So blackberry 10 supports flash and has good graphics and it hasn't lagged, crashed or froze yet.
    BB native apps have more and better features than ported apps
    BlackBerry 10's size is perfect for playing games, watching videos and has a great keyboard for texting.
    And let's not forget that BB users are texting freaks.
    So why the **** some devs won't develop apps for Bb10?
    What will they lose?

Posted via CB10
    meganVee likes this.
    03-18-13 05:42 PM
    I chalk it up to ignorance.

Posted via CB10 on my Zed10!!!
    03-18-13 05:43 PM
    It's got to be market share I guess. Same as virus makers and software developers stick to windows and Mac. They need a roi and the biggest market will give the quickest return . plus maybe just me but other than useful apps I don't think BlackBerry users fill their phones with craps just for the sake of it. I phone have had a lot of free advertising over the years. How many adverts are there with iphone apps which also gives apple a free plug.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-13 05:52 PM
    So blackberry 10 supports flash and has good graphics and it hasn't lagged, crashed or froze yet.
    BlackBerry 10's size is perfect for playing games, watching videos and has a great keyboard for texting.
    What will they lose?

Posted via CB10
    I think you find that a large number of Dev's didn't initially jump on board do to the uncertainty of the Z10. With so many Nay sayers, and people with little knowledge already counting Rim out. I had people tell me they were bankrupt. (they said "it must be true, I read it on the internet")??????

With the recent release and its obvious success, coupled with the pending US release, and the Sale of the 1 million units, I think you'll see an increase in the Apps. Most likely beginning to appear in the next 30-60 days.

IMHO, its is an outstanding product, with or without tons of apps.

My only real concern is I can't find a Crackberry or spark sticker for my battery cover? C'mon Kevin, give them up !!!!
    dbarz, shads77 and EsJayDee like this.
    03-18-13 05:55 PM
    Oh and BB10 users can't log into instagram now.
    Why doesn't instagram want us to use their app -____-!

Posted via CB10
    03-18-13 05:57 PM
    I think you find that a large number of Dev's didn't initially jump on board do to the uncertainty of the Z10. With so many Nay sayers, and people with little knowledge already counting Rim out. I had people tell me they were bankrupt. (they said "it must be true, I read it on the internet")??????

With the recent release and its obvious success, coupled with the pending US release, and the Sale of the 1 million units, I think you'll see an increase in the Apps. Most likely beginning to appear in the next 30-60 days.

IMHO, its is an outstanding product, with or without tons of apps.

My only real concern is I can't find a Crackberry or spark sticker for my battery cover? C'mon Kevin, give them up !!!!
    Yeah hope we'll see more apps over time

Posted via CB10
    03-18-13 06:00 PM
    What will they lose?

Posted via CB10
    There are actually a lot of things that go into deciding whether or not to support a platform. Yes, sheer numbers is the first consideration, and in a perfect world it would be the only one, but there are many others.

1. Can the developer leverage existing code? If the app is written in, say HTML5 or Adobe Air it would be relatively easy, but if it were written targeting Objective C (as many iOS apps are), you'd be starting from scratch on BB10.
    2. Is the platform growing and thriving? Even if the numbers are there now, if it looks like they're falling the devs will flee
    3. Is it a "good" platform to support? Will it affect my credibility if I support this platform?
    4. Would supporting this platform affect my relationships with other companies?

That last one can be massive, depending on who you are. Netflix is a great example: among (many) other platforms, they're available on the Sony PS Vita, which has so far sold dismally. Now, I think the Vita is Android-based, so it likely wasn't hard for Netflix to adapt their existing client, but stay with me for a moment. Sony also owns Columbia Pictures, and Sony Pictures Television has oodles of content, and Netfilx will die without good content-providers. It's not too big a stretch to say that Sony would strike a deal with Netflix to provide content, but there might be a little side agreement where Nf agrees to provide a software client for any device Sony wants. It just helps keep the wheels greased.

BlackBerry, on the other hand, has nothing Netflix really wants. If BB10 sells well, Nf won't be able to ignore it, but there's a really big critical mass it will have to hit before it's in their best interest.

And if you want to believe in conspiracy theories, it's not impossible that big app providers get pressured by Apple and Microsoft to refuse support to "marginal" platforms. I've seen no real proof of this (though there is a rumor that MS has told Facebook not to provide an Instagram client for BB10, and MS owns a small percentage of FB so I guess this gives them the right to kick up a fuss).

