like most, I like to occasionally play the occasional time-wasting games on my phone, but I have no desire to let the world know when and what I play.... How do I remove and/or permanently disable the damn "games" app from my new Z10 ??

As silly as it might sound, this is enough of an annoyance that without a way to nuke this annoying, yet apparently mandatory app, my Z10 will be going back during the purchase grace period and I'll walk out with an Android device and kiss BBRY goodbye.

any ideas?
    03-22-13 08:12 PM
    Don't add any friends in the Games app. It's not just there to announce your activities and achievements, it keeps track of scores and I think for some games may even save your unlocked features in case you delete the game and reinstall, or want to synch between two devices.

If you don't add any friends, no one will see you, and you won't know what anyone else's playing habits and preferences are. You don't even get notifications that people want to add you as a friend unless you open the app, press friends, and then check requests.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-13 08:42 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply... I get the "don't add, don't tell" idea, but it's still pretty lame that this is a no-choice situation.

I've been a BB user for more than a decade and have been anxiously awaiting BB10... I'm trying very hard to love this new device, but it seems they've removed many of the most endearing qualities of the BB and so far I'm becoming more and more disappointed as I spend time with it. (end whining)
    03-22-13 08:58 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply... I get the "don't add, don't tell" idea, but it's still pretty lame that this is a no-choice situation.

I've been a BB user for more than a decade and have been anxiously awaiting BB10... I'm trying very hard to love this new device, but it seems they've removed many of the most endearing qualities of the BB and so far I'm becoming more and more disappointed as I spend time with it. (end whining)
    Well, like I said, the Games app isn't just there for the friends feature. You don't HAVE to add friends. It's also there for the online components that many games have built into them. The way I see it, especially for BlackBerry specific devs, is that it's an added way to spread game awareness and increase popularity. Almost anything that has the Scoreloop feature is listed in the Games app, by newness, popularity and friend favourites. Word can't spread the way it does with iPhone and Android, from friend to friend and neighbour to neighbour. I find out about games from my Games app friends!

BlackBerry's changing, probably because it has to. Some of the features we were used to are gone, and some of these may return as the new OS gets fleshed out. Maybe BlackBerry just isn't for you anymore. And that's okay.
    dietertong, Elite1 and eldricho like this.
    03-22-13 10:28 PM
    In the Games app, tap your avatar or menu to bring up Edit Profile, set Public Profile to Off.

You can't delete the Games app, but you can move it into a folder along with any other undeletable apps that you don't think you're going to use. My "Useless" folder has Smart Tags, Setup, and Help for example

We'll miss you though!
    03-23-13 11:03 AM
    Even though my public profile is set to off, it seems as if the app is still updating my BBM status without my knowledge or permission, and bbm contacts who are not in my games app friends list are still seeing this update on their end. Not too happy about this. Anyone else have this problem?

Posted via CB10
    03-23-13 11:58 AM
    Even though my public profile is set to off, it seems as if the app is still updating my BBM status without my knowledge or permission, and bbm contacts who are not in my games app friends list are still seeing this update on their end. Not too happy about this. Anyone else have this problem?

Posted via CB10
    This might have more to do with your games rather than the Games app. Settings/Security and Privacy/Application Permissions will let you go through your games individually. Under Connect to BBM, you'll see a slider for Profile Updates. Switch that to off. Often, you can set this after installing something with the permission pop up.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-13 12:19 PM
    It's the Games App which is sending the status updates, if you have a look under the "Connect to BBM" application permissions you'll see there is in fact no way to disable it, which means that any game which uses the app will show that you're playing it which is very annoying. They need to put out a fix for this immediately.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-13 03:47 PM
    It's the Games App which is sending the status updates, if you have a look under the "Connect to BBM" application permissions you'll see there is in fact no way to disable it, which means that any game which uses the app will show that you're playing it which is very annoying. They need to put out a fix for this immediately.

Posted via CB10
    Well, I just went in to the games individually, and turned off the BBM update option, and that seems to have solved the problem.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-13 04:12 PM
    Well, I just went in to the games individually, and turned off the BBM update option, and that seems to have solved the problem.

