Since the launch of BlackBerry Z10 I became a daily visitor of crackberry.com (I am also working on my first BB10 native app).

In the last 2 weeks I have seen several trolling threads, started (in my opinion) with the sole purpose of establishing a large number of negative entries associated with BB10.

In order to avoid cluttering the forum with (negative) threads that do not put forward genuine problems, I propose that we leave those threads without any reply. By replying, even in a derogatory tone, we only manage to keep the trolling thread on the main board, for every visitor to see (and for many uninformed to make a negative opinion about Z10).

I have developed for Android, but I love BlackBerry 10 OS for its excellent user experience. It doesn't deserve the barrage of garbage currently thrown at it from every direction ("objective" financial analysts or fake "crackberry addicts" ).

In my opinion, these are examples of trolling threads:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...9/#post8150900
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-rates-782923/

And these ones are examples of threads concerned with genuine problems:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ry-z10-780396/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...7/#post8152590
    Last edited by maxdaniels; 03-19-13 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Typo correction
    03-19-13 09:58 AM
    Great idea... unfortunately I am unsure if members have that much restraint.... also I noticed a different type of troll as late...I call them the fence sitting troll.... they come to the site with usually under 10 posts...spin a negative tale of woe... not outright bashing but just enough to get folks riled up.... As much as I agree with the OP.... what one person may consider trolling others may not.... for me I just look at it and laugh.... try to post a witty reply ( usually not successfully ) and move on...
    Jimberry Storm likes this.
    03-19-13 10:03 AM
    Be nice.
    Nice is a trolls kryptonite

Posted via CB10
    03-19-13 10:18 AM
    Be nice.
    Nice is a trolls kryptonite

Posted via CB10
    Right

Posted via CB10
    03-19-13 10:23 AM
    Since the launch of BlackBerry Z10 I became a daily visitor of crackberry.com (I am also working on my first BB10 native app).

In the last 2 weeks I have seen several trolling threads, started (in my opinion) with the sole purpose of establishing a large number of negative entries associated with BB10.

In order to avoid cluttering the forum with (negative) threads that do not put forward genuine problems, I propose that we live those threads without any reply. By replying, even in a derogatory tone, we only manage to keep the trolling thread on the main board, for every visitor to see (and for many uninformed to make a negative opinion about Z10).

I have developed for Android, but I love BlackBerry 10 OS for its excellent user experience. It doesn't deserve the barrage o garbage currently thrown at him from every direction ("objective" financial analysts or fake "crackberry addicts" ).
    100% agree but hard to just let it go, espesially when there is all this bashing on BB. They themselves (BB) keep quiet most of the time and it is morally (High road) the right thing and I like it. but at the same time you want to stand up for what you believe in, so if I can't put a humorus positvie spin on it I do pass it by, but it isn't easy.
    03-19-13 10:26 AM
    My point is that by posting any kind of reply (no matter how nice, humorous or well documented it would be), we are only playing the trolls' game, because in this way we keep the fake thread (and its nasty title) alive on the main page. So every new crackberry.com visitor who came to the site to gather some info about BB10 will be greeted by a list of negative titles.
    03-19-13 10:34 AM
    100% agree but hard to just let it go, espesially when there is all this bashing on BB. They themselves (BB) keep quiet most of the time and it is morally (High road) the right thing and I like it. but at the same time you want to stand up for what you believe in, so if I can't put a humorus positvie spin on it I do pass it by, but it isn't easy.
    My point is that by posting any kind of reply (no matter how nice, humorous or well documented it would be), we are only playing the trolls' game, because in this way we keep the fake thread (and its nasty title) alive on the main page. So every new crackberry.com visitor who came to the site to gather some info about BB10 will be greeted by a list of negative titles.
    I completely agree with both of you, and in fact my own tongue is badly scarred from all the times I've had to bite it. Best thing to do if you need to do something but know it's best not to respond is to report it. That way the only attention it gets is that of the mods.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-19-13 10:41 AM
    I would say that if you need to reply (and I certainly feel that need sometimes) then start another thread with a similar but positive or at least neutral thread title and quote the original. I'm very open to discussion but I really dislike seeing the negative headline when the thread itself is actually filled with much more positiviity than the headline suggests. Ideally, we would all just let those threads wither away but I think we'll have to accept that some people sometimes will want to react and the sheer numbers of the respondents to the "Dissappoints" thread is hard to ignore. BlackBerry users have withstood a nearly constant barrage of criticism over the last few years and I quite understand their reluctance to just roll over again. They've now been vindicated for their patience and they're understandably ready to stand up again. To make it clear, I totally agree with the OP's comments and my suggestion is just an addition.
    03-19-13 11:34 AM
    Problem is.....what is a troll.