So, in many cases, there are some big political considerations that have nothing to do with technical issues.
    EsJayDee, AT_Nepal, eBud and 10 others like this.
    03-18-13 06:05 PM
    You mean to tell me that you used to be able to use instagram via web browser? and now they took it away? I just pre ordered my girlfriend a Z10, upgrading her from the Torch 9800. She uses instagram religiously. Shes going to be very disappointed
    03-18-13 06:09 PM
    I think once there is a few million more bb10's on the market the dev will start to flood in. AS LONG AS bbry has made it easy enough to program apps for, which I had heard that they had. Although I read a sad article somewhere saying that bb10 is still not as easy to make an app for as iOS, devs is this the case?
    03-18-13 06:09 PM
    There are actually a lot of things that go into deciding whether or not to support a platform. Yes, sheer numbers is the first consideration, and in a perfect world it would be the only one, but there are many others.

1. Can the developer leverage existing code? If the app is written in, say HTML5 or Adobe Air it would be relatively easy, but if it were written targeting Objective C (as many iOS apps are), you'd be starting from scratch on BB10.
    2. Is the platform growing and thriving? Even if the numbers are there now, if it looks like they're falling the devs will flee
    3. Is it a "good" platform to support? Will it affect my credibility if I support this platform?

That last one can be massive, depending on who you are. Netflix is a great example: among (many) other platforms, they're available on the Sony PS Vita, which has so far sold dismally. Now, I think the Vita is Android-based, so it likely wasn't hard for Netflix to adapt their existing client, but stay with me for a moment. Sony also owns Columbia Pictures, and Sony Pictures Television has oodles of content, and Netfilx will die without good content-providers. It's not too big a stretch to say that Sony would strike a deal with Netflix to provide content, but there might be a little side agreement where Nf agrees to provide a software client for any device Sony wants. It just helps keep the wheels greased.

BlackBerry, on the other hand, has nothing Netflix really wants. If BB10 sells well, Nf won't be able to ignore it, but there's a really big critical mass it will have to hit before it's in their best interest.

And if you want to believe in conspiracy theories, it's not impossible that big app providers get pressured by Apple and Microsoft to refuse support to "marginal" platforms. I've seen no real proof of this (though there is a rumor that MS has told Facebook not to provide an Instagram client for BB10, and MS owns a small percentage of FB so I guess this gives them the right to kick up a fuss).

So, in many cases, there are some big political considerations that have nothing to do with technical issues.
    Thanks that was very useful and it explains a lot

Posted via CB10
    03-18-13 06:15 PM
    You mean to tell me that you used to be able to use instagram via web browser? and now they took it away? I just pre ordered my girlfriend a Z10, upgrading her from the Torch 9800. She uses instagram religiously. Shes going to be very disappointed
    A website modified an old version of instagram for android to side-load on blackberry
    Now users can't log into this version of instagram.
    Any other version of instagram for Android works but the one that blackberry users are using won't work anymore -_-
    But you can still use the website

Posted via CB10
    rango10 likes this.
    03-18-13 06:19 PM
    You can sideload Instagrm, I'm using it now and it is a charm, Instagraming my day by day life from my Zqp

Posted via CB10
    rango10 likes this.
    03-18-13 06:23 PM
    Companies also like to try and not have to rely on each others software. There was talk not so long ago that Google were wanting to keep android for themselves and that Samsung were wanting to ditch android and have there own natives apps to break their reliance on android. There's all sorts of big corporate dodginess goes on in the background.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-13 06:23 PM
    You can sideload Instagrm, I'm using it now and it is a charm, Instagraming my day by day life from my Zqp

Posted via CB10
    Just don't log out of instagram.. If you do you won't be able to log back in.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-13 06:29 PM
    It's called supply and demand and right now the major demand and the most return on your develop investment would be writing iPhone or Android apps, that's the cold hard truth whether you like it or not.

If the z10 takes off and enough customers show an interest in purchasing apps, the developers will be there. This is just the way it is at the moment.

RIM dragged their feet getting the z10 to market and since that time allot of folks have went to other platforms who provided the support and development they where looking for.

Depending on how well the z10 does in the US launch, think there will be enough user intrest in applications that the development of new apps will be there. It's just the way the basic business model works, like it or not.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-13 06:32 PM

good explanation... i also swear i read somewhere, i can't find it now. but that bbery owned or owns shares in a media streaming company available in the u.s. which is in competition with netflix..and nf don't like that that is why they are being so awkward about developing an app for bb10.

and the are apps coming all the time so i think devs are getting on board.. it was announced td bank would not build an app for wp8 but they just announced that they are building one for bb10! which i would take as promising news..
    03-18-13 06:34 PM
    As a developer/company you need to spend big money to develop an application for a new platform....

