Hello forum

I am about to be given a Z10 from work when it releases here next week, and as a Windows Phone user I am not really sure what to expect.

Has anyone made the move to BB10 from WP7/8 and if so, are there any pitfalls to watch out for?

My main apps used are, Twitter, FB, LinkedIn, Skydrive, Office .. main use of phone is calling, messaging, email and web. I intend to keep the Lumia 920 in the car as my main maps, but was wondering what the maps are like on BB for when I am out of the car?

I am not against moving to different ecosystems, but just like to know what I am heading into
    03-18-13 05:41 PM
    Welcome to the forums!

Cant help you much with info on the transition, but there is a ton of information here (as well as other user experiences). From what I've seen and read, the social integration is unmatched. You might want to look into Files and folders for skydrive (I'm not sure if bb10 has naitive support). I dont know if the office suite that was on playbook made it to bb10. However, google docs will work with the browser and compliments the skydrive feature.

Anyway...
    I should get my new z10 here in the next week or two, and cant wait.
    svartrayne likes this.
    03-18-13 06:07 PM
    The Z10 has docs to go, and i have personally had no issues with the maps app. Skype is confirmed to be coming and Is on the way bit as of this moment is not available.

However I did not transition from WP8

As for sky drive, the best bet would be PlayCloud. While it is not free, it's an all around amazing app, and native.

Posted via CB10
    svartrayne likes this.
    03-18-13 06:10 PM
    Hello forum

I am about to be given a Z10 from work when it releases here next week, and as a Windows Phone user I am not really sure what to expect.
    Office integration, good camera and much superior maps and wireless charging makes Lumia a better phone.
    Everything else makes Z10 a winner, hardware and software wise
    03-18-13 06:14 PM
    Hello forum

Has anyone made the move to BB10 from WP7/8 and if so, are there any pitfalls to watch out for?

My main apps used are, Twitter, FB, LinkedIn, Skydrive, Office .. main use of phone is calling, messaging, email and web. I intend to keep the Lumia 920 in the car as my main maps, but was wondering what the maps are like on BB for when I am out of the car?

I am not against moving to different ecosystems, but just like to know what I am heading into
    What would you like to know dude. I came from having two Lumia 920 and still use one with windows phone 8.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-13 06:42 PM
    What would you like to know dude. I came from having two Lumia 920 and still use one with windows phone 8.

Posted via CB10
    How did you find the switch? Was there anything you did on first setup perhaps that you would have done differently? (e.g. importing Outlook contacts, calendar etc)

How is battery life compared to the Lumia - I get almost 2 days on a charge with medium use, 1 day on heavy use.

Can you connect to your Skype/MSN friends at all through the BB messaging service?

What are your top 5 BB apps?
    03-18-13 06:57 PM
    How did you find the switch? Was there anything you did on first setup perhaps that you would have done differently? (e.g. importing Outlook contacts, calendar etc)

How is battery life compared to the Lumia - I get almost 2 days on a charge with medium use, 1 day on heavy use.

Can you connect to your Skype/MSN friends at all through the BB messaging service?

What are your top 5 BB apps?
    1. Switch was very easy and using peek and flow is just genius and a time saver. NO the OS in my opinion is not as pretty as windows phone 8 ( the animation is awesome)

2. I have an outlook account and most of my contacts imported without problem although there was several abnormalities like missing information and double contacts, probably because my Microsoft account was also linked with google/gmail. I don't have much on my calendar, that is mostly at my office so I can't comment on that.

3. Strangely enough I don't use BBM at all and barely even use Skype so once again I can't comment. Sorry

4. The only apps I really use are:CBC news, Flixster, Accuweather,Remember, XMRT remote and obviously CB app. Other than that I am not a big app user.

Remember the windows phone keyboard is grat but not on the same level as the be10 keyboard. After a few days you'll see........

Don't expect the same quality camera as the Lumia because it Ain't close in my opinion especially in low light. And you may miss Nokia here maps. However apart from that and as a business phone and also now an entertainment phone the z10 is amazing and you should give it a try.

Let me know of you have any other questions.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-13 07:07 PM
    you will only be missing the camera from the 920
    03-18-13 07:14 PM
    I own a Lumia 822 and had a chance to compare the two and in my opinion the WP8 device trumps Blackberry 10at this point. The lack of apps and the loss of integration with windows 8 for me was my main reason for not switching. Don't get me wrong the Z10 is a nice device but its too new of an OS and it lacks where I need it.

