the Z10, I just type and let the software fix my big thumb issues. Fast and correct at the same time. Who'd a thunk?

I did encounter and find the answer to one fat thumb issue. While trying to open phone, search, or camera using the bottom quick launch icons, make sure you don't also touch the black part of the glass. Just touch the Icon and it'll launch.

Also, on slide bar on/off toggles, don't try to slide the button, just tap it and it'll toggle.

I went back into the store on Saturday to get hubby's address book transferred over from his old Sammy flip phone. The clerks there love this z10 too. They can't wait for it to be in store. One said they are supposed to have a shipment (of 4???) phones coming UPS Monday. I hope they'll overnight new phones for future customers, because 4 won't be enough. Current outright price is $580, but they now have no interest payment plans.

Oh, and I think these are factory unlocked. Under system setup/security and privacy/sim card, both network subset and service provider say unlocked. I can scan and see t-mo and att, both 4g.

And, it's model STL100-3 RFK121LW

And for anyone who think there's a delay issue on e-mail not using the BIS....I get email on the old Sprint 9930, the new T-mo Z10 and my laptop. They show up 1,2,3 all within a second or two. I don't see any delays.
    03-24-13 11:08 AM
    Sprint has never had my favor. They have horrible reception here and are way to expensive, and what is funny is their headquarters are in my area, but the service sux?

I have been with TMO for 8 years and they always have good reception for me. I always laughed when my husband would be given a Nextel from his employer. They never worked properly.
    03-30-13 04:59 PM
    Interesting! I saw that too saying service provider unlocked. However when I try to enter unlock code box, it still prompt me to input MEP code.

This is worth investigating.

So I'm one of those leaving Sprint to get my choice of handset, not the patriarchical "our customers will only want the Q10" choices they give.

Anyway, I did a bit of research and saw that I'd like a plan that will probably be retired when T-mo switches over to the new "uncarrier" plans. I walked in to a corporate store last Wednesday and told the clerk I wanted an old plan and and two Z10's that won't be out until after the new plans start. He smiled and said, yeah, I know that's a problem. I was going to suggest they sign me up as sim only and I'd come back for the phones, but he said, I think I can hook you up with our business rep to get those phones. He called the business guy, and lo and behold, on Friday, UPS delivered two shiny, brand new Z10's

I've been playing and setting up and downloading apps, and I'm in love. This is the sweetest phone I've had. I can't believe my speed on the keyboard. I have a big thumb issue, so my old Bold 9930 was slow going and lots of backspacing. On the Z10, I just type and let the software fix my big thumb issues. Fast and correct at the same time. Who'd a thunk?

I did encounter and find the answer to one fat thumb issue. While trying to open phone, search, or camera using the bottom quick launch icons, make sure you don't also touch the black part of the glass. Just touch the Icon and it'll launch.

Also, on slide bar on/off toggles, don't try to slide the button, just tap it and it'll toggle.

I went back into the store on Saturday to get hubby's address book transferred over from his old Sammy flip phone. The clerks there love this z10 too. They can't wait for it to be in store. One said they are supposed to have a shipment (of 4???) phones coming UPS Monday. I hope they'll overnight new phones for future customers, because 4 won't be enough. Current outright price is $580, but they now have no interest payment plans.

Oh, and I think these are factory unlocked. Under system setup/security and privacy/sim card, both network subset and service provider say unlocked. I can scan and see t-mo and att, both 4g.

And, it's model STL100-3 RFK121LW

And for anyone who think there's a delay issue on e-mail not using the BIS....I get email on the old Sprint 9930, the new T-mo Z10 and my laptop. They show up 1,2,3 all within a second or two. I don't see any delays.
    03-30-13 05:20 PM
    I don't think they are unlocked. Don't you have Unlock Network button?
    That asks for SIM unlock.

May I ask where are you located?
    Can you get your hotmail or EAS emails via wifi?

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 06:23 PM
    Gratz! I've been with TMO for years. Works great in my area. Never thought I'd like a non-qwerty device as much as I do my Z10. It's awesome!
    03-30-13 06:57 PM
    I don't think they are unlocked. Don't you have Unlock Network button?
    That asks for SIM unlock.

May I ask where are you located?
    Can you get your hotmail or EAS emails via wifi?
    I get gmail imap via wifi instantly. I don't have hotmail or EAS.

As I migrated from Sprint, I'm new to sim cards. They used CDMA technology which doesn't have a sim. What is unlocked when network subset and service provider is unlocked? There is an unlock network button.
    03-31-13 12:42 AM
    The phone is locked. I have AT&T micro SIM and tested it out. In addition, I just bought one for my family overseas, paid in full and awaiting an unlock code from TMO. They told me that it could take anywhere from 24hours to 2 weeks!
    04-03-13 02:10 PM
    The phone is locked. I have AT&T micro SIM and tested it out. In addition, I just bought one for my family overseas, paid in full and awaiting an unlock code from TMO. They told me that it could take anywhere from 24hours to 2 weeks!
    Please keep us posted, I am interested in this as T-Mo speeds are worrying me (but in general areas, they are on par with Verizon!! I compared side by side with 3 androids + my Z10, same speed!) Anyway, is there any possibility to roam on AT&T? I thought we could change towers, but when I pick AT&T, it turns into Emergency Only...
    04-03-13 03:13 PM
    Sure will.

