Ok, so last week my BB9790 decides to reboot over and over and over about 6 to 8 times. I get frustrated and simply put my cell down for the evening. After several hours I go back to it and I re-start it. Now the top says Initialzation Failure and the upper right corner has a red SOS. I can go onto my wifi, but not the carrier network. Its not recognizing my carrier network and it only shows Rogers. Funny thing is, is I've never been on Rogers nor has the cell phone.

I cant do anything. Virgin techs, myself, and BB techs did a conference call to try and troubleshoot. It didnt work and essentially I was told to take it into a shop to get it fixed. I'm a month over the warranty. I reloaded the 7.1.0.523 OS through the desk top, did a factory reset which kind of screwed me over as now i've lost all my contacts and I cant use BB Protect to get them as it has to be over the carrier network

Any ideas? or other persons experiences? The shop says its likely an OS problem (dropped it off this morning), I was thinking SIM card reader, and the problem with spacing between the battery and the connection which causes the rebooting.

Any ideas / thoughts / experiences?
    03-18-13 11:36 AM
    I had a similar thing happen with a 9810, just kept on rebooting over and over, I tried nuking it, reinstalling everything so many times with no success. I decided to get a new SIM card since they are cheap and low and behold that did it, the phone has been working since.
    03-18-13 07:46 PM
    I was instructed to go to a Virgin booth and have them test my SIM card in a different device and it worked. Once back in my cell it wouldn't. The rep put a new SIM card in a different device to make sure it was working(which it did), then when placed in mine and it wouldn't. I honestly think the rebooting and heating up of my cell (as a result of rebooting so many times) fried my SIM card reader.

I cleared/wiped my cell through the desk top, did all this troubleshooting with step by step instruction from both tech reps during my conference call. I was literally on the phone for hours.

In reality I got two problems now:

1) Rebooting that occurs from time to time
    2) Device having the Initializaton Failure/SOS message (SIM Card reader I think)
    03-19-13 07:07 AM
    Out of warranty, replace it.
    03-19-13 07:52 AM
    Its past the warranty. I have it in a shop getting looked at and I am to call in a few hours for an update on whats wrong, if it's fixable, and how much to fix it.

Keep you all updated.
    03-19-13 09:10 AM
    Crock of BS is all I got so say!

3 diferrent shops and all 3 tell me its not fixable.....

I even tried putting the piece of paper on top of the SIM card so there would be more pressure. (this trick is mentioned in other posts) They all say its the main board.

BB/Virgin wont do anything for me as its past warranty.

I had to switch back to my old Android as I own it outright. And I still owe $300 on my super tab for BB 9790.... So as long as I pay my cell bill, my tab goes down....
    03-22-13 07:48 AM
    3 shops all say the same thing. Sorry for your frustration but at least you have a fall back device.
    03-22-13 08:06 AM
    My bold 6 is initialization fail nd is not showing network signal.what can I do?
    11-21-13 09:46 AM
    I used to have the same problem on a 9790 right out of the box. I had unlocked it and was unable to get it service under warranty. I sold it as is on kijiji. Luckily for me I found a buyer. He told me the problem is known on the 9790 and he knew how to fix it. Something had to be rewelded.

Hope this helps you. Still rocking a 9790. Got this one new for 90$

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    11-30-13 01:26 PM
    I have a 9360 with the same Initialization Failure / SOS message but before it was taking forever to charge and it was getting hot while it charge, and a few of the core app would not work.
    So think the heating up of the phone has something to do with it, or the phone was buggy form the beginning.
    So i guess there is no way of fixing it?
    12-11-13 10:09 AM