Some clarification on the tablet.

Note: Going to toot my own horn here...though I think it was the horn of plain common sense...I said in previous threads that most of Heins "mobile computing" statements were just vague spin.....designed to give soundbites, and make it sound as if there were profound visionary plans....while others argued incessantly about exactly what that meant, and how whatever it is, is absolutely coming very soon.

Well....OBVIOUSLY, no, he doesn't really know, it IS just media spin, and it doesn't mean some super laptop, unheard of gadget is coming this year! It doesn't mean BB has a master plan to revolutionize computing/electronics. I am sure there are many vague ideas floating around BB and pie sky designs being drawn...just as there are at every company....but that's all it is.

As I said before...this is actually a good thing....they are in NO position to execute plans like that anyways.....repeat: NEED to concentrate on getting a few phones out, cleaning up the OS, and getting apps.........repeat ad nauseum!!!!

BlackBerry tablet? Maybe... maybe not | Information, Gadgets, Mobile Phones News & Reviews | News.com.au
    project_x likes this.
    03-18-13 06:19 AM
    I like the way the article is written in a way that makes out the Playbook was never released. I for one am hoping a Playbook 2 is launched this year.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-13 06:51 AM
    If they were planning a cohesive operating system across the tablet, the phone and who knows what else in the future, I don't know why they abandoned the playbook operating system and forced developers to buy into a new operating system with BB10.

Can any dev help me understand why this was necessary?

Was it because they couldn't get devs on board with the playbook operating system? Was it because they felt the playbook operating system wasn't good enough for the phone?
    03-18-13 07:10 AM
    If they were planning a cohesive operating system across the tablet, the phone and who knows what else in the future, I don't know why they abandoned the playbook operating system and forced developers to buy into a new operating system with BB10.

Can any dev help me understand why this was necessary?

Was it because they couldn't get devs on board with the playbook operating system? Was it because they felt the playbook operating system wasn't good enough for the phone?
    In a way the PlayBook OS is BB10...just an earlier, tablet version of it. It's QNX based, not java based like the legacy handheld OS.
    03-18-13 09:58 AM
    I kinda hope not. I'd hate to have to replace 2 devices for newer ones just because they wont release BB10 features on Playbook. I don't necessarily want everything, just the app support really. I tried, last month, to sell off one of my Playbooks to no avail (eBay UK is apparently full of scammers) so that I could recover some of the money I put in and put it back for PB2 but what happens if they never put one out? I think they will probably do some long term support but not release a new tablet within the next 2 years. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe not.
    03-18-13 10:16 AM
    03-18-13 10:28 AM
    This is nw old news with the article coming out last week. I somehow doubt a BB official would be commenting on something like this given how tight-lipped BB has been about everything else.

There is a remote chance that this is a deliberate leak to test the waters and see how much interest there is for the tablet in general, but TH has not wavered from his message that he wants a good business case before proceeding. It sounds like he is looking at niche activity for a tablet (automotive or health care or both) which can be a sizeable market and for which margins can be quite strong, particularly in health care.

Sometimes business opportunities present themselves where they are unexpected, and perhaps testing the waters by leaking out information is a way to see if an opportunity lies there. We'll just have to wait and see. I don't think a tablet is coming out before fall though at the earliest.
    03-18-13 10:52 AM