I have been called a troll simply because I use another phone along with my BB. I have been called a troll when I said the camera on the flagship BB sucks. I have been called a troll for stating that BB needs apps like WhatsApp and Instagram. I've got a little antifan club that chases me from thread to thread. All because I happen to like other phones and I say so. I've been even given a month to leave CB unless I decide to buy a BB.

To me, that kind of harassment is trolling. To them, it is acceptable behaviour on a BB site to people who speak their minds in ways that are not always stellar to BB.

So, trolling is a matter of perception. The person doing the trolling may see himself as a saviour or super BB fan. I consider them in rather less positive light.

Edit: And much to their chagrin, I have no intention of leaving.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    03-19-13 11:36 AM
    I can't be more agreed. It's hard not defense your mobile platform of choice, but is the right direction, I think.

I often post a one comment like "I'm tired of..." and bye, but I know that possibly is not the best tactical behavior, this is truly.
    03-19-13 11:43 AM
    here, here - don't feed the (stock market) bears!!

while we're at it, let's also not create mock/imitation troll forums as well.
    03-19-13 11:43 AM
    I open a thread like that and then usally close it and don't bother to read thru it. I have in the past replied but lately have just been ignoring. I can't stand the troll thread with 7 pages. Its red meat for a troll. I also wish we would stop bashing each other in the "speculation, Rumor" threads. Most of those were posted by a good Crackberrian that wanted to share some info or a rumor. Lets not pick apart the messanger just roll with it. If you have some proof or additional info thats fine, just don't go for the throat.
    SMocek likes this.
    03-19-13 11:45 AM

Good thing, 'cos no way in he11 I can eat all these Milky Ways myself.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-19-13 11:50 AM
    Problem is.....what is a troll.

Hey, I wouldn't let you leave this forum!!!
    You are the soul of CB!!

I always remember your admirable discussion about "exit button" at this forum. Amazing.
    03-19-13 11:50 AM
    Lately on these boards if you rant or show mention any BB shortcomings you are labeled a troll. This word is the most overused word on this forum. Way too many fanboys here, who just accept without reason for BB shortcomings. I have used BB's for the last 10 years, I really like the ease of use. But this Z10 in my opinion falls short in areas that are important to many users. I will try it when its is released, but I'm still on the bubble if the BB name or this new operating system will be enough to keep it. I have my 9810 for work, so I'm happy with that anyway and can still bridge my playbook ..
    03-19-13 12:04 PM
    Don't give in to them:
    Forum discipline - how to avoid fueling trolls-troll.jpg
    BlackQtCoder likes this.
    03-19-13 12:09 PM
    Yes. This is the problem... Troll is a vague word.

For some that means:
    Anyone who says anything negative about bb
    Anyone who says anything negative about bb with a low post count

For me personally it means:
    Anyone who isnt interest in having a mature discussion about the tech related content of a thread(and tech means the products, businesses, people, etc )

Of course, like many definitions , mine is reliant on some psychological aspects ie. The posters motivation
    But unlike the first two definitions , mine isn't reliant on the actual viewpoint, but rather on the willingness to engage honestly and thoughtfully.