Posted via CB10
    Hm didn't seem to solve it for me

Posted via CB10
    03-23-13 05:05 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yeah it works with some games but it doesn't seem to work with some games I use for example Saving Yellow.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-13 09:38 AM
    i agree with Whoppo - too many times with this new BB10 software a question is asked about removing/deleting something and the reply is a work around or a snarky "why would you want to do that?". it's my device and if i want to delete ALL games, i should be able to. it's almost as annoying as when there is a software update and it RELOADS every app i have deleted. very disappointing OS....
    05-11-13 01:11 PM
    i agree with Whoppo - too many times with this new BB10 software a question is asked about removing/deleting something and the reply is a work around or a snarky "why would you want to do that?". it's my device and if i want to delete ALL games, i should be able to. it's almost as annoying as when there is a software update and it RELOADS every app i have deleted. very disappointing OS....
    I've noticed some games won't even start up without having created a Games app profile. The problem for undeletable apps might be that deleting them removes necessary components.

I think Android devices come with more customizing freedom, but with that comes the risk of messing up your device. The inability to delete whatever you want from your own device I think is a safeguard to protect the user from his own ignorance. It may also be a form of prevention whereby BlackBerry has decided that it's better to deal with complaints of lack of complete freedom, rather than customers trashing the device because no one warned them that deleting critical apps might reduce the function of their device.

Posted via CB10
    Elite1 likes this.
    05-12-13 03:34 PM
    Trust me when I say that the games app is far less of a problem than the constant pop up ads that most android games have.
    Elite1 and dietertong like this.
    05-13-13 10:58 AM
    The problem with this horrible app is that every time I try to use any of my games this stupid thing minimizes my actual game and opens itself every single time. Sometimes it even overlays a login screen for my BB password or whatever. So it becomes invasive, intrusive, and annoying. It makes the very act of launching a game an exercise in frustration. I don't need to login to my BlackBerry account to use a game. I don't need to connect to anything or create an account to use a game. This stupid, pointless, useless app just gets in the way and forces me to keep closing and relaunching whatever actual game I'm trying to use, just so I can move past the splash screen without being welcomed to the goddam Games app and etc etc.

if the Games app simply sat there and didn't do anything, like the rest of the useless preloaded garbage they've forced onto us with this horrible phone, maybe I could be a little more forgiving. But because this awful thing launches itself every single time I open one of my games, simply shoving it into a folder isn't good enough. I want it fully shut off, deactivated, or deleted off my phone entirely.

I almost, *almost* wouldn't even care, were it not for the fact that there are so many legitimately enjoyable games available for this otherwise utterly loathsome device.
    12-02-13 05:16 PM
    You can stand on principle that you shouldn't have to use it and continue to be annoyed.
    OR you can just do the setup once, set public profile to Off, and never look back.

Once you've set it up, there's no popup for your current games, nor for new games you download either.

I'm not disagreeing with you, as you're entitled to your opinion. But why bother being annoyed when there's such an easy one-time fix?

And btw, other platforms have similar things. iOS has something, maybe was it called Game Center? From a few minutes on a few occasions spent playing on family members' iPhone or iPad, the iOS equivalent seemed slightly more intrusive.

Posted via CB10 from my new Z30!
    12-03-13 01:53 PM
    You can stand on principle that you shouldn't have to use it and continue to be annoyed.
    OR you can just do the setup once, set public profile to Off, and never look back.

Once you've set it up, there's no popup for your current games, nor for new games you download either.

I'm not disagreeing with you, as you're entitled to your opinion. But why bother being annoyed when there's such an easy one-time fix?

And btw, other platforms have similar things. iOS has something, maybe was it called Game Center? From a few minutes on a few occasions spent playing on family members' iPhone or iPad, the iOS equivalent seemed slightly more intrusive.

Posted via CB10 from my new Z30!
    +1

Just set public profile to OFF

Posted via CB10
    12-04-13 05:39 AM
    People will always complain this so simple and sucha non issue i can't believe it was ever asked turn the profile off and hide the app Jesus do you guys need some work, cause I'm quite busy over here but you guys can find time too complain about this lol.

Posted via CB10 on my ? BlackBerry Q10
    12-05-13 07:08 AM
    Hey guys. I know this is an old thread but I want some advice. I just got my BlackBerry passport and now I want to play games but I'm having issues with the games app. I can't create a profile since the servers no longer work, I don't know how to disable thee app or stop it from constantly popping up when I want to play a game. Any help please?
    12-06-14 06:56 AM
    Hey guys. I know this is an old thread but I want some advice. I just got my BlackBerry passport and now I want to play games but I'm having issues with the games app. I can't create a profile since the servers no longer work, I don't know how to disable thee app or stop it from constantly popping up when I want to play a game. Any help please?
    Download the games from your favourite source, BBAW, Amazon, Snap. Do NOT use the games app as it is no longer functional as far as I can see,
    12-06-14 07:24 AM