Does anyone know if there will be a Podtrapper app for Z10?
    03-21-13 07:37 PM
    Unlikely. I e-mailed the developer a month ago and have yet to get a reply. Someone posted a question in his forums too, and it has been left with no reply for over a month. I think the only way is going to be to sideload the Android app. Not sure if that works or not as I have not Z10 to try it on.

I'd like a native app (or at least an official Android port), but it looks like Podtrapper development is dead.
    03-21-13 10:00 PM
    Very sad. Podtrapper is probably my favorite app and I have yet to come accross another app as versatile and feature-rich as this one. There hasn't been an update for it since 2010 and that's too bad because Marcus is an extremelly talented developer.
    04-05-13 09:26 PM
    He didn't respond to me either. Search the side load forum - there's a BAR file in the APK to BAR thread. It's been working well for me. I copied my files to the device flash in misc/android/podtrapper and restored from the backup and away it went...

Two small issues:
    - can't use SD card
    - can't react to mic button on headset cables

Fortunately for pause/resume, you can double - click the power button.

If I had the time, I'd be tempted to write a clone. Instead, I hope the Podcasts app becomes a good enough alternative for me. It's off to a promising start. (I'd like to have a well written native app.)

Posted via CB10
    04-06-13 01:41 AM
    Hey, I'm the developer for Podcasts. You can get an early copy of the update to Podcasts here. Let me know if there are any features you would like to see.

He didn't respond to me either. Search the side load forum - there's a BAR file in the APK to BAR thread. It's been working well for me. I copied my files to the device flash in misc/android/podtrapper and restored from the backup and away it went...

Two small issues:
    - can't use SD card
    - can't react to mic button on headset cables

Fortunately for pause/resume, you can double - click the power button.

If I had the time, I'd be tempted to write a clone. Instead, I hope the Podcasts app becomes a good enough alternative for me. It's off to a promising start. (I'd like to have a well written native app.)

Posted via CB10
    04-06-13 06:20 PM
    Hey, I'm the developer for Podcasts. You can get an early copy of the update to Podcasts here. Let me know if there are any features you would like to see.
    Hi Joshua,

Finally tried to load the latest beta but for some reason blackberry-deploy reported no error and yet it doesn't show up on my phone. Didn't want to reply until I could look at your latest changes. Apologies if anything I say is now out of date.

I think the biggest things for me are:
    • From the episode list, Podtrapper shows a progress bar indicating whether the app has been downloaded (black background = no, grey = yes or in progress) and what percentage has been listened to (blue).
    • Podtrapper defaults to showing only episodes I have not deleted. This can be changed, if desired, to show deleted episodes (which are displayed using a darker grey) in case you want to re-download and listen. There's also a view that shows only downloaded episodes. Really, I use the standard view 99% of the time.
    • Podtrapper has an "email episode" option. Doesn't work when side-loaded, but I used it a few times to share links to podcast episodes with people. Tapping into the "Share" invoke API would be a nice feature.
    • Minor preference - the main podtrapper screen is a list view of podcasts. For each episode it shows the number ready (downloaded) and number not downloaded. (Of those not deleted.)
    • Less used, but fantastic when needed - it lets you browse the device storage for other audio files to play. Was useful when I loaded a set of lectures or an audio book, since it would remember how far through I'd listened to each MP3.

If it'd be helpful for understanding that, I can send some screen shots.

I look forward to seeing the next version, and those after that -- your app certainly looks better than Podtrapper so far, and I expect it'll have enough for me to switch over soon enough.

Thanks!
    Joshua Netterfield likes this.
    04-12-13 03:32 AM
    These are great suggestions! I'll see what I can do!
    04-12-13 07:39 PM
    These are great suggestions! I'll see what I can do!
    Great, thanks!

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 04:22 PM
    I used Podtrapper on my old 9850 and it was Ok, but not supported for year.

I give a +1,000 to Joshua's Podcast app on my new Z10. Works great with very fast and easy adding new subscriptions. I like the new version just released. Much better than the podcast function on Nobel.

Give Podcast a try. I'm addicted to podcasts and this is my crack pipe.
    torpesco likes this.
    04-13-13 04:48 PM