I understand you can side load some apps but they don't always work the way they should. In todays smartphone world apps are one of the most important features just look at what they did for Apple. I am also a physical keyboard person so hopefully when the Q10 is released the apps that I use will be available.
    joensgi likes this.
    03-18-13 07:23 PM
    WP 8 is a great os also but it too has many flaws so to speak. Every OS has good and bad and you need to choose what works best for you. I love both

Posted via CB10
    03-18-13 08:13 PM
    you will only be missing the camera from the 920
    And for ME the GPS and any other things. I love my z10 though, nothing more to it.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-13 08:15 PM
    I will be keeping my Lumia (playing xbox games of a night) and keeping an eye on the development of it, but I have fond memories of my Storm 2, so keen to play with the Z10
    03-18-13 08:17 PM
    I will be keeping my Lumia (playing xbox games of a night) and keeping an eye on the development of it, but I have fond memories of my Storm 2, so keen to play with the Z10
    You can always have both like me lol

Posted via CB10
    03-18-13 08:22 PM
    Hi svartrayne. Fellow Lumia 920 user here.

1. Battery life on the Z10 is very good. Maybe not as good as the Lumia, but pretty close.

2. No, you cannot connect to Skype/MSN through BB messaging by default right now like you do in WP. The seamless integration of Skype/MSN/Facebook messaging in WP with their transparent message routing through the service which is available at the moment is one of the reasons preventing me from fully switching. If you use it you will miss it.
    svartrayne likes this.
    03-18-13 08:49 PM
    Thanks joensgi - the messaging is good, but not my primary - I tend to use messaging and Skype more on my laptop than my Lumia but it is a great feature to have. How do you find call clarity and reception compared to your Lumia?
    03-18-13 09:41 PM
    I am coming from a lumia 920. I'll have my Z10 tomorrow so I will be doing a comparison of the two tomorrow of the main features like the camera, sound, gps, ect. while doing a more in depth review after a couple of weeks.

Frankly I love Nokia but I am sick of Microsoft. Skype is awful(even though BB will receive an Android port it will still be better), much better PDF support and email attachment. Better notification alerts and sound profiles. Working notifications. The way I see it, BlackBerry is Nokia but with control of the OS.
    03-18-13 09:57 PM
    The way I see it, BlackBerry is Nokia but with control of the OS.
    Interesting POV.
    03-18-13 10:11 PM
    Well, at least I hope they are like Nokia. Nokia has done a lot to help with an overall crappy app situation in WP8, at least, in my view anyway.
    03-18-13 10:20 PM
    Well, at least I hope they are like Nokia. Nokia has done a lot to help with an overall crappy app situation in WP8, at least, in my view anyway.
    Agreed, they have certainly driven the adoption of 8 (maybe through a fear of remaining relevant)
    03-18-13 10:24 PM
    Knowing what I do about the 920, you'll miss the camera and the Nokia maps.
    03-18-13 10:37 PM
    i used to be able to msn on hotmail web messenger. not sure about the new outlook
    03-18-13 11:12 PM
    You will love the peek, the Hub and the flow.

Posted via CB10
    ferazzz1985 likes this.
    03-19-13 01:08 AM
    Knowing what I do about the 920, you'll miss the camera and the Nokia maps.
    You better believe it man!!! That camera is ridiculous man

Posted via CB10
    03-19-13 05:05 AM
    I dumped my 920 for the Z10. The 920 is bulky and heavy and that is mainly due to features (great camera) I dont use much. From my experience:

- Camera on Z10 is significantly worse, also not as good as on the iphone (which has a good cam also).
    - Battery life is comparable, at least for my usage (including my push-exchange mail). You will like the option to carry a spare battery.
    - You will love how it is lighter, smaller, way better to handle and carry and not miss the slightly larger screen of the 920 at all.
    - Personally I find BB10 to be better looking, cleaner and better to handle than WP8. To be fair, I only used WP8 for a month or so, had an iphone before which is pretty similar in terms of icons and handling, sans gestures.
    -If you are a heavy user of professional services like email, calendar and tasks, BB10 is FAR superior to what I have seen on WP8, which did not only not have a simple week view in calendar but also deemed it acceptable to replace the actual titles of your events with some latin placeholders in month view. In unreadable font, but who cares, if its latin anyways. Good job there, M$.

Overall, I would recommend switching. Im glad I did.
    03-19-13 05:18 AM

Don't expect the same quality camera as the Lumia because it Ain't close in my opinion especially in low light. And you may miss Nokia here maps.
    Just curious if you've tried the mobile version of nokia maps at m.here.com and how that compares to the native experience on your nokia. Cheers.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-13 07:46 AM
33 12