Hi, is there a simple way to write programs for the Blackberry 10 platform?

i have some knowledge on Python but I'm totally clueless when it comes to C++ or Java. I really wish to contribute to the success to come for Blackberry, I just don't have a clue on where to start!!

Cheers.
    banana_512 and mathking606 like this.
    03-21-13 01:58 PM

i have some knowledge on Python but I'm totally clueless when it comes to C++ or Java. I really wish to contribute to the success to come for Blackberry, I just don't have a clue on where to start!!

Cheers.
    BlackBerry Developer
    03-21-13 02:09 PM

Cheers.
    This might be something you want to check out: BlackBerry-Py Project
    Jonathan Ng likes this.
    03-23-13 05:08 PM
    me too, i want to support our community, to make some contribution to development aspect.
    03-24-13 12:45 AM
    There's lots of options on the BlackBerry 10 platform.

Depending on your skill set you can program in:

a.) Native C/C++ (e.g. As "Close to the Metal" as you can get)

b.) Cascades this let's you build out whatever UI you want with the BlackBerry 10 look and feel... then use your choice of (C++ or JavaScript) to control the logic and interaction.

C.) Adobe AIR/AS3 a fairly robust yet easy to learn/use OOP language with a QNX control library

D.) WebWorks/HTML5 & JavaScript if you know how to build a web site or HTML5 app game

E.) If Java is your thing you can build an Android app and then package it for BlackBerry 10

In all honesty though unless you've got strong skills in one of the other platforms I'd recommend Cascades... it provides a ton of features and animations out of the box... so much that you can often prototype an entire app without writing any much code at all!

There are BlackBerry forums to help you out and a community of developers that are ready to assist should you get stuck.

All you need to do is start! ;-)

1.) sign up as a BlackBerry Vendor (super easy)
    2.) download the SDK for what you need (PC, Mac, or Linux!)
    3.) download a simulator (if you don't have a device)

Install and start coding!

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck and Daytona123 like this.
    03-24-13 07:41 PM
    Java can't be used to code native appsfor BlackBerry 10?. What about c#? Along with Cascade?

Posted via CB10
    04-03-13 06:20 AM
    Java shouldn't be used for anything.

But c++, AIR (one love), html5 are all ok.

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    04-05-13 07:37 PM
    Depends on the app.... If you need the power of native coding and graphics speed then your best bet is C/C++ in some kind of framework that provides graphics/sound libraries. I used Marmalade in a Microsoft Visual C++ environment for a game for Playbook and Z10.

If you are doing apps that can be built around a "web-type" interface, with slower graphics and just some widgets (like buttons and animations), then something as simple as Webworks would do the trick with bbUI.js or jQuery to handle the interface. I'm sure Cascades is another incredible option.... something which I'd like to get into one of these days as well. But for now, Webworks can be developed with nothing more than Google Chrome + Ripple and a text editor.

You need to figure out what kind of app you want, and then decide whether the environment/language available can handle it, and at what speed you want. Then go from there.
    04-08-13 06:34 PM
    Java can't be used to code native appsfor BlackBerry 10?. What about c#? Along with Cascade?

Posted via CB10
    No C#. Remember that this is a proprietary MS language, just like Visual Basic.

Personally, I'd love to see C# on BB10. My guess, though, is that the vast majority of C# devs--if they're in mobile at all--would be doing Windows Phone.
    04-08-13 06:42 PM
    Cpp can be done vis ndk though.

And basic can be done via nbasic. Per my review on my blog though I would highly highly recommend against nbasic.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 07:00 PM
    unless you are writing a game I highly recommend using Cascades to develop apps for BB10. it is tbe easiest and best looking way. all of the others won't give you the polished feel of a native app.
    04-08-13 10:10 PM
    WebWorks apps in BB10 can be (and often are) just as polished and fast as a cascades or c++ app. In BB10 webworks is deeply integrated with the core system, and can interact with native code (which is what an extension is).
    KermEd and Refayah like this.
    04-09-13 08:52 AM
    Yeah the way they implemented HTML5. There is really no speed difference between Ndk and Html5.

I know you would think so. But the html5 capabilities run at the same level as native. Or so bbdev explained it as so for several hours.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-13 09:44 AM
    Yeah the way they implemented HTML5. There is really no speed difference between Ndk and Html5.

I know you would think so. But the html5 capabilities run at the same level as native. Or so bbdev explained it as so for several hours.

Posted via CB10
    There definitely is a speed difference between NDK and WebWorks.

HTML5 apps will never run faster than native apps in our lifetime.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 04:50 PM
    There definitely is a speed difference between NDK and WebWorks.

HTML5 apps will never run faster than native apps in our lifetime.

Posted via CB10
    No one said faster. As fast. And there's still an imperceptible time difference, but that will change as the platform is improved by BlackBerry.
    KermEd likes this.
    04-10-13 05:11 PM
    No one said faster. As fast. And there's still an imperceptible time difference, but that will change as the platform is improved by BlackBerry.
    I meant it's not as fast. It's much slower and it's totally perceptible which is why professional developers mostly avoid making html5 apps.

Yes, the gap will be closed as hardware is improved.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 06:55 PM
    I have to disagree with you there

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 07:42 PM
    What's the fastest Webworks app you've seen?

Let's compare it to the Cineplex app

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 07:53 PM
    There is nothing there worth pointing out. It even looks and feels like any webworks app I've seen or worked on.

I'm too tired to feed the troll tonight. I'm not primarily a webworks developer myself but i use it on a few dozen projects. The cineplex app is not particularly outstanding to me.

So, take whatever you want from the conversation to make yourself feel like you won an argument

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 08:06 PM
    Too tired to name one Webworks app that gets 60 fps consistently? I know it's hard to find one.

Okay, hope you get some rest!

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 08:19 PM
    Oh I just noticed you are quoting bbdev. You definitely have no clue what you are talking about.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 08:31 PM

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 08:35 PM
    I meant it's not as fast. It's much slower and it's totally perceptible which is why professional developers mostly avoid making html5 apps.

Yes, the gap will be closed as hardware is improved.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, professional developers like Samsung with Tizen, Ubuntu with Ubuntu OS, Mozilla with their Firefox OS, BlackBerry with the BB10 Web Browser...
    Refayah likes this.
    04-11-13 12:33 AM
    Yes, professional developers like Samsung with Tizen, Ubuntu with Ubuntu OS, Mozilla with their Firefox OS, BlackBerry with the BB10 Web Browser...
    I'm not saying it is not supported by companies like BlackBerry and Samsung. I'm saying that BlackBerry does not release HTML5 applications and they only use Cascades. Companies choose to make HTML5 apps because it's economical.

HTML5 apps provide the worst UX on the platform. I'm not sure why people are defending them because they are clearly a poorer experience.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 06:07 AM
    Ignorance is bliss

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 07:03 AM
50 12