Learn the API/tools which could take weeks to months then develop your application, test and spend money on ads and so on, which costs a lot of money.

Assuming that the final product is going to be sold for a buck, they need a lot of potential buyers before it makes economical sense.

so if I spend 20000 dollars to develop an app, just to break even, i need that many buyers, and if 1 out of every 20 z10 owners buy my app(just randomly throwing numbers here), you need at least 400000 z10 owners before it makes sense.

Now I am not saying that there aren't that many z10s, but we haven't heard any official numbers yet, which maybe why devs are holding back

anyways...that's my take on why...
    R_from_Toronto likes this.
    03-18-13 06:38 PM
    good explanation... i also swear i read somewhere, i can't find it now. but that bbery owned or owns shares in a media streaming company available in the u.s. which is in competition with netflix..and nf don't like that that is why they are being so awkward about developing an app for bb10.

and the are apps coming all the time so i think devs are getting on board.. it was announced td bank would not build an app for wp8 but they just announced that they are building one for bb10! which i would take as promising news..
    The content provider for BlackBerry's Video Store is a company called Rovi. Netflix isn't a direct competitor to Rovi, exactly, though Rovi is the provider for most VOD services on cable networks. BlackBerry says they've done everything they can to get Netflix on board, but it is possible that Rovi doesn't want Netfilx there. Certainly, both Rovi and BlackBerry make more money if customers buy/rent movies from them than if they just stream Netflix.
    03-18-13 06:45 PM
    Oh and BB10 users can't log into instagram now.
    Why doesn't instagram want us to use their app -____-!

Posted via CB10
    My instagram works fine, or is this just an issue if you recently downloaded the app?
    03-18-13 06:45 PM
    I have had few people tell me they thought they were bankrupt as well. Has a lot to do with all the negative news they got the last couple of years. Heck all these same analysts are still calling for there death.
    03-18-13 06:47 PM
    As a developer/company you need to spend big money to develop an application for a new platform....

Learn the API/tools which could take weeks to months then develop your application, test and spend money on ads and so on, which costs a lot of money.

Assuming that the final product is going to be sold for a buck, they need a lot of potential buyers before it makes economical sense.

so if I spend 20000 dollars to develop an app, just to break even, i need that many buyers, and if 1 out of every 20 z10 owners buy my app(just randomly throwing numbers here), you need at least 400000 z10 owners before it makes sense.

Now I am not saying that there aren't that many z10s, but we haven't heard any official numbers yet, which maybe why devs are holding back

anyways...that's my take on why...
    That kind of depends on what platform you've been developing on. I'd say this example only REALLY fits a developer who's been exclusively Java or Objective-C, which means they should be getting out of the house more anyway.

If you've been developing HTML5 apps for iOS, Android, or even Windows Phone your app will port to BB10 pretty easily. And while most of us are only familiar with the Android ports that are automatically converted from .apk files, a developer can actually take existing Android code, modify it, and compile it against the Android runtime for BB10. This can significantly improve performance and overall customer experience, and it honestly doesn't take the effort or expense you describe here.
    Jeff MacIntyre likes this.
    03-18-13 06:52 PM
    My instagram works fine, or is this just an issue if you recently downloaded the app?
    It works fine for anyone who side-loaded and logged into instagram before yesterday
    If you log out of instagram today you won't be able to log in back again.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-13 06:53 PM
    Instagram issues are prolly due to the native app "coming soon". who knows? maybe this month
    03-18-13 06:57 PM
    My sister in law had a go on my PlayBook and fancied getting one for Christmas. The guy in the store talked her out of it saying they wouldn't be around for much longer. She did however get a blackberry phone because she liked the keyboard, not a fan of touchscreen. Once I showed her my 9800 bridged to the PlayBook she cancelled her dongle mobile account and the ten pounds saving a month paid for the PlayBook. People need for look into what they're buying and make their own mind up if it suits their needs.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-13 06:58 PM
    That kind of depends on what platform you've been developing on. I'd say this example only REALLY fits a developer who's been exclusively Java or Objective-C, which means they should be getting out of the house more anyway.

If you've been developing HTML5 apps for iOS, Android, or even Windows Phone your app will port to BB10 pretty easily. And while most of us are only familiar with the Android ports that are automatically converted from .apk files, a developer can actually take existing Android code, modify it, and compile it against the Android runtime for BB10. This can significantly improve performance and overall customer experience, and it honestly doesn't take the effort or expense you describe here.
    This makes me wonder why some devs won't port their apps to BB.
    Some apps aren't facing the same thing you mentioned about Netflix and instagram earlier

Posted via CB10
    03-18-13 07:01 PM
66 123