It's finally come to a head. Ads, pop-ups and other irrelevant junk have become so intrusive that visiting CrackBerry has become entirely too unfriendly. Glaring bugs still remain, and the continual addition of distractions is making it worse. I.e., mobile view, besides already being virtually unusable on my phone, has become erratic and slow with the recent addition of ads. Ditto for the full site on the PlayBook. I now loathe what was once my favorite stop on the web.

I understand that the site needs to generate revenue somehow, but the BB community for which this site is supposed to be here seems to have taken a back seat to someone's desire to wring every penny possible out of every page hit. Well, you're about to lose a whole bunch of my page hits. How unfortunate that is, especially now in this very exciting time for everything BlackBerry.
    4speed likes this.
    03-19-13 09:00 AM
    I view it just fine when I use the mobile browser on my z10 and my desktop is fine as well

Posted by my mind man...by my mind!
    03-19-13 09:09 AM
    It's finally come to a head. Ads, pop-ups and other irrelevant junk have become so intrusive that visiting CrackBerry has become entirely too unfriendly. Glaring bugs still remain, and the continual addition of distractions is making it worse. I.e., mobile view, besides already being virtually unusable on my phone, has become erratic and slow with the recent addition of ads. Ditto for the full site on the PlayBook. I now loathe what was once my favorite stop on the web.

I understand that the site needs to generate revenue somehow, but the BB community for which this site is supposed to be here seems to have taken a back seat to someone's desire to wring every penny possible out of every page hit. Well, you're about to lose a whole bunch of my page hits. How unfortunate that is, especially now in this very exciting time for everything BlackBerry.
    ya know, until i read this, this sentiment was a somewhat subliminal thought lately,,, your thoughts coupled w/ the rising harshness & failure to READ & COMPREHEND posts i've been seeing lately, from both new & old members, are compounding some other thoughts as well,,, the need for hype & foolish promotion without any percieved level headedness may result in more people following your lead...
    sleepngbear likes this.
    03-19-13 09:14 AM
    I don't notice the ads on a desktop.
    03-19-13 09:18 AM
    I only get three ads. 1 header, 1 sidebar and 1 footer. :/ And they're pretty small and I hardly notice them while browsing.
    03-19-13 09:23 AM
    The big honkin' Shop ad down the right side of the page seems to have been disappeared. But Mobile view is still wonky on my 9900. If the stars all align and the fates are kind to me, that will no longer be an issue by Friday afternoon.
    03-19-13 10:32 AM
    The big honkin' Shop ad down the right side of the page seems to have been disappeared. But Mobile view is still wonky on my 9900. If the stars all align and the fates are kind to me, that will no longer be an issue by Friday afternoon.
    Ed,

So sorry to read of your recent browsing experience here at CrackBerry. I can assure you our team is working daily on bug fixes and tweaks to make the experience better for all.

If you'd like, please email me at james AT mobilenations.com and I'll be happy to take a look into the issues you're having with ads, mobile view, the PlayBook, and anything else for that matter.

Talk soon!
    03-19-13 10:38 AM
    Ed,

So sorry to read of your recent browsing experience here at CrackBerry. I can assure you our team is working daily on bug fixes and tweaks to make the experience better for all.

If you'd like, please email me at james AT mobilenations.com and I'll be happy to take a look into the issues you're having with ads, mobile view, the PlayBook, and anything else for that matter.

Talk soon!
    Thank you!!!
    03-19-13 01:21 PM
    Interesting thing I noticed today.

Opened Crackberry.com on my 10" Android tablet using Opera for Android, and set to "Desktop mode" so the User-agent should look like a desktop version of Opera.

Crackberry rendered as about a 1" strip on the left side of the page, completely unreadable. I had to zoom it something like 800% for it to be usable. I didn't try using Opera in "mobile mode", as I typically don't want feature-sparse versions of websites and 10" is big enough in most cases so that is still practical for me.
    03-20-13 01:29 AM
    Interesting thing I noticed today.

Opened Crackberry.com on my 10" Android tablet using Opera for Android, and set to "Desktop mode" so the User-agent should look like a desktop version of Opera.