I choose this because frankly, that to me is what a discussion forum is all about. Thoughtful discussion. Part ofbwing fruitful in such an environment is dependent on others havin differing views.

Now of course one must figure out why the other persons motivation is, but I try not to make a knee **** reaction. I'd I do think they are definitely not sincere than I know it is pointless to talk with them. Many people though make it clear through their posts if this is the case though.... And that's the problem with many of these alleged "troll" threads. We do not know.

I suggest to all of you that of somebody comes in and complains about bb or their z10 they may or nay
    Not be trolls. They Are almost universally decried as such, (unless they write an impassioned and lengthy disclaimer explaining how and why they supper bb...(of course a real troll could just easily claim that)) so it is CERTAIN that some honest sincere new people have come here with complaints about BB and been falsely labeled as trolls (unless you subscribe to the first two definitions). We also know for a FACT that long term members have been repeatedly accused of being trolls (unless you thinkqbnkelt is one). I posit To you, that when you enter a thread, only to call somebody a troll, or to try to lash out, or to irritate them - often using argumental fallacies or misrepresenting the others arguments merely trying to get
    Them angry, then YOU are the troll.

My suggestion: if you see a thread you think is a troll, notify a
    Mod if you have proof. If you do not have proof, then:
    1.ignore it
    2.engage politely( GIVING the benefit of the doubt) and talk about content calmly

If you reply saying "you're a troll" "this shouldnt be here" "go away" "I'm tired of this", then YOU ARE now the troll - with no intention of making a content related point - meanwhile the jury remains out on the op.
    rottonj likes this.
    03-19-13 12:16 PM
    But we need trolls.... who will keep us safe when the zombies come?
    (Little known fact: Trolls are immune to zombies)
    03-19-13 12:19 PM
    Is all about respect. You can criticize what you want, but with respect to forum and BB users, IMHO.
    Last edited by BlackQtCoder; 03-19-13 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Typo bugs
    03-19-13 12:23 PM
    Some of the newbie's use the word troll out of context when they see veteran members label someone as such and in doing do dilute and broaden the meaning of the term. To me labeling a troll isn't as difficult as some are making it seem, they all follow a pattern. Their usually new accounts created with in a few minutes they post a negative comment and then disappear and watch as our attention is taken off the topic of the blog and placed squarely on them. Same is to be said for the recent "troll" threads started as the pattern stays true, an initial statement and then the disappearance while the crackberry faithful are left dealing with the aftermath. Those are the signs I recognize to differentiate "Troll" from someone having objectivity to mobile platforms.
    BlackQtCoder likes this.
    03-19-13 12:29 PM
    [QUOTE=maxdaniels;8152835]http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ry-z10-780396/

Just reply with this. It's ideal for people with issues.
    03-19-13 12:31 PM
    Some of the newbie's use the word troll out of context when they see veteran members label someone as such and in doing do dilute and broaden the meaning of the term. To me labeling a troll isn't as difficult as some are making it seem, they all follow a pattern. Their usually new accounts created with in a few minutes they post a negative comment and then disappear and watch as our attention is taken off the topic of the blog and placed squarely on them. Same is to be said for the recent "troll" threads started as the pattern stays true, an initial statement and then the disappearance while the crackberry faithful are left dealing with the aftermath. Those are the signs I recognize to differentiate "Troll" from someone having objectivity to mobile platforms.
    Yes, this is exactly the pattern I had in mind when I started this discussion. A few firecrackers are thrown and next thing you see is the main forum board full of negative titles with mostly unsubstantiated "drawbacks" of BB10.

(I am not saying BB10 is perfect. What I want to say is that I don't want to see a lot of negative titles that are put there in bad faith, every time I visit crackberry.com - and that forum users could stop this by not replying more than necessary to postings that are evidently made in bad faith).
    03-19-13 12:43 PM
    MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY check out crackberry's homepage go all the way to the bottom and click on TERMS AND CONDITIONS ,
    03-19-13 12:48 PM