As for roaming on AT&T, I don't why it wouldn't. My wife has a factory unlocked iPhone 4S and she has been using it on TMO for a while. Right about Oct, she started to get a hold of 3G in much broader areas around KCMO and KCK. Unless I don't understand you and don't have the right information, but I believe AT&T and TMO have different bands for their 3G networks.

Please keep us posted, I am interested in this as T-Mo speeds are worrying me (but in general areas, they are on par with Verizon!! I compared side by side with 3 androids + my Z10, same speed!) Anyway, is there any possibility to roam on AT&T? I thought we could change towers, but when I pick AT&T, it turns into Emergency Only...
    04-03-13 05:36 PM
    My wife has a factory unlocked iPhone 4S and she has been using it on TMO for a while. Right about Oct, she started to get a hold of 3G in much broader areas around KCMO and KCK. Unless I don't understand you and don't have the right information, but I believe AT&T and TMO have different bands for their 3G networks.
    In some places, T-Mobile has re-farmed their 1900 2G bandwidth for 3G/'4G'. So in these places, AT&T phones (such as your wife's iPhone) will get 3G/'4G' on T-Mobile. I'm pretty sure KC is one of these places.
    04-03-13 07:50 PM
    Just as as point of ref, I'm in an LTE area (Wash DC) and the LTE speeds are around 30 mpbs down and 10 up, which is pretty amazing, actually. Of course it will get slower as more people begin using it, but I'm very happy (coming from AT&T).
    04-04-13 08:03 AM
    Well, got a message from TMO this evening about my unlock code. The message saying that they can't provide a code for me at this time as there is no phone number registered with phone imei! What! Duh, I bought it off full price and told the store that I will use it with another carrier. The store told me it should be fine.

I will ask the store manager tomorrow and see what can be done.

At least Tmo got to my request within less than 48 hours.
    raino and heading4tomorrow like this.
    04-04-13 07:56 PM
    Well, got a message from TMO this evening about my unlock code. The message saying that they can't provide a code for me at this time as there is no phone number registered with phone imei! What! Duh, I bought it off full price and told the store that I will use it with another carrier. The store told me it should be fine.

I will ask the store manager tomorrow and see what can be done.

At least Tmo got to my request within less than 48 hours.
    Very interesting. Thanks for posting, and keep us updated.
    04-04-13 08:01 PM
    An update guys.

Well the phone has to be in used with any TMO current account and its SIM for a minimum of 24 hours. Once TMO can verify that there is a record of phone usage such as phone call, texts, data, etc for at least 24 hours, they can release an unlock code.

I will come back again once the code is received, but it is heading in the right direction.

Cheers

Very interesting. Thanks for posting, and keep us updated.
    raino likes this.
    04-05-13 10:48 AM
    An update guys.

Well the phone has to be in used with any TMO current account and its SIM for a minimum of 24 hours. Once TMO can verify that there is a record of phone usage such as phone call, texts, data, etc for at least 24 hours, they can release an unlock code.

I will come back again once the code is received, but it is heading in the right direction.

Cheers
    Thanks again. If you're already a T-Mobile customer, putting in your old (micro-)SIM should work, no? Or find the closest TMO customer you can and borrow his/her SIM.

Not a great practice by T-Mobile, IMO. But it's perfectly legal, I suppose.
    doxa sub750T likes this.
    04-05-13 11:10 AM
    Yes, I am and have been with TMO for 10 years :-) I have five lines plus a separate mobile hotpot with my account, but borrowing a SIM card from the others in my plan is not an option :-)

Yep, it is a little bit of a hassle, but I just pop in my current SIM to another Z10 I want to unlock. Good thing it is Friday already so I can leave my current phone with all my work stuffs aside for now!

I made another call to give them an update and made sure that IMEI matches my number being used with the phone. We will see what happens for the next 36-48 hours.

From my current experience on this subject, I can say that TMO will definitely unlock your phone in timely fashion provided that you follow their guidelines. It is best to actually call and verify the process directly with unlocking department in case they change their policy. Apparently from my situation, the store manager didn't know every little detail of the process and I don't think it is his fault.

Anyway, thanks for your inputs.

Cheers

Thanks again. If you're already a T-Mobile customer, putting in your old (micro-)SIM should work, no? Or find the closest TMO customer you can and borrow his/her SIM.

Not a great practice by T-Mobile, IMO. But it's perfectly legal, I suppose.
    04-05-13 01:28 PM
    Ok, today at 12:44PM, I got an unlocked code from TMO AR depart :-) I had to actually called in again on Monday since I got no notification from them after my second request on Friday.

Anyhow, you do need to make sure that you indeed use the phone you want to unlock for a minimum of 24hours so that IMEI and sim number being requested match. I did use it from last Friday through Sunday then put it back to the box and switched back to my own Z10.

Cheers
    04-09-13 05:53 PM