So I've been patiently waiting for the Z10 to come to Verizon, just assuming that it would be like every other modern global smartphone released in the US...apparently I was getting ahead of myself. Does anyone out there know if there's some sort of odd BlackBerry-related technical reason why the HSPA would be restricted to only the 900/2100MHz frequencies on the VZW Z10??

I mean seriously, what other high end, modern smartphone on Verizon is dual-band HSPA? I move from carrier to carrier quite often, I'm not tied to Verizon, but I like having devices that work on as many US carriers as possible (read: unlocked, Verizon, quad-band HSPA) so that I always have options. Normally, I'd think it's the carriers screwing things up, but Verizon hasn't released a flagship device with dual-band HSPA since...well...the Bold 9930. That makes me think it's a BB thing

I admit, this is a nerdy edge case problem that I have...but there it is, I have it. Have to say, I'm very disappointed.
    03-22-13 12:25 AM
    Normally, I'd think it's the carriers screwing things up, but Verizon hasn't released a flagship device with dual-band HSPA since...well...the Bold 9930. That makes me think it's a BB thing

Is that last part true? I don't follow the GSM/3GPP world that much as I've pretty much settled on Verizon for many years now, and I like their service.

My personal assumption would be that it was a Verizon specification. The STL100-4 looks like it will be almost exclusively a Verizon-compatible device in terms of LTE, VZW is the only major carrier in the world from what I can tell that is using FD-LTE on 700 Mhz.

From what I can tell, there are a couple carriers in tiny Caribbean countries and perhaps one tiny slice of Japan that are reputedly using that combination of tech/frequency right now, perhaps one more. So I doubt that VZW would consider it any sort of particular liability that it's not broadly compatible in other ways, since LTE is pretty much only going to work on their network anyway.

You realize there is NO HSPA support on that device either, right? So basically, no "4G" or even "4G-like" speeds anywhere in the world other than on Big Red's network.

There may be some sort of battery-life issues that weigh-in on that decision, but given VZW's history I wouldn't put it past them to just want to make it hard for the device to have any value outside of their network.
    Cap_172R likes this.
    03-22-13 12:52 AM
    You realize there is NO HSPA support on that device either, right? So basically, no "4G" or even "4G-like" speeds anywhere in the world other than on Big Red's network.
    Well it's a world phone, and it does have HSDPA support (dual band 900/2100). In most non-marketing speak circles, this is not 4G or "4G-like", it's a form of 3G. The Z10 on Verizon, unlike almost every other global-capable flagship handset released on the carrier (since the Bold 9930), will not support 850 or 1900 MHz. It's for that last reason that I find it hard to believe it's Verizon's doing.
    03-22-13 08:33 AM
    I can't find the model spec comparison I wanted, I could swear the STL100-4 was missing HSPA.

Will have to dig around when I have more time/energy.
    03-22-13 08:59 AM
    I can't find the model spec comparison I wanted, I could swear the STL100-4 was missing HSPA.

Will have to dig around when I have more time/energy.
    www.gsmarena.com/blackberry_z10-5251.php
    03-22-13 09:38 AM
    Haha that's the one I looked at first that didn't have the data I wanted.
    03-22-13 09:44 AM
    Haha that's the one I looked at first that didn't have the data I wanted.
    Hm...at the top (above the nicely formatted info), it lists:

- STL100-4 model:
    CDMA 800 / 1900, HSDPA 900 / 2100, LTE 700 MHz Class 13

Now, I guess I'm just assuming the GSMArena is correct...but they generally tend to have pretty reliable info.
    03-22-13 10:42 AM
    03-22-13 11:38 AM
    Thanks, but I'm pretty solid on understanding the frequency differences...mostly I just wanted to vent frustration over the very limited HSPA frequency support on the Verizon model and see if anyone might know a reason why BB did this.
    03-22-13 11:42 AM
    Thanks, but I'm pretty solid on understanding the frequency differences...mostly I just wanted to vent frustration over the very limited HSPA frequency support on the Verizon model and see if anyone might know a reason why BB did this.
    Sorry, i thought someone was looking for that info in this thread
    03-22-13 12:15 PM
    This is what I was afraid of....I'm holding off till my contract renews but this is a no-go for me...I'm planning on buying full price and I can't buy one that I know will be crippled except on VZW's network. The moment you step out of the USA, that $500+ phone will be a brick or worse than those old school nokias!
    03-22-13 12:23 PM
    This is what I was afraid of....I'm holding off till my contract renews but this is a no-go for me...I'm planning on buying full price and I can't buy one that I know will be crippled except on VZW's network. The moment you step out of the USA, that $500+ phone will be a brick or worse than those old school nokias!
    I'm just clutching to the (likely irrational) hope that the Q10 on Verizon will be quad-band UMTS...
    03-22-13 12:25 PM