Crackberry rendered as about a 1" strip on the left side of the page, completely unreadable. I had to zoom it something like 800% for it to be usable. I didn't try using Opera in "mobile mode", as I typically don't want feature-sparse versions of websites and 10" is big enough in most cases so that is still practical for me.
    Are you able to take a screenshot of this?
    03-20-13 11:27 AM
    Yeah the ads are getting out of control. The worst one is the one that blacks out the screen and you have to click the X to get the page control back. :'( Another annoying thing is that when I browse on my droid native browser, that ad at the top of cb.com has sound and even when my phone is on silent that one always plays the music or etc on the ad. On my pc and pb and etc it won't do this. Makes stealth browsing in a meeting really hard.
    03-20-13 11:39 AM
    I don't know if the ads are out of control, but I suspect either the coding for them or the actual ads fed from the third parties is causing all the problems with the PlayBook's and some other browsers.

From another thread on this sub-forum, there was a question about which of the Mobile nations has the most members:

member rank as follows

CB - 3,754,683
    AC - 1,348,858
    WebOS - 587,844
    iMore - 181,910
    WP - 106,040

What I read from this is the site needs to pay more attention to how it renders and works on BlackBerry devices. How the site could have been rolled out with it not even working on the PlayBook or Windows IE is unfathomable, unless the staff are all on Macs and smartphones that are not BlackBerrys.

I am writing this on a Mac, so I have nothing against Macs. I would have rather used my PlayBook to write this, but the site just crashed the browser on the PlayBook. I would use my 9900, but the mobile view is broken on it as you need to scroll back and forth to read or write a line of text.

Sorry about the rant, but I just had to vent. We do have two Z10 in the house and the CrackBerry App works great for this site, but not all of the BlackBerry readers have access to a new BlackBerry to visit the site.
    03-20-13 01:32 PM
    The tablet based site works great on my playbook. The mobile is really good on my 9900 too. They both were unusable when the new site was first launched but for some reason everything is good now. I hope to have a Z10 by next week and I will gladly report back on how it handles the site.
    03-20-13 01:39 PM
    Are you able to take a screenshot of this?
    Interestingly, it looks fine today.

Thanks for asking.
    03-20-13 04:18 PM
    Interestingly, it looks fine today.

Thanks for asking.
    Spoke too soon.

Must be saving something via cookies about the environment, because after I cleared history/cache/cookies, the problem appeared again.

Screenshot to follow this post.
    03-20-13 04:21 PM
    Screenshot of what I described above.
    Attached Thumbnails Ads on CrackBerry are now out of control-screenshot_2013-03-20-14-20-52.jpg  
    03-20-13 04:33 PM
    Very strange. We're investigating.
    03-22-13 09:28 AM
    This HP add blocks half of the screen on Safari and Chrome. Grrrr. Time to rock the CB app exclusively then.
    05-08-13 05:58 PM
    This HP add blocks half of the screen on Safari and Chrome. Grrrr. Time to rock the CB app exclusively then.
    The CB10 app is a little bit of awesome. You can download it here: BlackBerry World - CB10

I also highly suggest you vote for it in the BlackBerry Developer Community Awards! Vote for CB10 in the 2013 BlackBerry Developer Community Awards! | CrackBerry.com
    05-09-13 08:46 AM
    The CB10 app is a little bit of awesome. You can download it here: BlackBerry World - CB10

I also highly suggest you vote for it in the BlackBerry Developer Community Awards! Vote for CB10 in the 2013 BlackBerry Developer Community Awards! | CrackBerry.com
    James I'm already using the app but when using the desktop it gets annoying that half of the screen is blocked and that I need to scroll up and click in the close button. Sometimes when going back to the homepage the same issue starts again.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-13 02:29 PM
    Have you tried running the site in 'tablet mode'? There should be a link at the bottom of the desktop site...
    05-10-13 10:15 AM
    Hi nope I haven't. It's happened recently. Cookies are enabled.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 01:43 PM
    When you have a few, try loading in Tablet View and let me know how that goes.
    05-22-13 09:27 AM
    When you have a few, try loading in Tablet View and let me know how that goes.
    Hi James. Still the same. Pls I thought to use my iPad instead. Now so ar I've been using all three and whatever I click on the ovum I get the annoying ad. Seriously annoying. Doesn't help and or you info. All devices accept cookies.
    05-26-13 02:49 AM
    Screenshot of what I described above.
    That's a settings issue on your part. Opera gives you options of of desktop mode or not.
    05-26-13 04:35 AM
26 12